What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotspring ACE Salt System with Envoy NXT 390 Gallons  (Read 5766 times)

Aquatub88

Hotspring ACE Salt System with Envoy NXT 390 Gallons
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:11 pm »
Hello,
I am a new hottub owner with ACE System. I would like to know how much salt and with what frequency do you need to add salt to the water?  Do you need to use the manufactures salt product or can you use table salt or similar? 
Can you count on the ACE system to generate enough residual so that you do not have to supplement with granular dichlor?
Thank you in advance as I get use to this new system.

Hot Tub Forum

Hotspring ACE Salt System with Envoy NXT 390 Gallons
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:11 pm »

castletonia

Re: Hotspring ACE Salt System with Envoy NXT 390 Gallons
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:46:53 am »
Your ACE system would come with a 6lb container of salt.  It says on the back how much to add.  It will be close to the entire container (I can confirm when I get into work).  Whether you can or cannot use other products, I honestly do not know.  Considering the financial investment you made with the hot tub and the ACE system, I would just use what Hot Spring recommends.

Whether or not you will have to add dichlor or not depends on the usage and what setting you are running ACE at.  I suggest to my customers to shock once a month with dichlor. 

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 12:04:25 pm »
Envoy needs 2,500 grams of salt.  For reference, the container is 2,722 grams.  After the initial addition of salt, there is no specific timeline for when you need to add more, it is on a need be basis.

Aquatub88

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:54:04 pm »
Thank you for your help.

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:38:00 pm »
Table salt has iodine... ACE Salt doesn't.  That is about the only difference.  I always teach my customers that less is more when it comes to the ACE system.  Less shocking (I only do that when I have abnormalities in my hot tub use.)  Less watercare products (MPS... stain and scale... I both avoid.)  Less other crap (aromatherapy.)  I pretty much use ph adjusters, dichlor, and salt.  Other than that... I am good!

Aquatub88

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:03:31 pm »
I like the less is better and that is how i keep my pool.
I am noticing on the Hotspring test strips I am not showing the chlorine residual. The ACE system is set to 3 and is in the middle of the green / good range on the indicator.  My pH and Alkalinity are spot on and the hardness is in the 25 to 50 range again spot on. The water is crystal clear.
Should I be seeing a chlorine indication on the test strips?  Am I better off testing with a Taylor test kit?  If you are familiar with the ACE water chemistry I would like to understand what is going on.  Thank you !

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:41:41 pm »
If you have the ozone system still in there you won't find a chlorine residual.  That's okay, that's how I use my spa.  If you take the ozone out, you should easily maintain one.

Aquatub88

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:44:42 pm »
So, yes the spa comes with the ozonator that runs with the circulation pump that is always running. I guess my question is how do you test for the sanitizer with the ACE Generator and Ozone System ?  If test strips will not show your sanitizer level what can you depend on to ensure you are at a proper , safe level?  Again, the water is crystal clear- I want to know that I am utizing thebACE System but not overutizing it in terms of its setting 1 to 10 and what is needed by the tub at 102 degrees. ?

castletonia

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »
You first need to find out if the ozone is still hooked up.  Many dealers remove it or disconnect it when installing ACE.  As for testing for a chlorine residual, like D00nut said, ozone eats up the chlorine residual so it will always read zero, or close to that.  Generally speaking, clear water with no funky odor and balanced pH should indicate you are good.  If ACE was not keeping up with the demand, then the water would have a foul smell and be cloudy.

Some people just prefer a chlorine reading too, just an FYI.  I have many customers that have freaked out when they get no chlorine during a test.  In those instances, we disconnect the ozone.  They usually bump up the ACE setting by one and are good to go.

Aquatub88

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:18:51 pm »
I understand what you are saying with the lack of visual indication on the test strips (chlorine residual) except after adding a cap of dichlor to shock.
My tub does have the ozone on so I assume that is why I do not see indication of chlorine on the test strips.   

dishdude

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:26:34 pm »
You should never need to add additional salt, and in my opinion the ACE cell has a finite lifetime so I only use it to keep the baseline chlorine level there. I add a small amount of Clorox (do not use splash-less or scented) after using the tub to take care of the bather load, and let ACE handle the times the tub isn't being used.

ACE only has a one year warranty and the cell is over $700, so don't rely on it as a sole source of chlorine. I burned my first one up doing that.

This is just my opinion from ownership experience.

Aquatub88

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:48:49 pm »
Thanks again.  I spoke to Watkins Customer Support this afternoon and I confirmed that my Ozonator is operating in conjunction with the ACE system so my test strips will not show a chlorine residual and I will have to depend on the visual clarify of my water as well as PH, Alkalinity and Hardness settings.  It will take some getting used to but based on the water clarity and perfect test strip, I should be in good shape.

dishdude

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:49 pm »
Thanks again.  I spoke to Watkins Customer Support this afternoon and I confirmed that my Ozonator is operating in conjunction with the ACE system so my test strips will not show a chlorine residual and I will have to depend on the visual clarify of my water as well as PH, Alkalinity and Hardness settings.  It will take some getting used to but based on the water clarity and perfect test strip, I should be in good shape.

Your test strips should show chlorine! The ACE cell reacts with the saltwater to produce chlorine. If there is no chlorine in the water, you have a big problem on your hands.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 01:12:46 am »
 Call me crazy, but have you tried talking to the dealer you spent 9+ or 10+ grand with?  While the info here is great, you should be banging on the dealers door for help as well!

d00nut

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 11:34:06 am »
Your test strips should show chlorine! The ACE cell reacts with the saltwater to produce chlorine. If there is no chlorine in the water, you have a big problem on your hands.

You know nothing.  We literally just talked about this... 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 11:34:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42