What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Shock After Each Use  (Read 3487 times)

Baleklocoon

Hot Tub Shock After Each Use
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »
I am running a Jacuzzi J-315 with UV and Ozone. I'm starting to read that I should shock my hot tub after each use (I use every day). If I shock after each use, so every 24 hours give or take. Is there a real need for me to continue using my bromine tablets?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Shock After Each Use
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »

Thisismyname

Re: Hot Tub Shock After Each Use
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:51:50 pm »
UV, Ozone or shock are not sanitizers.

You need bromine/chlorine as a sanitizer.....i'm not familiar with bromine tablets but you definitely need some sort of sanitizer active in the tub. 

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:53 am »
UV, Ozone or shock are not sanitizers.

You need bromine/chlorine as a sanitizer.....i'm not familiar with bromine tablets but you definitely need some sort of sanitizer active in the tub.

I use 1" bromine tabs in a floater with a mineral stick and shock with dichlor every few days.

Baleklocoon

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:43:03 am »
I guess what I was thinking is, if I shock after every use, that should completely sanitize everything.  How much bacteria is going to grow after the shock, with no organic matter being introduced, in 24 hours prior to my next use?  My reason for asking is I think it would be nice to shock with chlorine after each use, then all the chlorine will likely be gone before my next use, and I can enjoy a chemical free hot tub before I shock it again.

Thisismyname

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:17:55 am »
What are you using as a shock?  DiChlor then fine....but  MPS is not a sanitizer.

Baleklocoon

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 05:42:04 pm »
I plan to use DiChlor daily after each use, and ditch the bromine tablets. 

Am I right in thinking that minimal bacteria growth will occur between using DiChlor and my next use 24 hours later?  And since chlorine is not stable, chlorine levels will be very little or even zero 24 hours later?

If I ever go out of town and won't be able to do the daily shock, then I would put the bromine tablets in while I'm away to keep bacteria from growing.

bradleyabell

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:16 am »
I guess what I was thinking is, if I shock after every use, that should completely sanitize everything.  How much bacteria is going to grow after the shock, with no organic matter being introduced, in 24 hours prior to my next use?  My reason for asking is I think it would be nice to shock with chlorine after each use, then all the chlorine will likely be gone before my next use, and I can enjoy a chemical free hot tub before I shock it again.

You never want to soak in a "chemical free" tub...This allows bacteria from people's bodies to spread like wild fire and can cause things like hot tub folliculitis.  Do a quick google search on that and you will understand.

Certified106

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 10:23:29 am »
I check my FC levels often and never let them get to 0 ever. I try to keep them between 4-6 with a CYA level of 35.

Baleklocoon

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 10:30:14 am »
Got it. Thanks everyone.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 10:30:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42