What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot springs Jet Setter leak repair advice. Odd issue.  (Read 10463 times)

Alaska_guy

Hot springs Jet Setter leak repair advice. Odd issue.
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:49:44 pm »
I just picked up a used jetsetter tub knowing it had a small leak.  I tracked down the leak but I am unsure how to repair as the part that broke is molded to the tub.  It's by the lounger seat.  Not sure if I can block it off, or if it's absolutely necessary.

Here is a video I made.

https://youtu.be/OXgay-jQdRY

Hot Tub Forum

Hot springs Jet Setter leak repair advice. Odd issue.
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:49:44 pm »

Alaska_guy

Re: Hot springs Jet Setter leak repair advice. Odd issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:52:22 pm »
I was able to find the parts necessary to fix my issue.

Bleed line nipple 30598

http://www.backyardplus.com/proddetail.php?prod=30598

19/64 drill bit, 1/4" hose and a hose clamp.  My current hose is a little warped so it won't fit properly.  This means I need to get a 1/4" barb fitting on both ends so I can cut my existing hose and extend it.

Or the easier method would be to epoxy the back side of the tub where the nipple is so it's permenantly blocked off.

I think that's the route I am going to take as the previous owner or dealer tried to use Devcon from within the tub itself to block off and that repair failed.  Hence the leak.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
I was able to find the parts necessary to fix my issue.

Bleed line nipple 30598

http://www.backyardplus.com/proddetail.php?prod=30598

19/64 drill bit, 1/4" hose and a hose clamp.  My current hose is a little warped so it won't fit properly.  This means I need to get a 1/4" barb fitting on both ends so I can cut my existing hose and extend it.

Or the easier method would be to epoxy the back side of the tub where the nipple is so it's permenantly blocked off.

I think that's the route I am going to take as the previous owner or dealer tried to use Devcon from within the tub itself to block off and that repair failed.  Hence the leak.

If its an air supply line fix it, if its just a drain line block it off with epoxy at the housing and plug the hose.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 01:11:56 pm »
Looks like a moto-massage bleed line.  Am I right?  If so, just block it off. 

Alaska_guy

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »
Looks like a moto-massage bleed line.  Am I right?  If so, just block it off.
Yes it was the moto massage bleed line.  I did block both the hose and the molded nipple off using 2 part epoxy.

Here is my newest video.  I am making progress, tub water level stays consistent after 12-18 hours as I just checked the level and it was fine.  It does look like however I have another leak and I am not sure on the source of the leak.

https://youtu.be/j2gnRq5_ylY

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:40:25 pm »
 You in Alaska?

Alaska_guy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03:54 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:30:35 pm »
Like where?   I always like yapping with people from there. I worked on KC boats for a few years, then Coastal freighters for 6 more.  Then ran a shipping dock out of Dutch Harbor for 13 years.   Miss it everyday, well kind of..  ;)  Miss the free king crab and fishing Dungeness more than anything.  Not to mention the fly fishing! 

Alaska_guy

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:34:58 pm »
Ok, I used a towel to try and get all the water I could out of that compartment but I am just unable to get it all.  I drained the tub once again and the level in that compartment never seemed to lower.  Maybe it's just old standing water in the tub?  I am worried when winter hits it could potentially freeze...?  There is a small 1/4" pvc line that goes down where the water is standing... So very possible its still the 1/4" hose.  However, after draining the tub I would think that would eventually drain?

I attempted to try the jets out knowing full well it needs a 20amp dedicated circuit.  I was running a long extension cord and the cord has a trip feature and it tripped, thus stopping the tub.

Looks like the control panel works, the lights work and the jets are going to work and I didn't notice any obvious leaks!

For a free hot tub, I think its a good idea for me to let a professional look at it and diagnose what else needs to be done.

https://youtu.be/CUTphEVfxZ4

Alaska_guy

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 11:47:43 pm »
Like where?   I always like yapping with people from there. I worked on KC boats for a few years, then Coastal freighters for 6 more.  Then ran a shipping dock out of Dutch Harbor for 13 years.   Miss it everyday, well kind of..  ;)  Miss the free king crab and fishing Dungeness more than anything.  Not to mention the fly fishing!

I like in Chugiak, Alaska.  Ive been here about 35 years or so.  I don't do much fishing anymore as they have heavily regulated it.  Most of the fishing spots that the locals used to go to are now very popular to the tourists.  It's just too much of a zoo for me anymore.  I enjoy fly fishing on lakes and I try and do that often.   I also am into the side by side riding (Polaris Rzrs, Polaris Rangers and Polaris Generals).  I own a Polaris 4 seat General and the thing is a blast!

score1more

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 08:08:20 pm »
Can you get a wet/dry vac crevice tool in there to vac the water?  Maybe put some some nylons or something over the tip so you don't suck up the batting.  And see if it refills?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 01:06:38 am »
That nipple IS a poor design. I have fixed many of them.

Get that 19/64" drill, carefully drill it out - don't plug it. If you lived here in SoCal I would say go ahead, but it is so very easy to do it right, and if you ever have to drain your tub in a freeze you will want that drain tube to be able to carry the water out of the Moto Massage area.

Pull a bit more foam off if you can, to get just a tiny bit more slack - cut the very end off, not more than a quarter inch. That should leave a very slight 'bell end' which you can shove back onto the new barbed fitting.

Then - once the glue is completely dry and set, and the nipple is solid, get a heat gun and soften the vinyl tubing. Soften the whole bit that you have exposed so you can form it into a new shape and reach the new nipple. A mug of boiling water to dip it in will work as well.

Try to get it to fit first, once you get it all nice and soft. If you absolutely must, then go ahead and cut it back, put a new length of tubing on - the 1/4" couplers are not hard to find, but stay with the spring clamps, do NOT go with automotive style.

I can send you a bit of tubing, a few clamps and a coupler if you can't find it locally.

Cover the shipping and it's yours.  (ChasWolf7@gmail.com)

HTH

Chas
 8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:17:40 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Alaska_guy

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 04:03:50 pm »
Thanks for the offer.  I will email you here shortly!  I found a diagram of the plumbing to better depict what has been done.  I let the jets run for an hour the other day with the tub completely full and I couldn't find any leaks.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 09:51:55 pm »
Kendall,

I got your email - and answered.

Do you need a light lens and o-ring as well? It's another common leak spot, easy repair. The factory only sells the combo: lens and o-ring together because most people have to break or at least scratch up the old lens to get it out, ($22 for both parts) The o-rings tend to shrink over time - especially if the tub sits empty for any time.

let me know -

HTH

8)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:03:11 pm by Chas »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 06:33:07 pm »
I boxed up and sent the parts off this morning. Post office claims they should be there by Wednesday, but I don't know how it works with a PO Box - I'm guessing you'll get a note saying it has arrived. There is a tracking number, I'll put that in your inbox so you can follow it.

HTH

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 06:33:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42