What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My spa shopping experience  (Read 3525 times)

KC-SWO

• Waiting for my new deck, Dreaming of my BC 750
My spa shopping experience
« on: September 10, 2004, 12:32:02 pm »
Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been shopping for a spa for 2 months now.  We bought a new house, and finally
have a really good spot to put one, plus we want
to spoil ourselves a bit.  Who doesn't?

I have been browsing this site for a while, without
posting, and must say there is a wealth of info here.

We have looked at many spa dealers, and wet tested
Cal Spas, Coleman, Coast, Emerald, and Beachcomber.
Sorry I do not remember all the model numbers, but
we tested at least 2 of each.
Sundance, Marquis and Jacuzzi are not sold within
100 miles of where we live, so they were not tested.

One comment I would like to make is that I do not think
that the spa dealers take my wife and I seriously when
we are shopping for a spa.  We are both in our
mid-twenties, and it is as if they don't believe that we
will buy a good tub.  The prices the dealers list are
at least 2-3+ thousand more than prices discussed here,
with the dealers not wanting to haggle at all.

I think we have decided on Beachcomber for our spa.
We were most impressed by our Beachcomber dealer,
and with their tubs.  We liked the simple style, and
yet design thought that went into the design of the
BC tubs.  Very few gimics, and solid construction.

It also helps that 5 of the 6 people that I know that
own tubs, own BCs and love them.
We are strongly leaning towards a 750 as it is the first
tub that both my wife, and I have really liked.
We are trying to decide on what options.
(Man, the stereo is expensive.)

My one concern is how difficult is if going to be to setup
the tub, and get used to the maintenance schedule?
My BC dealer is 75 miles away.  I can't rely on them for
regular water testing.  The water at my house is from
a well, if that matters.

Also, my BC dealer says that BC Canada has exclusive
chemical system, Carefree (??) that works really well
on hot tubs?  Any comments/experience with it?

Cedar or Enviro skirt?

Thanks for the good info in the other forum topics,
and hopefully soon I will join you as a happy spa owner.

Hot Tub Forum

My spa shopping experience
« on: September 10, 2004, 12:32:02 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: My spa shopping experience
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 01:24:26 pm »
Welcome to the crazy world of spa shopping and comparing apples to bananas. Welcome to this forum as well! :)

As I'm grooving Usher's "YEAH", I'll try to answer some of your great questions.

Not taking a younger couple serious in this industry can be commonplace. These are $8000.00 + and you just don't fit the demographics my friend. Sorry...you'll have to wait till your 32 to purchase even if you can afford one now!! ;D
Just kidding. If they're not taking you serious...LEAVE and write a letter about your experience and why you purchased another spa. As a sales manager, I hope I never receive one of those letters.

As for pricing, keep in mind that most of these people are crazy Americans. Said lovingly of course. ::) That said, pricing will differ on location (within Canada) based on shipping costs, overhead, etc. It shouldn’t be thousands though.

Beachcomber is a great product. Aquacoustic surround sound? Uhhhh not my fav. Get some nice outdoor speakers. Sorry fellow Beachcomber salespeople.

You will be given a printout of your water care. 10 minutes a week is all it should consist of and a sample once a month at the dealer would help. It's tough initially, but after a couple of weeks it's no prob! Carefree is good. I understand they have come out with Carefree pucks as well. It's a chlorine based system with a number of products built into it already. It does require the user to add it by hand every day or two (depending on use) but if these pucks are available, it would be even easier. There is a very high success rate with Carefree and dealer support is strong. My suggestion is to take a sample of your well water into the dealer next time you go so they can tell you how to balance your water. Every well is different. Is there an option of getting water trucked from elsewhere?

The 750 is the best of the best in that line. You'll be blown away! Go with the Enviroskirt. It's awesome. Twilight is my recommendation with Sandstone acrylic.

Let us know how it goes.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 01:25:14 pm by Steve »

KC-SWO

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 01:45:28 pm »
Thanks Steve.

The sales treatment thing I am getting used to.
It has happened all my life, with every major purchase to date.  Only in extreme cases do I now walk away.

There is an option of trucking in water, but then I would
not be able to test the water until it arrived.
The well water I could pre-test as you suggested.
The initial chem setup is one of my largest concerns.
What does everyone recommend for home testing?
Can I test my own water accurately enough?

The 750 is the WOW model, and I guess it worked on me (and my wife)

We have been offered what seems to be a good deal on a 750, twilight cedar skirt, silver acrylic tub, fully loaded.  It is MUCH cheaper than a comparable tub from my local dealer.  It is more inline with prices listed here.  We are really thinking about it.  The thing is that it is not from my BC dealer, but the 2nd closest.
It may make service more difficult for me to schedule.

OnMedic

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 01:50:54 pm »
KC,

I think there are many tubs out there at the same level, but like myself, you shouldn't be disapointed with BC.

