What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: More Installation Pictures  (Read 5596 times)

Shut_Down_Stranger

More Installation Pictures
« on: September 07, 2004, 11:47:09 pm »
The following are my installation pictures, the hot tub project grew, as we decided to fix a drainage problem that we have had as well.  The entire project took about 2 months to complete.  You can click on the links as multiple pictures are provided. If you are on dial-up it may take a bit of time.

Preparation http://members.cox.net/jim69bird/Preparation

putting in drainage (the area between the patio and the hill was a must as the area would not flow. That is where I met Hilti (jackhammer). I put in the new drain system myself ... and many many wheelbarrows of dirt were removed. (about 8 yards) What was not shown were the 2 trees and river rock that was removed from the area. Jessie, the golden reteriver, was quality control. The area that is boxed with 2 x 4's is the flat zone for the Hot Tub. The retaining wall was in the process of being extended the day that these pictures were taken.

Pouring the Concrete http://members.cox.net/jim69bird/Pouring

This was the big risk/reward shot because we went with a different color (San Diego Buff) of concrete and a stamp pattern. The real messy part was putting the terracotta color on top. At this point in time there was nervous peeps in the household because the color was really really terracotta... But then we stripped the top color away .. well, power washed, acid washed and scrubbed, be more accurate.

Finishing http://members.cox.net/jim69bird/Finishing

Once the stripping of the terracotta was done, a lacquer finish brought out all the color that we had hopped would be there.  You can also see the stub-up for the electrical (along the wall, and in the center of the patio area).

But as I indicated, there was a specific objective...

Complete http://members.cox.net/jim69bird/Complete

The tub is a Hot springs Grandee, we are happy with the choice and the fact that we got the upgraded cover lifter. Installation was handled very professionally. Included in the final product, are 6 outdoor speakers wired into the home stereo ( a 300 disc and a 200 disc changer linked), so music is never to far away

The running line was that we needed the Hot Tub in order to do all this work.

and yes, beer holders are very important.

SDS

Hot Tub Forum

More Installation Pictures
« on: September 07, 2004, 11:47:09 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: More Installation Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:08:18 am »
Absolutely exquisite! It's too bad you covered it up with stuff! (like a HS!! J/K  ;) ) ;D I love it.... looks great and well worth the effort. You really look nice in that color sweater!  ;)

Steve

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 01:30:45 am »
I am the person in the second set of pictures (Pouring), 2nd one down, hand on hips with a roll of duct tape in hand, assuming the classical supervisors / engineers pose. No way that I was going to attempt pouring or finishing concrete.

the person in the picture is my good friend, a neighbor, who is a concrete finisher, who helped with the project.  It was his idea to lacquer finish the concrete to bring out the color and definition of the staining.

his motto was preparation is the key to a good job.

it helps to have friends.  

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 01:42:15 am »
Wow,

Looks like one of those home improvement show's.

You have done One Nice Job.

Congrat's

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 08:29:38 am »
Very very nice.  Now I know I have to get to my landscaping..  I really like yours and it shows just how nice a paradise can be.   :D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 09:24:29 am »
I am the person in the second set of pictures (Pouring), 2nd one down, hand on hips with a roll of duct tape in hand, assuming the classical supervisors / engineers pose.  

Reminds me of when I got my first SLR camera,  my Dad and uncle were installing running boards on his truck. I put my camera on a tripod, set the self time, then ran to get in the picture of the guys working.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 10:10:58 am »
Looks like an amazing amount of work: and good planning.

Did you end up with the conduit in the right place when it was all said and done? I ask because I have worked with many people who try to come up as you did, and they all seem to miss the mark by an inch or two. some of them were not planning on room around the spa as you have, so they end up cutting into the spa or running new conduit above their new concrete or whatever. Did it work for you?

What a great job!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 11:07:24 am »
An exquisite set-up. Congratulations, You could have a second career.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 02:12:53 pm »
Very nice installation.  I really like the look of stamped concrete.
Enjoy.
Regards, Zz

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 02:17:24 pm »
Very nice installation.  I really like the look of stamped concrete.
Enjoy.
Regards, Zz

Agreed, my first attempt at stamping came when it was a 95 degree sunny day and the concrete wasn't moist enough and set too quickly. Whats worse than pouring concrete? Breaking it out and putting it back in again.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 10:01:47 pm »
Looks like an amazing amount of work: and good planning.

Did you end up with the conduit in the right place when it was all said and done? I ask because I have worked with many people who try to come up as you did, and they all seem to miss the mark by an inch or two. some of them were not planning on room around the spa as you have, so they end up cutting into the spa or running new conduit above their new concrete or whatever. Did it work for you?

What a great job!

The conduit came up within an inch of where I needed it. Measured probably 10 times just to make sure. One of the items that I allowed for was a cetain amount of slop for the installation so that an exact location was not necessary. (Engineers trick, as it would be too difficult to set everything without a solid foundation.  

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 12:20:19 am »
Hi...

It looks great...How are you enjoying the tub...I was wondering what did you pay for the stamped and colored concrete....do you know the per ft cost....if you don;t mind me asking..... :D

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 07:19:10 am »
I agree with everyone.  It looks great!!!  (I can't believe I haven't replied yet!!

*Sigh*  Maybe I will get some decoration done soon, but if I wait on my husband...well...let's just say, the greenhouse he bought a year before I bought my tub...the greenhouse is still in the box, never been opened.  And, to top it all off, most of the orchids (they were in every room of the house) are pretty dead.  

*Shrug*  I have my tub up and running, so that is all that really matters!!!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 11:11:30 pm »
Hi...

It looks great...How are you enjoying the tub...I was wondering what did you pay for the stamped and colored concrete....do you know the per ft cost....if you don;t mind me asking..... :D

Well, it is kinda hard to say, because I did most of the work myself with the aid of my neighbor. But the breakdown is as follows

400 square feet.

$750 for 6.5 yard of concrete (100/yard+100 short load delivery)

$200 for concrete pumper.

$900 for 3 concrete finishers + 1 helper. + case of beer for when they were finished.

$55 for the bucket of terracotta. (1/2 used)

$275 to rent the stamp for the day.

$30 for the acid.

$100 in miscellaneous materials tape, plastic, and viscuine. (the black stuff)  

$150 for rebar

$60 for good quality underlying fill dirt, cause soil is crappy here.

I have heard that a pro will chage 6 to 7 dollars/ft2 if they do it all themselves, (less digging and other prep work.

of course southern california can be more expensive because of the cost of living.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 11:20:28 pm »
Shut Down,
You forgot  

$50 for beer

$5 in Aspirin

and.....  Reading the envy in all of our posts after looking at you pictures - PRICLESS!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 11:20:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42