What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: potassium peroxymonosulfate every now&then  (Read 10642 times)

stiffy

potassium peroxymonosulfate every now&then
« on: September 14, 2004, 07:33:13 pm »
When chlorine is added to the water, it combined with ammonia and nitrogen compounds from bathers to form chloramines. These chloramines (also known as combined chlorine) smell bad, and they are eye and body irritants. Not only that, they also disable the free chlorine. Chloramines are still disinfectants, but they are 40 to 60 times less effective than free chlorine. And in a  spa, you want a fast, effective kill. Therefore, we want the presence of a lot of free available chlorine. So we need to get rid of the combined chlorine.

permonosulfate compounds do not kill or disinfect like dichlor they simply control organics and combined chlorine (Chloramines), helping assure that the chlorine can do its job as a sanitizer.

Thats why IMO it is a good idea to add permonosulfate
as a shock every now and then.

Any coments or views
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:19:47 pm by stiffy »

Hot Tub Forum

potassium peroxymonosulfate every now&then
« on: September 14, 2004, 07:33:13 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: potassium peroxymonosulfate every now&then
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:39:46 pm »
When chlorine is added to the water, it combined with ammonia and nitrogen compounds from bathers to form chloramines. These chloramines (also known as combined chlorine) smell bad, and they are eye and body irritants. Not only that, they also disable the free chlorine. Chloramines are still disinfectants, but they are 40 to 60 times less effective than free chlorine. And in a  spa, we want a fast, effective kill. Therefore, we want the presence of a lot of free available chlorine. So we need to get rid of the combined chlorine.

permonosulfate compounds do not kill or disinfect like dichlor they simply control organics and combined chlorine (Chloramines), helping assure that the chlorine can do its job as a sanitizer.

Thats why IMO it is a good idea to add permonosulfate
as a shock every now and then.

Any coments or views

Relaxed,
You've come so far since your stiff days!

sniff.... we're so proud! :'( ;)

stiffy

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:01:46 pm »
Why thank you, sorda proud myself too.. Stu

Also, just just trying to give back what this forum has given me. ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 08:04:18 pm by stiffy »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 08:04:44 pm »
BTW, I think your right on track!

stiffy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 08:14:49 pm »
You and PPOL drove my curiosity helping with the greencloudywater dalema....THat just set me on a fact finding mission.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:18:29 pm by stiffy »

stiffy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 06:21:21 pm »
"WOW" this topic has sparked only Stuart??????????

UnderTheStars

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 06:31:25 pm »
Nope, we've just all come to recognize you as the master chemist. . .me?  I'm stickin to Thermopain Beer Kozie

stiffy

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 06:42:35 pm »
Master researcher, maybe. Master chemist, not a chance still to green behind the ears.

Kozies rule in da summer time!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:43:52 pm by stiffy »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 09:52:05 am »
Relaxed

I agree with you.  An MPS shock every once in a while may be a good thing.  I may be wrong, but I think that non chlorine shock oxidizes a little different than chlorine and it may not be a bad idea to alternate or do a combination.  This is something Northman suggested in his routine a while ago.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 10:20:01 am »
My Hotspring dealer is telling me to use Dichlor shock once a week and MPS before each use.  I he on track or should I do something different?  I am worried about TDS accumulating with some much MPS usage.

My Vista should be here next week and I want to start off on the right foot.

Jonathan

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 01:18:09 pm »
My Hotspring dealer is telling me to use Dichlor shock once a week and MPS before each use.  I he on track or should I do something different?  I am worried about TDS accumulating with some much MPS usage.

My Vista should be here next week and I want to start off on the right foot.

Jonathan

Jonathan, did you get the EverFresh system (Ozoone/Silver Ion/et.al) with your Vista? I'm guessing that maybe you didn't given the direction to shock with dichlor every week. I was told to shock weekly with 6 tblsps of mps and add 2 tblsp before entering. Like you, I was concerned with TDS and sanitation as well, because the only dichlor mentioned was 3 tspns with initial fill or changing water. After the reading I've done here I'm experimenting with alternating weekly shocks with mps then dichlor. I also depending on how many use the tub on one occasion add dichlor afterwards. So far (3 weeks) so good.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 01:22:54 pm »
Warko,

Yes I am getting the complete Everfresh system with my spa.  I was told by the dealer to use what he called, enhanced shock once a week.  I think it is dichlor.

I think I will have to experiment like you are doing.  
Any other HS owners with the Everfresh system care to comment on what they are doing?

Jonathan

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 01:38:15 pm »
I have the everfresh as well.  MPS before each use and diclor shock every week.  I'm just in my 2nd week and all has been fine except for high alkalinity and PH due to very hard water.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 01:39:04 pm by tonyp »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 02:41:03 pm »
Ok, so I've had my tub for a year now.

I started with the everfresh system.  I used MPS every now and then, to help clear up cloudy water when I was still a novice with the chemicals.  Once I had used all of my MPS, I now only use dichlor.  Haven't had any problems, no cloudy water and very little foaming, unless it is time for a water change, which would happen with the MPS as well.  Anyway, my dealer quit selling hot tubs in January.  I haven't bought a new Everfresh cartridge since then.  (I know I can buy the N2 and get it to fit, I just haven't...procrastination is in my blood.)

I have ozone, and between that and my dichlor use (which hasn't increased, really) my water has been great.

I figured, simple is good.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 02:43:32 pm »
How often do you use the dichlor and how often?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 02:43:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42