Be sure that you are talking about the LE series, which include everlight, Foot Message and Hush Pump. Although many say forget the garden lights, we wish we got them as it have been almost as expensive to add the low voltage lighting in antique copper and matching antique copper solars.

We were along the same line as you, wanted a good solid build without all the gimmiks and toys. We purchased the 740LE and love it. That said, we would not choose the lounger would we do it again and go either 730 or 750. Our is Twilight Enviroskirt and Stirling Shell, with Steel cover and step.

It has run flawless with the exception of a "sensor" that went down in the second week. I call at 5pm and the dealer had a tech on-site next day before noon, and it has been perfect since! You can see it at:

www3.sympatico.ca/onmedic

I think you are on the right track, just time to open there eyes and let you know you WERE serious!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 10:26:46 pm by OnMedic »

KC-SWO

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 02:02:11 pm »
I've let them know I am serious about buying a spa.
And I have let them know my desired timing.
We bought a new house, deal closes Oct 12, want the spa to be delivered soon there after.
I have also told them that I will not need to finance the tub.

The tub we are seriously thinking of is fully loaded.  It has the hush pump, turbo, garden lights, etc...
The only thing I don't know if I want the cedar skirt.
I have had good luck with other vinyl product, fences, decks etc.  Well that, and I'm not sure I like the dealer that offered the deal as much as my local dealer.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 02:25:55 pm »
Hello everyone,

One comment I would like to make is that I do not think
that the spa dealers take my wife and I seriously when
we are shopping for a spa.  We are both in our
mid-twenties, and it is as if they don't believe that we
will buy a good tub.  The prices the dealers list are
at least 2-3+ thousand more than prices discussed here,
with the dealers not wanting to haggle at all.

Welcome to this forum!  Others will address other parts of your excellent post, but you were the first one to mention the point above and it reminds me of a story (The rest of the forum growns  ;D  Hey, I didn't get to 700 posts by being shy!)

20 years ago when my wife and I were your age and bought a new house and we had some extra money to put new carpeting in.   We planned on staying there for the rest of our lives and were going to pay whatever we needed to for the best carpeting.  

We walked in to this 20,000 sq ft showroom full of samples and the salesguy took us straight to the cheapest crap he had.  About that time a couple about 20 years older in a new Mercedes pulled up and this guy left us so fast I think he teleported to the door.  We left immediately and the couple in the Mercedes wasn't too far behind us, I think they were looking for a particular salesman who didn't work there any more.
His loss, and now 20 years later we are looking at more carpet, guess where we won't go? That's Rite!, we won't be buying Rugs there! (Intentional pun for you Columbus forum members)  ::)Rite Rugs for the rest of you.  ::)

Anyway, getting back to the point,  in the case of spa, many people, not just younger people, look 8-10 times before they buy.  A signicant number, looking for the first time find out all the cost involved and put off buying for years.  I've found if you mention in some subtle way that your ready to buy that is when they get serious.  Heck, if cash is in hand, they would sell to Osama himself!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

zzaphod42

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 04:35:50 pm »
I've let them know I am serious about buying a spa.
And I have let them know my desired timing.
We bought a new house, deal closes Oct 12, want the spa to be delivered soon there after.
I have also told them that I will not need to finance the tub.

The tub we are seriously thinking of is fully loaded.  It has the hush pump, turbo, garden lights, etc...
The only thing I don't know if I want the cedar skirt.
I have had good luck with other vinyl product, fences, decks etc.  Well that, and I'm not sure I like the dealer that offered the deal as much as my local dealer.

Is it possible that the dealer farther away is trying to sell you a floor model, whereas the closer dealer is offering a brand new custom order?

Also find out what taxes are being charged. Something that changed for us this year in Ontario is that we no longer "charge" Pst on our tubs. Instead it is "included" in the price. Why? Short answer is the Ontario Government. I do not have enough details (or interest) to provide the long answer.

Joe

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 09:24:08 pm »

Welcome to this forum!  Others will address other parts of your excellent post, but you were the first one to mention the point above and it reminds me of a story (The rest of the forum growns  ;D  Hey, I didn't get to 700 posts by being shy!)

Uhhh, you are well past 800 now!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 11:01:55 pm »
Welcome
I liked what Steve said.  His advice is very sound.

I'm sorry that the shopping experience hasn't been what it should or could be!

I would just add one other quesion to ask, What charges, if any, are there to service the spa under warranty since you are a distance away from the dealer and how well do you think you can respond considering that distance? (ok 2 added thoughts)
:o

I have heard some good things about BC.

KC-SWO

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 07:42:17 am »
The farther dealer is offering me a model he has in stock.
Not on his floor.

My dealer has models on his floor, but doesn't seem
interested in dealing on them any more than a new
tub.

I'm including taxes, delivery and setup in both prices
as well.

I think we are going to buy this tub.  I can't find any
real reason not too.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 07:42:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42