What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for a 3 person hot tub (for a tall person)  (Read 4737 times)

jmdaz

Looking for a 3 person hot tub (for a tall person)
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »
Hello-

I apologize up front for the length of my post.  Just trying to give a clear picture of where I am in the process, what I'm looking for, and what I've looked at thus far.

I've been back and forth and all over the place in what I think I want, and I've pretty much settled on a smaller hot tub, fitting 2, possibly 3 people.  It would be rare if we actually had 3 people in there, and I suspect I will be the only one in there often times after workouts or yard work.  I do like the idea of having a lounger.  I was hoping for some feedback on what tub might be best.  My issue is I come from a football family (broad shoulders and I'm 6'3"), so my concern is having enough room.  Maybe a 3 person tub just isn't feasible for someone of my height and frame; I don't know.

There are 4 tubs I am looking at: the Jacuzzi J315, the Caldera Spas Kauai, The Cal Spas KONA PPZ-534L, and the Dimension 1 Triad.  The Santa Cruz is nice but the local dealer is pretty bad, so I don't want to go down that road.  I looked at Sundance and HotSpring but they are higher priced than I would want to go as I'm trying to stay around $8000 for everything, not including electrical or retrofitting my deck.

The nearest Bullfrog dealer is 90 minutes away, so I don't want to go for that as I'd like to go through a dealer that is local and in good standing.

I looked at the Marquis Spirit but I'm pretty sure I'd be too tall for the lounger.

This would be my first hot tub.  I don't need all the fancy LED lights, speakers, waterfalls, etc.  I am looking for a quality tub that can last a long time if cared for properly, and a good warranty, just in case.  I'm not looking for anything fancy; just something that will do a good job.  I also need something that will keep out critters.  I live in a heavily wooded neighborhood with plenty of little animals around, so I need something that will keep them out.

So that is where I'm at now.  Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking for a 3 person hot tub (for a tall person)
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »

castletonia

Re: Looking for a 3 person hot tub (for a tall person)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:38:48 pm »
I would avoid the Cal Spas.  As a Caldera dealer, I think the Kauai will be too shallow for someone of your height, but at least dry test to confirm.  I  have never been in a Jacuzzi J315 or D1 Triad so I cannot comment on those.  I would seriously look at the Marquis Spirit.  It's a deeper hot tub that I think would work better than either the Caldera or Jacuzzi.

jmdaz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 11:03:22 pm »
Thanks.  I do plan to wet and/or dry test them.  Just trying to get a leg up and see if else my size has one of these and what their thoughts are.  And I'll add the Spirit to the list to check out as well.  Thanks!

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 11:15:25 am »
Since you have a Caldera dealer, check out the Martinique.  I know it is a little bigger hot tub, but it really is only going to fit 3-4 max. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:17 pm »

So that is where I'm at now.  Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!

In my 12 years here I have told people not to buy too big of a tub planning on lots of guests visiting, but in your case, consider a 3-5 person tub. As a tall person you can sit across two seats and get different jet actions than shorter people can. I sit on the bottom of my tub and use the foot jets on my back or thighs.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

jmdaz

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:59:55 pm »
Thanks again for the tips.  I'll plan heading out and taking a wet test as soon as my schedule permits.  Any idea what a ballpark figure is on the Martinique (steps and cover included) without the fancier add-ons such as blue tooth, waterfalls, etc?  I'm in Indiana, if that helps.  I'm trying to stay at or under $8,000 if possible.

Also, I've talked to a few people who say the base/underside is something to investigate.  With all the small wildlife in my area, I've been told that can be an issue.  Not sure if that's a legitimate worry or just mis-information.

Thanks again!

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:37:39 pm »
I don't think your going to get into a Martinique for under $8k unless you have a dealer who is super aggressive with their pricing, or has one they really want to move.  I would expect pricing to be between $9k-$10k, but its up to your dealer to determine their pricing. 

As for the base, most quality hot tubs will be sealed up at the bottom and a visual inspection will confirm that. 

jmdaz

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 10:02:30 pm »
Ok sounds great.  Thanks again to everyone for the info.  This place is been fantastic in terms of getting good info.  It's VERY much appreciated.

Baleklocoon

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 01:23:16 pm »
Thanks again for the tips.  I'll plan heading out and taking a wet test as soon as my schedule permits.  Any idea what a ballpark figure is on the Martinique (steps and cover included) without the fancier add-ons such as blue tooth, waterfalls, etc?  I'm in Indiana, if that helps.  I'm trying to stay at or under $8,000 if possible.

Also, I've talked to a few people who say the base/underside is something to investigate.  With all the small wildlife in my area, I've been told that can be an issue.  Not sure if that's a legitimate worry or just mis-information.

Thanks again!

I just bought a Jacuzzi J 315 with the upgraded 2.5hp (new option not previously offered) pump and Ozone added for 7500 plus tax. I'm 5'9" and have to stretch for my feet to tough the foot jets when I'm in the lounger. I think it would be good for a tall person.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 01:23:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42