What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another newbie overwhelmed by brands, dealers, etc.  (Read 7277 times)

tlhfirelion

Another newbie overwhelmed by brands, dealers, etc.
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:42:21 pm »
I think I'm kind of settled on the Hot Springs Limelight Flair.  That said, I've arrived at that conclusion because the only hot springs dealer near me (of only a few total)  was very helpful, not pushy, and offered a wet test anytime we'd like.  That said, it is an expensive venture and I know there are other brands that make a good product, so I figured before we proceeded, I'd get online to see what the hive thinks.  lol  So many brands, so many options, it's hard not to get overwhelmed. 

I also feel a little more comfortable with using a vender close because I EXPECT there to be repairs and issues.  I'm perfectly capable of finding and repairing leaks, replacing parts, etc after the warranty is over and the 20 parts availability warranty of HS spas was kind of important. 

My goal when researching tubs is to find the toyota camry of hot tubs.  I don't need fancy things like waterfalls, light shows and radios.  I'd like a reliable, straight forward, but nice hot tub that will give me many years of trouble free service.  In turn I will treat it like I do my cars.  All maintenance will be done on or ahead of time. 

So is this a good tub?  If I need to work on it, will that be a nightmare or are they pretty straightforward?  We'll be headed to the dealer tomorrow to look at it and possible get a wet test set up.  Just don't feel like showing the whole store my farmers tan.  lol  Any other brands we should look at?  Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

Hot Tub Forum

Another newbie overwhelmed by brands, dealers, etc.
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:42:21 pm »

Snowba

Re: Another newbie overwhelmed by brands, dealers, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 07:09:16 pm »
It took a couple wet tests to really dial in what worked for us, so I wouldn't start thinking you've found your tub until you've really tried it. If you have the time, just bring a suit and try it tomorrow when you go!

tlhfirelion

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 07:37:03 pm »
It took a couple wet tests to really dial in what worked for us, so I wouldn't start thinking you've found your tub until you've really tried it. If you have the time, just bring a suit and try it tomorrow when you go!

You make a valid point.  I've sat in plenty of hot tubs in houses, hotels, resorts, etc.  They all seemed fine, the hotel ones of course are rather weak jetted and bland.  I know this won' be that but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.  I sit in it, it's hot water with jets, ok I'll take it.  lol 

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:40:44 pm »
As a Hot Spring dealer, I have a bias.  I think they are a well made hot tub by an exceptional manufacturer.  I think they are pretty straight forward to work on and parts availability should be good for years.

If you are comfortable with the dealer and the wet test is good, then I see no reason not to.  Not sure what your budget is, but I would also look at the Aria.  It’s going to be more money, but it’s my 2nd best selling Hot Spring (Grandee is my best seller).

tlhfirelion

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:57:37 pm »
As a Hot Spring dealer, I have a bias.  I think they are a well made hot tub by an exceptional manufacturer.  I think they are pretty straight forward to work on and parts availability should be good for years.

If you are comfortable with the dealer and the wet test is good, then I see no reason not to.  Not sure what your budget is, but I would also look at the Aria.  It’s going to be more money, but it’s my 2nd best selling Hot Spring (Grandee is my best seller).

I always appreciate when people start with their interests.  That speaks well of you so thank you for clarifying you sell them.  I would have to call my local dealer and ask about the price but if it's more, I'm already kissing the top of my budget with the limelight flair at 12K out the door, so I don't think I can make that work.  Does Hot Springs have a yearly blow out sale?  Like Ikea always has a yearly kitchen sale or something along those lines.  If it's coming up, I'll wait. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 09:38:59 pm »
 No dis on HS but 12 grand for the Flair?   A lotta spa's out there that could fit the bill at a somewhat lower price.  Any good brand of spa's parts are available.   One spa is really no harder to work then another these days.    Like I said not dissing HS they build a nice spa, IMO I wouldn't pay 12 grand for the Flair.  But that's me. 

