What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: General question on insulation- add some or NO ?  (Read 2689 times)

bachman

General question on insulation- add some or NO ?
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:09:25 am »
I've got some remnant thick, rubber type of foam available. Maybe closed cell or something and very soft / pliable flat panels, not the typical more rigid preformed 'tubes' to wrap on plumbing lines. Probably just enough to line the inside panels of two windward sides.

Our tub is a 2005 Marquis and we live in in Colorado.... just wondering if the front facing side of my tub and where the access panel is would benefit from this if I were to line the inside of the skirting along this North / Northwest facing side ? Winters here have fairly mild temps on average but lows below 20 often. We've already had a few of the low teens and maybe one single digit night. This morning, my house showed 10*f at 7am.

As I understand, these designs by many reputable tub makers are considered 4 season and probably should not be modified to cover any venting for the motors but maybe the chill of the cold temps and winds would be mitigated some on the windward side/s of the tub, N and NW ? 
It's a no cost option for me so just a matter of using something I already have and not a lot of time or work invested. My guess is some have already done this, tried or considered adding something in the colder climates.

Thanks in advance if you care to inform, comment or add any thoughts.  8)

Hot Tub Forum

General question on insulation- add some or NO ?
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:09:25 am »

swilly1000

Re: General question on insulation- add some or NO ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:22:13 am »
I read a few times on HTU and even in this forum a suggestion to bundle the insulation into contractor bags and stuff it into the cavity inside the tub, making sure to leave plenty of space around the motors to allow them to breathe.

Hope that helps!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:13:11 am »
I've got some remnant thick, rubber type of foam available. Maybe closed cell or something and very soft / pliable flat panels, not the typical more rigid preformed 'tubes' to wrap on plumbing lines. Probably just enough to line the inside panels of two windward sides.

Our tub is a 2005 Marquis and we live in in Colorado.... just wondering if the front facing side of my tub and where the access panel is would benefit from this if I were to line the inside of the skirting along this North / Northwest facing side ? Winters here have fairly mild temps on average but lows below 20 often. We've already had a few of the low teens and maybe one single digit night. This morning, my house showed 10*f at 7am.

As I understand, these designs by many reputable tub makers are considered 4 season and probably should not be modified to cover any venting for the motors but maybe the chill of the cold temps and winds would be mitigated some on the windward side/s of the tub, N and NW ? 
It's a no cost option for me so just a matter of using something I already have and not a lot of time or work invested. My guess is some have already done this, tried or considered adding something in the colder climates.

Thanks in advance if you care to inform, comment or add any thoughts.  8)

Adding insulation to any tub is beneficial as long as proper jet pump motor ventilation is achieved.
Retired

bachman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »
Thanks for the comments. It does make sense it can't hurt if done properly.

I'm hoping my first bill due any day now will be one of the higher or highest one's I get for a while since it's the fill and heat plus almost a full month of heat to maintain.

~ bachman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42