What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a used hot tub that needs repair  (Read 2383 times)

BDsCycles

Buying a used hot tub that needs repair
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:20:27 pm »
So, new units are kind of pricey.  Around here people will practically give away used hot tubs.  I'm not H20 oblivious, as we have a pool we use in the summer time.  I am thinking about finding a used hot tub.  I don't need (or want) a bunch of bells and whistles.  In fact, I'd prefer something simple, as it's less maintenance and things I have to worry about fixing.  I'm quite handy, and unless I am missing something, these things are pretty simple devices: a pump (with an inlet/discharge, and a power source) and a heater (which sounds like the element on a water heater)   Outside of that, maybe a light. 

Is it wishful thinking to believe I could find a simple unit that needs some new parts or repair and just do it myself, even removing or simplifying some of the features in the process?  Aren't pumps and heating elements available online (Amazon/Ebay) at reasonable prices, in the event I have a unit that needs parts or repair?  I can do most plumbing and carpentry jobs I need done myself, I have my own MIG welder, workshop with compressed air and plenty of tools, and have been repairing boats, motorcycles, and cars (as well as anything else that breaks!) for most of my adult life.  I keep thinking "there can't be much to these hot tubs..." but also don't want to waste my time and money on a never ending project.

What say you?

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a used hot tub that needs repair
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:20:27 pm »

bud16415

Re: Buying a used hot tub that needs repair
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 08:17:20 am »
If you are handy and have the time why not give it a try. I will say new hot tubs are a lot like new automobiles. Where you used to be able to change the plugs and oil and air cleaner put in new points and set the timing and get a old car running like new again, that is no longer the case.

Hot tubs have electronics now and a computer of sorts and sensors all over the place measuring this and that. Then they are sealed up with foam and everything is potted in place. You can remove the sides and dig out the foam and fix things once you figure out what is what. Tubs that are older and been sitting also have nasty gunk inside the lines and knowing the previous owner and his habits on keeping the tub healthy is a must. Old tubs people give up on often don’t get drained 100% and winter freeze will cause leaks. Jets and stuff are specific sometimes to a brand and I would stick with the major brands.

Lastly if you are a DIYer you don’t want to defeat any of the GFCI safety functions of the tub. It is no fun getting 240v into a tub of water with you and your loved ones in it.

Like most things today when someone is giving something away for free there is a reason. But if you look around you can find a deal. I bought new but I would conceder a lightly used hot tub for say half price. Lots of people buy then thinking they will use them a lot and don’t and get tired of maintaining them.     

bachman

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 04:23:24 am »
We lucked into one as free and offered to us just as we were about to go looking at some over 2 months ago. Got it set up and working great now for going on three weeks.

I had an idea to get one for my wife and was ready to start some other related landscaping, really just wanted to look at sizes so I knew what to plan for and might be a few months away from pursuing a new tub.
Shortly after the offer, the guy called to say his breaker was tripping and he thought it was the heater.
I researched heater parts, prices, how-to videos, and it was $130 investment via Amazon and a 15 minute job for me. I'm not exceptionally handy, talented or even very patient.

I mention this because a few weeks ago, I was looking at used tubs, prices etc... and a nice brand and model (older like mine) and maybe a Marquis was listed at $2200 and needed a heater, est of p/l $750.
Might have been an 09 model year. Could it have been a $3500 to $4000 value ??  I think so aside from the $750 est and the fact that I just did that work myself costing me 15 minutes of my time and $130 for the part.
That's likely the way I'd go and Bud has some great points to ponder above.  Look for the better rep brands a few years old as used and you may get one that needs nothing. Mine is a 2005 Marquis and looks and works perfectly.
The better brands sometimes mean the orig buyer spent the $$ to get a good quality brand and takes decent care of their stuff, no guarantees though.

Also, I suspect some hot tubbers get all excited about it for 3 - 6 months or 2 - 3 years then lose interest for any number or reasons.
You can likely screen some of the deals you see, posting some info here and get input a long the way, good luck !

~  b

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 04:23:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42