What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Guidance on top priorities when shopping for hot tub  (Read 2543 times)

kniquy

Guidance on top priorities when shopping for hot tub
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:03:38 pm »
Very new here!! We are just starting our hot tub shopping venture.  We have a budget of ~$8000+/-.   We know we need a 5 person tub and would like one lounger.  We are fine with using chemicals vs spending extra for a saltwater system. I think we are leaning between sundance (maybe peyton or ramona seem to fit our budget) or something in the hot springs line (not sure which model will fit our budget - maybe flair).

I would like to know:
when you first went shopping what questions did you ask? is the wet test essential or have you bought with just the dry test?  I owned a hot tub quite  a few years ago, but i imagine there is a lot more out there for options and care/maintenance.

I see some with ozone also some with circulation pumps -- - are these necessary or vital to tub/water maintenance? benefits or drawbacks to either?

I would like to have a good basis to know what i am looking for and have an idea of what they are talking about before heading to the show room.

Is there a better time of year or time of the month to try and push for the best deal?  I know sales jobs depend on getting sales and would presume the end of the month would provide a push to make a deal -- any thoughts?  or does it not matter in this industry.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:04:29 pm by kniquy »

Hot Tub Forum

Guidance on top priorities when shopping for hot tub
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:03:38 pm »

Sam

Re: Guidance on top priorities when shopping for hot tub
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 04:12:11 pm »
You'll find most people here recommend a wet test but the vast majority of buyers do not do this.  Sometimes it can be difficult to wet test the exact model that you are interested in because most dealers only have the ability to fill a couple spas out of dozens.

Ozone is not necessary but a lot of places price it into their final sales price because everyone thinks they need it (or something similar).  Circ pumps are also unnecessary, though you can make a compelling argument for one.  I wouldn't let it be an ultimate deciding factor.  Fyi, a saltwater hot tub simply makes chlorine out of salt which is sodium chloride.

My best advice is to stick with the reputable brands and pay attention to the dealer and how they do business.  My short list would be similar to most here and includes; Hot Spring, D1, Jacuzzi/Sundance, Bullfrog, Artesian, Marquis, maybe Arctic or a couple of others.  I recommend staying away from Cal Spas, Master Spas, the myriad brands out of that factory in tenessee that owns catalina and many would agree with that assessment.

Compare warranties and not just the overall year description of the warranty because some companies put weird exclusions or prorations in there.  Look at fit and finish. See if you can get them to pop off a panel and look inside. At least sit in it dry if you can't wet test.  Look at the types of jets used.  Smaller jets tend to be cheaper, high pressure/low flow jets which don't feel as good. to a lot of people. 

That's probably my best "where to start" advice.

silversun

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:28:04 pm »
 i would ask the dealer if you can wet test the tub your interested in, not because i think you need to (and for the record, i dont think you need to) but because it's a revealing indicator about your dealer. If they're customer-centric, they will make every effort to get your tub on site and filled with water so you can wet test it. this is an indicator of how well they'll treat you after the sale.

If they give you any pushback to wet testing, or ask you to put a deposit, you may want to consider trying another dealer.

I usually just listen to their pitch. listen to what they choose to highlight about their product, and what they stay away from. I'd ask about water maintenance. see how they recommend customers treat their water. Its another indicator. If they mention that you don't need any chlorine or bromine, again consider walking because they are likely not being honest with you.

Sundance is a great brand, and they do a lot of things very well. I bought an optima last year and i've been very happy with it overall. You really can't go wrong if you get a good brand from a good dealer.

Piper Matt

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:02:17 pm »
I usually just listen to their pitch. listen to what they choose to highlight about their product, and what they stay away from. I'd ask about water maintenance. see how they recommend customers treat their water. Its another indicator. If they mention that you don't need any chlorine or bromine, again consider walking because they are likely not being honest with you.

I went through the first-time purchasing process last fall as well.  First off, read the forums and educate yourself as much as possible about the products you're interested in.  From there, I echo Silversun's advice.  If you're eyeing a particular brand or two, maybe save them for later in the shopping process.  Visit a few other dealers, hear their sales pitch, ask them questions.  You will be much better situated to evaluate the dealers/products you are most interested in by the time you've heard a few other sales pitches.  Good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:02:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42