Curious what else is around you for brands? 

JustAnotherNewbie

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 12:21:43 am »
I'm going to add my 2 cents. I agree with Jim, $12k is substantial and there are many that should be considered. I know its so exciting right now, and you want to pull the trigger.  I personally  wet tested 3 brands, 6 tubs, and changed my mind a couple times. I'm glad I did and did not buy my first choice. Good luck.

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 02:08:33 pm »
$12k for a Flair is high, unless it includes ACE or stereo.  Aria would be more, so I would rule that out then.

You are about 5-6 months late on close outs.  Hot Spring redesigned the Limelight series this year so if you could still find a 2017, then you could get a good deal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 09:57:05 pm »

You might want to state what you're getting for $12k besides the spa and cover. What else is in the package? Is that the negotiated price or the initial price quoted? Have you wet tested?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tlhfirelion

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 08:13:52 am »
No dis on HS but 12 grand for the Flair?   A lotta spa's out there that could fit the bill at a somewhat lower price.  Any good brand of spa's parts are available.   One spa is really no harder to work then another these days.    Like I said not dissing HS they build a nice spa, IMO I wouldn't pay 12 grand for the Flair.  But that's me. 

Curious what else is around you for brands?

I’ve been calling around a bit further away from me, up to 1.5 hour drive.  I did find the flair for 9700 at one place.  I asked a local spa repair guy who to speak with.  He requested a place close to me that sells Marquis tubs but I don’t know what models are equivalent to the flair as far  as options or if Marquis is a decent tub.  This place also sells lazy boy tubs and hydro pool.  Thanks for your reply. 

tlhfirelion

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:14:49 am »
I'm going to add my 2 cents. I agree with Jim, $12k is substantial and there are many that should be considered. I know its so exciting right now, and you want to pull the trigger.  I personally  wet tested 3 brands, 6 tubs, and changed my mind a couple times. I'm glad I did and did not buy my first choice. Good luck.

I need to make a short list which I guess I’m in the process of now. Then I plan to do a wettest. Thanks for the reply. 

tlhfirelion

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 08:16:05 am »

You might want to state what you're getting for $12k besides the spa and cover. What else is in the package? Is that the negotiated price or the initial price quoted? Have you wet tested?

Both quotes on the flair I’ve gotten include steps, cover, cover bracket (which I assume is the arm) and starter chemicals. 

castletonia

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 09:03:38 am »
Just an FYI.  The dealer that you buy from is the only dealer that is obligated to perform service work, warranty or not, on your hot tub.  A dealer 1.5 hours away will likely charge service call fees related to the distance from their store but also will not likely be able to be as responsive to service needs as a local dealer would.

Marquis makes a quality hot tub.  The Marquis V84L and Reward would probably be the ones most comparable.

d00nut

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 01:17:45 pm »
Just an FYI.  The dealer that you buy from is the only dealer that is obligated to perform service work, warranty or not, on your hot tub.  A dealer 1.5 hours away will likely charge service call fees related to the distance from their store but also will not likely be able to be as responsive to service needs as a local dealer would.

Because of that, it's worth going back to the original dealer to see what the differences are... if any in the deal.  Maybe they will be flexible?

I made a deal.  A dealer 5 hours away from me was undercutting me by $1500 on the same spa.  They didn't include financing... and wrote in the contract quote that they would charge $600 for warranty labor and they would be able to do the work within 3-4 months of being told about it...

I met the customer halfway but told them I wouldn't charge a thing in warranty.  Everybody wins

bradleyabell

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »
My goal when researching tubs is to find the toyota camry of hot tubs.  I don't need fancy things like waterfalls, light shows and radios.  I'd like a reliable, straight forward, but nice hot tub that will give me many years of trouble free service.  In turn I will treat it like I do my cars.  All maintenance will be done on or ahead of time. 

Sounds to me like a Nordic tub would be right for you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42