What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Flashing FL2 Error on at high temp???  (Read 8329 times)

kenbulmer

Flashing FL2 Error on at high temp???
« on: June 01, 2018, 10:13:08 am »
Hi There.  I'm new to the forum and wanted to post something for some troubleshooting help.

I bought a used 2008 Jacuzzi J335 about a year ago.  It was in sweet condition when I bought it and since I've had it I've had to replace the temperature sensor and recently had to replace the circ pump.  I'm seeing some strange behavior though.  Since replacing the circ pump I'm seeing a flashing FL2 error on the panel.  Strange thing is that this ONLY happens when the temperature is 102 or higher.  If I lower the temp down to 100 I never see the error.. as soon as it hits 102 the error comes back.   When the error is there everything in the tub still functions.. both main pumps, the circ pump and the heater all still work.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?   I could just replace the flow switch but I wondered if there might be something else going on.

Thanks for any help.

Ken
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:37:26 pm by kenbulmer »

Hot Tub Forum

Flashing FL2 Error on at high temp???
« on: June 01, 2018, 10:13:08 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Flashing FL1 Error on at high temp???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:20:57 pm »
  when you turn the temp down the system is no longer calling for heat, so the error code goes away.   You say it runs fine and heats when the flo error is present?  If so, that really should not be possible, specially the heating part of it.

How's the filter?

kenbulmer

Re: Flashing FL2 Error on at high temp???
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 06:37:00 pm »
Sorry - miss-typed original post.. it's FL2 error that's flashing.

So yeah - it's weird.  FL2 doesn't necessarily flash when it's heating.. only once the heat gets to 102.  If I let it drop to 99 I can heat to 101 with no problem and no error.. if I let the temp get to 102 then FL2 starts flashing... in that state it's almost never stays there.. it's always raises the temp to 103 for some reason.   Lower temp back down to 99 or 100 and it'll lower and FL2 stops flashing again.

At no point does the tub actually stop working.. all pumps work and the heat will come on (although I've never tried to get it to go above 103 so maybe it won't come up when it's flashing FL2 and it's 103.. I'll have to try that)

Filters are only a couple months old and I just cleaned them to make sure there was no debris in them.

Ken

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:02:28 pm »
 Well even in flo2 it shouldn't heat.   Crank it to 104 see if it heats to that temp, does the little red light come on that tells you it's heating?    The other thing, does it feel like it's 102 temp wise? 

kenbulmer

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 11:24:35 am »
It definitely heats.  The light comes on and you can feel the hot water coming out through the circ pump at the bottom.   When I lower the temp the light goes off and the heater goes off.  I'll try heating to 104 maybe tomorrow.. family wants to use the tub today but 103/104 is too hot for them.   So yeah - very strange behavior for sure.

kenbulmer

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:16:04 am »
So I did some more tests this morning.

The FL2 starts flashing when the temp gets to 102.  It appears to be only flashing when the heater is off.  Once the heater is off and the temp sat at 102 for a minute or so it started flashing.  At that point if I raise the temp the FL2 stops flashing and a few seconds later the heater comes on.  Once the heater goes off the FL2 starts flashing again.   I've got a video of this happening.. I'll see if I can get it up on YouTube or something and put a link in a post.

Any ideas?  It seems like everything actually functions the way it's supposed to.. just have that error once it gets to 102.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 10:45:58 am »
  My guess is the circ pump stops running at that point for some reason and it gives the flo2 error, then when you up the temp it calls for heat and turns the pump back on.    If you hold the + and - btn down at the same time and wait 5 or 6 seconds what shows up?  Should be L1 L2 or L3 anything higher than that your in a economy setting. Still shouldn't do what it's doing so taking a shot..   I can give my tech a call in the AM see what he thinks, gotta be the flow switch or the board.

kenbulmer

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:03:30 pm »
When the FL2 is flashing the circ pump still runs... even when it's not heating.  (so normal behavior)  When I hold + and 1 it shows F1 on the panel.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 10:04:04 am »
Sounds like a stuck circ pump relay.  Sometimes when the circ pumps go bad, the cause the relay(s) to stick closed as well.
When it is heating, the circulation pump is supposed to be on, so no error.  When the pump is supposed to be off, and is still running, the flow switch recognizes that and sends the FL2 error.

Does the circulation pump ever shut off?

kenbulmer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 10:11:34 am »
Now that you mention it I don't think I've seen the circ pump go off at all since I've replaced it.  How would I check the circ pump relay?  Is that something on the pump itself or on the system board?

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 12:46:06 pm »
It is on the circuit board.  If you have a FL2 code and the circ pump is running, the relay is stuck.

kenbulmer

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 01:16:16 pm »
So do I just replace the Relay?  If that's the case - where is the best place to get it from?  (a part number would be awesome if someone had that - this is for a 2008 J335)  I'm assuming it's pretty simple to remove the old and install a new one? 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »
   Good info there Serj!   

Your looking at a new board.   6600-288  I believe that number has changed, but it's a start.   

kenbulmer

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 08:06:58 pm »
Seriously?  A new board?  Are the relays not replaceable?   And what is the consequence of just leaving it as it is?  Everything seems to function ok except at high temp the circ pump apparently doesn't go off when it should.  I generally don't keep it that warm anyway.   Looks like a new board is 250-300.  Seems like a lot to fix a problem that is not a huge issue. 

kenbulmer

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »
I guess a follow-up question is...   When should the circ pump actually turn off?  I thought it just ran 24x7.  Sounds like that's not the case?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42