What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine every day?  (Read 8686 times)

brenrn

• Go Vols!!!!
Chlorine every day?
« on: September 10, 2004, 02:02:24 pm »
Hi all!  I'm having to add dichlor every day and am wondering if this is normal.  We haven't used our tub at all this week b/c we were away and it's been ridiculously humid.  In any case...I check the chorine every morning and each time the kit is reading either none or very little chlorine in the water.  I have a Caspian and I shock each week with 4TBSP of MPS plus we add 1tsp of dichlor each time we use the tub.  This week I've added 1tsp each morning after I've checked.  After I add it the test reads in the normal range.  Where the heck is all my dichlor going?  My pH is fine, around 7.4.

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine every day?
« on: September 10, 2004, 02:02:24 pm »

huh?

• "42"
Re: Chlorine every day?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:28:19 pm »
Are you using any kind of a mineral filter, Like Nature 2?
¿

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 04:15:08 pm »
brenrn,
Why not use dichlor to shock instead of MPS?  You'll get the added effect of superchlorination as well as oxidation, especially if you are not planning to soak for a while afterwards.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

brenrn

• Go Vols!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 07:23:30 pm »
 Are you using any kind of a mineral filter, Like Nature 2

Nope...I have ozone and there's a silver ion cartridge in the filter compartment...but other than that just MPS and dichlor.

brenrn

• Go Vols!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 07:24:57 pm »
brenrn,
Why not use dichlor to shock instead of MPS?  You'll get the added effect of superchlorination as well as oxidation, especially if you are not planning to soak for a while afterwards.
 8)

The dealer had recommended the weekly shock with MPS and it came with our startup chemicals so I'm using it.  When it runs out though I'm thinking I may switch over to dichlor only.

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 07:30:51 pm »
Alot of the mineral filter/cartridge types (ie. Nature 2, Eco pur, correct me if Im wrong Silver Ions) are designed to neutralize or "remove" the chlorine once it has done its job.  You will introduce it to the spa, it will kill the nasties and it will be "filtered" out.  Like I said, I am not familiar with the silver ions, but your "problem" is common with those types of systems, and it is working correctly.  

Think of it like a BRITA water filter.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 07:31:25 pm by huh »
¿

stiffy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 07:32:05 pm »
Potassium monopersulfate is used as an auxiliary oxidant (shocking agent) in swimming pools and spas for the purpose of reducing the organic content of the water. It is the active ingredient in most non-chlorine shock products designed for use in swimming pools, and it’s the active ingredient in essentially all non-chlorine shock products formulated for use in spas and hot tubs. Shock products containing potassium monopersulfate provides many benefits.
>> It will not produce chloramines or generate irritating chloramines odors
>> It can promotes maximum sanitizer efficiency by oxidizing and eliminating contaminant waste
>> It restores sparkle and clarity
>> It is gentle on pool surfaces—dissolves quickly and completely and will not bleach or fade vinyl liners or painted surfaces
>> It will not raise calcium hardness or increase cyanuric acid stabilizer levels
>> It is easy to use—simply broadcast uniformly over pool water surface, with filter running, to ensure complete mixing and circulation
Potassium monopersulfate fits easily into most water treatment programs for all types of pools and spas and provides sufficient oxidation to enhance sanitizer efficiencies and produce clear, sparkling water.
Potassium monopersulfate can be added to pool water day or night, and swimming can resume after a short waiting period to allow for adequate mixing and dispersion throughout the pool. No mixing is required—potassium monopersulfate is completely soluble in water and dissolves quickly. Broadcast monopersulfate shock slowly and uniformly over the surface of the water, adding about two-thirds of the total dose over the deep end. Shock with the filter running to ensure complete mixing and good circulation.

Was in with the Chlorine only until clear water issues now Potassium monopersulfate shocks once a week have provin the answer.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 07:33:50 pm »
If your using the Nature II then I have a system that works great for me. I add about 1-2 oz of a product called Enhanced shock, it has MPS in addition to a bit of Chlorine. I don't try to meet the chlorine level on the test strip and if I don't use the tub for a week or so then I add a couple oz of chlorine with the cover off to let the spa "breath". My water stays crystal clear.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 07:08:12 pm »
I'm not sure your chlorine dose is adequate.  My tub holds 500gal and I have 4-5 users daily.  I dose 3tsp dichlor daily and shock with 3TBL dichlor weekly.  Our water looks clear, has no smell and feels good.  Some weeks ago, I tried using less dichlor and the water got hazy after 2-3days, I resumed the dose above and the water cleared and has stayed that way.  You want to make sure your daily dichlor raises you to 3-5ppm CL.  Its natural for the chlorine level to drop after some hours, dichlor doesnt hang around for extended amounts of time, it dissapates...thats why you have to add it daily.  When I dose in the evening with 3tsp, by morning when I check it some 10hrs later, the CL is 1.0 or less.  

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 07:52:38 pm »
Calico,

Make it a little easier. 3tsp=1T.
¿

Roborph

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 08:33:05 pm »
 Yeh I'm with Calico. My tub is 480 gal and I use about the same amount of dichlor, a little less but I don't have that many people in my tub each day. No problems!!!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 08:36:45 pm »
Brenrn,

You should have very little chlorine left the next morning.  The chlorine will disappate as it oxidizes.  This will let you get in the tub, soak and relax, add your dichlor, then by the next day, you can soak in very little chlorine.  It has done its job.  You should only add the dichlor when you get out of the tub.  The shock is fine, if you want, you can shock with dichlor, but don't think the chlorine level will remain constant at all times.  It won't!!!

Relax and take your time!  The water maintainance will come to you!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 08:14:30 am »
I read an advertisment for MPS up a few responses. But it failed to mention the drawback of higher TDS because of it's use. 25 times the cost of dichlor. Dichlor will oxidize cloramines better than MPS with a much lower dose thus a lower TDS reading.

I am not an advocate of MPS usage but I do however use it in combination with dichlor on every other shock
Retired

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 10:28:41 am »
If one uses only dichlor with which to shock, one advantage is not having to buy/stock yet another chemical....certainly a point to consider.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
Hey Huh
I have known for years about 1TBl = 3tsp, I was only relating to the poster in their terms as not everyone might know that.  But thanks for your sarcasm, goes well with coffee and croissants this Sunday morning.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 10:50:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42