What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a new hot tub in the mountains of Western North Carolina  (Read 3356 times)

Gravelydude

Been lurking on this forum for quite some time, trying to listen and learn. We had a Jacuzzi 355 tub for 12 years at our home in Fort Myers, FL. Now we live in the mountains in NC, and wife is pushing for a hot tub. We want to make sure what we buy is suitable for us, so this time around we are wet testing. 

We started at a Bullfrog dealer that was 2 hours away.  We had wanted to test an R7L. We both want a lounger. The dealer told us they had an A7L available for wet testing, so we drove the 2 hours to discover that the spa was actually an A7 (no lounger). We wet tested anyway, and neither of us were impressed. We asked if they had any additional jet packs that they could swap into the tub to try, and they said no (even though there was an empty A8 in the showroom.) We were quoted $11,700 for an A7 with cover and steps before tax, and $10,400 for an R7L with cover, lifter, and steps. 

So then we went to the closest dealer, about 25 minutes away, who only carried Hot Springs. We tested a Sovereign, which we both thought was just OK.  But we did both like it better than the Bullfrog, even though it seemed to lack a little on “oomph”.  Then tested an Aria NXT which we both liked a lot.  A lot of features on that model that don’t mean much to us, however.  So, we got a price on a regular (not NXT) Aria. $10,499 before tax with cover and “liftnglide” cover lifter.

So my questions are: Is this a reasonable price for this tub?  I see that the NXT has “Polymeric Substructure” (Bullfrog influence on the market?) and a “Polymeric Base Pan”. I am assuming that the regular Aria does not have these 2 features.  Are these features important?

Thanks!           Jack

Hot Tub Forum

d00nut

Re: Buying a new hot tub in the mountains of Western North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:32:35 am »
Been lurking on this forum for quite some time, trying to listen and learn. We had a Jacuzzi 355 tub for 12 years at our home in Fort Myers, FL. Now we live in the mountains in NC, and wife is pushing for a hot tub. We want to make sure what we buy is suitable for us, so this time around we are wet testing. 

We started at a Bullfrog dealer that was 2 hours away.  We had wanted to test an R7L. We both want a lounger. The dealer told us they had an A7L available for wet testing, so we drove the 2 hours to discover that the spa was actually an A7 (no lounger). We wet tested anyway, and neither of us were impressed. We asked if they had any additional jet packs that they could swap into the tub to try, and they said no (even though there was an empty A8 in the showroom.) We were quoted $11,700 for an A7 with cover and steps before tax, and $10,400 for an R7L with cover, lifter, and steps. 

So then we went to the closest dealer, about 25 minutes away, who only carried Hot Springs. We tested a Sovereign, which we both thought was just OK.  But we did both like it better than the Bullfrog, even though it seemed to lack a little on “oomph”.  Then tested an Aria NXT which we both liked a lot.  A lot of features on that model that don’t mean much to us, however.  So, we got a price on a regular (not NXT) Aria. $10,499 before tax with cover and “liftnglide” cover lifter.

So my questions are: Is this a reasonable price for this tub?  I see that the NXT has “Polymeric Substructure” (Bullfrog influence on the market?) and a “Polymeric Base Pan”. I am assuming that the regular Aria does not have these 2 features.  Are these features important?

Thanks!           Jack

Low price on the Aria.  If you feel the dealer is good, then you got a good thing going, I'm quite a bit more.

Polymeric substructure isn't going to make any difference to you or your overall hot tubbing experience.  I had a regular "standard" Vanguard with a wooden substructure in NH... no issues.  The Poly is for a look they are trying to achieve with the NXT.

Make no mistake, BF makes a great hot tub and I am not ragging on the sub-structure.  However, I don't believe the substructure is something that should be a determining factor when comparing quality brands, as you aren't necessarily going to get 10+ more years out of it over another quality brand.

Gravelydude

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 12:36:48 pm »
Thanks for the insight and the evaluation of the price.  We are not looking for a rock bottom price, just reasonableness.  Accordingly, your opinion there is very insightful.  Lets us know we are on the right track. 

Thanks,
                                                       Jack

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 01:10:06 pm »
 That Bullfrog dealer is an idiot!  Best part of a wet test with them is swapping packs and seeing what the customer does or doesn't like.    You had a Jacuzzi for 12 years, any dealers around you?  I have a J-355 and love it.

Gravelydude

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:30:05 pm »
Hi Jim,

No argument from me about the Bullfrog dealer.  My wife and I both asked him about trying more jetpacks, but the salesman just evaded that question.  There is a Jacuzzi dealer about 2 hours away in Asheville.  They said that they would deliver a tub to us.  When we tried to arrange a wet test on a Saturday, they said that was a bad day, and they couldn't do it.  We may try to arrange a wet test there yet.  We both loved the Jacuzzi, but most of the seats were a little low for my wife.  She said that the Hot Springs Aria seating was a lot better for her.  Happy Wife, Happy Life!

HAPPY FOURTH!!                  Jack

d00nut

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 06:15:33 pm »
That Bullfrog dealer is an idiot!  Best part of a wet test with them is swapping packs and seeing what the customer does or doesn't like.   

The largest competitive advantage... and they choose not to use it?  One of my biggest problems with Bullfrog is that all the great dealers are self taught.  I think Bullfrogs on-boarding process sucks the big one...  A lot of dealers they choose to sign up do the brand no justice...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:06:38 am »
Hi Jim,

No argument from me about the Bullfrog dealer.  My wife and I both asked him about trying more jetpacks, but the salesman just evaded that question.  There is a Jacuzzi dealer about 2 hours away in Asheville.  They said that they would deliver a tub to us.  When we tried to arrange a wet test on a Saturday, they said that was a bad day, and they couldn't do it.  We may try to arrange a wet test there yet.  We both loved the Jacuzzi, but most of the seats were a little low for my wife.  She said that the Hot Springs Aria seating was a lot better for her.  Happy Wife, Happy Life!

HAPPY FOURTH!!                  Jack

You're finding out why we always tell people on this site to wet test. Let that be your guide!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:06:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42