What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Black Mold Issue  (Read 3086 times)

FL Person

Black Mold Issue
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:40:56 am »
I have a Bullfrog R6.  Hindsight is 20/20 and when I bought this about three years ago, I was concerned my extensive travel would make it difficult to keep the spa maintained. Bromine in a floater seems to maintain the water well enough but above the water line, I've got issues.

The underside of the cover has pretty extensive black mold.  I'd sprayed it with bleach more than once, which made it look nearly as good as new, but it comes back.  I'm fairly certain the mold is on the inside of the cover and that's why it returns.  I'm willing to replace the cover to nip this in the bud.

But even with a new cover, my concern is all of the nooks and crannies above the waterline on the top of the Jetpaks and all of the related hardware that also have black mold.  I'm draining the tub as I type this and will give it a through cleaning but there are just too many crevices where I can't simply wipe the mold away.

What can I spray on these areas that will kill the mold but won't wreak havoc on the water chemistry once refilled if any residue remains? 

The arrow below is just one example of the places I'm concerned about.  I'm afraid if this mold isn't killed, it will flourish when the spa is refilled.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Black Mold Issue
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:40:56 am »

FL Person

Re: Black Mold Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:51:53 pm »
I'm on my way to drop the old cover at the dump and pick up a new cover at the dealer.  $500 +tax for a new Bullfrog R6 cover.  Seems a bit spendy; I'm not sure how that compares to other dealers but I really have no choice.

As for the rest of the visible mold on top of the Jetpaks, under the Jetpak "covers" and everywhere else it's visible, I've washed it all as best I can with a hose and I've sprayed all areas several times with distilled white vinegar, which according to Google searches, is an effective mold killer.

I hope this has killed the active spores.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:27:21 pm »
Super chlorinate also.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 04:19:04 pm »
Yes, you'll wanna make sure you have ALL of that mold cleaned up, I would do as much hand cleaning as possible, then fill it and either super chlorinate like mentioned or use a 'Spa Flush' product just as precaution...new filters as well.  Cover price is on par with what we sell them for....$400-$600 for a good quality spa cover is typical, partially because shipping a 4' x 8' x 12" 50lb box across the US isn't cheap

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 04:19:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42