What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Circ Pump Energy Savings??  (Read 3690 times)

jtd1216

Circ Pump Energy Savings??
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:30:32 pm »
Hey guys!
So I’m looking at Hotspring’s Limelight Flash and Hot Spot Rhythm. Both are very similar spas—7’x7’, ozonator, fibercor insul, two jet pumps, about the same number of jets (41 vs 35) includes steps, cover lifter, sub panel, install, chemicals, etc..

The main differences between the two are: the Flash has 1) a 24/7 circ pump and 2) a 5yr P&L warranty vs. the 2yr on the Rhythm.

Now, I was quoted $8700 for the Flash and $6400 for the Rhythm. The sales guy did mention that having a circ pump can make a big difference on energy savings. He said about $50-60 a month to run the Rhythm and $25-35 a month on the Flash.

Does this have some merit? If so, is it worth the extra $$$$? There are some other little cool features on the Flash, but their minimal.

Hot Tub Forum

Circ Pump Energy Savings??
« on: April 30, 2018, 03:30:32 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Circ Pump Energy Savings??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »
Hey guys!
So I’m looking at Hotspring’s Limelight Flash and Hot Spot Rhythm. Both are very similar spas—7’x7’, ozonator, fibercor insul, two jet pumps, about the same number of jets (41 vs 35) includes steps, cover lifter, sub panel, install, chemicals, etc..

The main differences between the two are: the Flash has 1) a 24/7 circ pump and 2) a 5yr P&L warranty vs. the 2yr on the Rhythm.

Now, I was quoted $8700 for the Flash and $6400 for the Rhythm. The sales guy did mention that having a circ pump can make a big difference on energy savings. He said about $50-60 a month to run the Rhythm and $25-35 a month on the Flash.

Does this have some merit? If so, is it worth the extra $$$$? There are some other little cool features on the Flash, but their minimal.

The circ pump is like a big light bulb on energy usage. The difference he quoted is a bit extreme but.....I'd say more like 10-15 bucks a month difference. Is one of the features warranty?

Also a circ pump will be substantially quieter when your not using your tub or want a quiet soak, it if that matters. Ozone will be much more effective introduced 24/7 (circ pump) versus a jet pump 4-6 hours a day.
Retired

jtd1216

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:24:03 pm »
TMan, yes there is a 2 year component warranty on the HotSpot series and 5 year warranty on the Limelight series. I'm trying to justify the cost difference. Is that alone worth it? $6400 is just so nice of a number for us as our first tub Lol, but I know it's a long term investment.

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:20:58 pm »
$50-60 for a Rhythm?  Dang... where do you live?

Based on where we live (because people compare the two all the time) I say closer to the high $20's for the Rhythm, maybe low $30s. The Flash would be mid $20's.

Yes it's more energy efficient.  However, the Flash is just a nicer tub.  More variety in jets, easier controls, slightly more efficient, longer warranty.  Take your pick.  I think the energy efficiency is actually one of the most similar between the two, everything else is just nicer on the Flash.

However, the Rhythm is bullet proof simple and reliable.  Can't go wrong with either.  Go Flash if you can swing it!  That's a good price, I no way sell it that low.

jtd1216

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:02:16 pm »
D00nut, I'm in Rhode Island our winter heating design temp is 12F. Where are you?

My worry is that he is overstating the Rhythm to talk up the Flash. Sounds like the Rhythm is still a really solid tub. It's our first tub ever and don't want to go crazy. On the other hand, if it means 3 more years of peace of mind with the warranty, along with all the other benefits you mentioned, maybe the flash is the better choice.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:22 pm »
D00nut, I'm in Rhode Island our winter heating design temp is 12F. Where are you?

My worry is that he is overstating the Rhythm to talk up the Flash. Sounds like the Rhythm is still a really solid tub. It's our first tub ever and don't want to go crazy. On the other hand, if it means 3 more years of peace of mind with the warranty, along with all the other benefits you mentioned, maybe the flash is the better choice.

I’m in Mass so similar if not same climate. I sell Caldera so similar to what you are looking at. I also don’t think the energy efficiency between the 2 is as much. In Rhode Island you are probably dealing with the Pool source. For what it’s worth I’ve heard some pretty good things about them as a dealer. I compete against them from time to time and they seem to be a knowledgeable customer service oriented company. Price on Flair does seem aggressive. Is it a 2017 or the newer 2018 design?

jtd1216

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:46 pm »
Hottubguy, they are both 2018 models. I appreciate the feedback on Pool Source. They seem like great people. I do like the jet placement in the Flash better, and all the other benefits. I may be able to negotiate a bit more, to maybe include the cover Lifter and steps for the bubble.

Any other benefits to having the circ pump besides energy savings, noise reduction, and ozone circulation? I'm guessing also longer filtration time? He said something about the water sitting in the heater without a circ pump gets to almost boiling. But not sure what he meant completely.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:13 pm »
Another nice feature is the split breaker system on the flair. If your heater ever died in the middle of the winter instead of shutting down the entire tub it would just kill the breaker on the heater side allowing the pumps to circulate the water and preventing a freeze up. I also think the jetting on the flash is superior. I would honestly skip the ozone on the rhythm because it won’t do a heck of a lot. That being said the Vanto (very similar to rhythm) is one of my better sellers. I think it offers good value.

Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 02:40:31 pm »
There is another benefit to having a circ pump that is often overlooked.  You eliminate the wear and tear on the jet pump having to turn on and off 30 times per day.

jtd1216

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 04:26:39 pm »
Sam, what's the cost of replacing a jet pump vs. a circ pump? The tub with the circ pump is nearly $3000 higher (Hotsprings Flair) vs the Hotspot Rhythm/Relay. Is that cost worth it?

Sam

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
Sam, what's the cost of replacing a jet pump vs. a circ pump? The tub with the circ pump is nearly $3000 higher (Hotsprings Flair) vs the Hotspot Rhythm/Relay. Is that cost worth it?

On a Hot Spring pumps are more expensive because they are proprietary, but they are about 2/3 the price with the stuff I sell.  Your difference in price isn't just the circ pump though.  The Hot Spot is an entry level hot tub with entry level jets, etc.  The Flair is a mid-tier spa and nicer in many ways, not just the pump.  I would definitely consider going up to the Flair if it's within budget.  It's a nice hot tub. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42