What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help Finding a Large Hot Tub  (Read 15697 times)

iggman

Help Finding a Large Hot Tub
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:14:17 pm »
Need help choosing a spa.  We are interested in a larger spa appox. 8 by 10 feet.  We have looked at Catalina, Sundance, D1, and Hot Springs(not as big spa).  We originally liked the Catalina best because of the extras like the lights and misters.  We are concerned about the warranty and reliability of Catalina based on what we have read on the web. We have not yet wet tested any but plan to do so.  It will be hard to wet test the exact model because of the size.  Any advice on any of these would be appreciated.  Thank you, Igg.

Hot Tub Forum

Help Finding a Large Hot Tub
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:14:17 pm »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: Help Finding a Large Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 09:08:12 am »
My dealer has a Maxxus filled on his showroom floor. Although it's not his top seller his belief is that there should be at least one for each model and then all be different finishes with varying options. His top sellers are loaded so that prospective clients can feel and see all.  In total he has 5 filled tubs and when one client want to try a tub that is not filled he just switches the water from one to the other.

As for wet testing the large tubs in  your area. I would call the dealers including some that are far away from the same line, and see if they have a model of a large tub on their fgloor. they may be agreeable to set it up for you to wet test.

Just a thought.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 09:23:04 am »
We originally liked the Catalina best because of the extras like the lights and misters.
You can put misters over or around any tub very inexpensively, and the fancy lights tend to be more fun at first than they are down the road.

Go for things like:
Warranty
Comfort
Jet variety
Low-cost operation (well insulated)
Adjustable jets
Adjustable jet pressure

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spaguyohio

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 09:41:15 am »
Can think of two spas that might fit your criteria. One is Master Spas LSX1050. 120x94x39 inches, four 6.5 HP pumps. 150sq ft filtration, 84 jets. Lots of room and plenty of therapy.

The other is the Downeast East Hampton. Same measurements, 51 jets, two 4.5 hp pumps. Has more of an open setting than the 1050 does.

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 10:08:51 am »
“Can think of two spas that might fit your criteria. One is Master Spas LSX1050. 120x94x39 inches, four 6.5 HP pumps. 150sq ft filtration, 84 jets. Lots of room and plenty of therapy. “

I'm a little ignorant on the Master Spa, but with 84 Jets and four 6.5 HP pumps!!  I’ll take two.  What kind of amperage do those 6.5HP pumps draw?  Hotspring uses a 50-amp service for their two 2.5 HP pumps on the Vista.  Would that mean I would need 250-amp service for that spa?  

Chris H
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 10:12:14 am by Chris_H »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 11:17:37 am »
“Can think of two spas that might fit your criteria. One is Master Spas LSX1050. 120x94x39 inches, four 6.5 HP pumps. 150sq ft filtration, 84 jets. Lots of room and plenty of therapy. “

I'm a little ignorant on the Master Spa, but with 84 Jets and four 6.5 HP pumps!!  I’ll take two.  What kind of amperage do those 6.5HP pumps draw?  Hotspring uses a 50-amp service for their two 2.5 HP pumps on the Vista.  Would that mean I would need 250-amp service for that spa?  

Chris H

spaguy was just a touch off the mark.  The 1050 is just like my LSX with regards to pumps and electrical specs.  There are 3 therapy pumps and 1 circ pump.  A 50 amp, 240 volt circuit is required.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 11:27:47 am »
I’m still a little confused.  How can Master Spa have three 6.5 HP therapy pumps and only require a 50 Amp service, where Hotspring has only two 2.5 HP therapy pumps and they require a 50 Amp service.  That is a difference of 14.5 HP.  

How can that be that they only require a 50 Amp service with such high horsepower? Those Master Spas must really use extremely energy efficient pumps compared to Hotspring.  With those 6.5 HP pumps I would expect that spa to shoot me to the moon with so much power.

spaguyohio

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 12:27:11 pm »
Try it, you might like it ... as the old saying goes.  Master puts very nice 56 frame pumps in their Legend series line. Give one a wet test sometime.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 12:30:07 pm »
Can think of two spas that might fit your criteria. One is Master Spas LSX1050.  

My friend has this one and it is comfortable, I enjoyed with 5 of us in it.   The only negative is $250 worth of replacement filters.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 01:46:37 pm »

My friend has this one and it is comfortable, I enjoyed with 5 of us in it.   The only negative is $250 worth of replacement filters.

Let's get the information correct from a Master Spas owner:
The EcoPur mineral filters (2) cost about $50 to replace every six months (manufacturer's recommendation).  As N2 performs the same function as the EcoPur mineral filters, what do N2 replacements cost and how often?  With proper care, the outer (micro) filters (2) should last between 1.5-2.5 years.  The square macro filter will, with care, probably last many years unless abused.  I hardly think this is "negative".
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 02:04:29 pm »

They have actually changed the design of the filters.  The manufacturing cost has been decreased with a new design WSD is using the new style "Standpipe" filters.  The "older' style WAS very costly.  The new style can be retrofitted to any of the older tubs.
¿

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 02:51:00 pm »

They have actually changed the design of the filters.  The manufacturing cost has been decreased with a new design WSD is using the new style "Standpipe" filters.  The "older' style WAS very costly.  The new style can be retrofitted to any of the older tubs.

Good to know, I"ll pass that on to my friend and stop mentioning it when someone mentions that tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 12:41:32 pm »
Let's get the information correct from a Master Spas owner:
The EcoPur mineral filters (2) cost about $50 to replace every six months (manufacturer's recommendation).  As N2 performs the same function as the EcoPur mineral filters, what do N2 replacements cost and how often?  With proper care, the outer (micro) filters (2) should last between 1.5-2.5 years.  The square macro filter will, with care, probably last many years unless abused.  I hardly think this is "negative".
 8)
Let’s get the information really correct from someone who has sold well over a million dollars in Master Spas and had problems with all of them so I stopped!

I don't know where your buying your EcoPur filters but most dealers sell them around $39.95 or more each. 80 % of all the square macro filters that where on the tubs we sold failed, Master spa told us to tell the customers they really didn't need them and pull them out (why did they put them in). The clip system on the macro filter is very weak and breaks often. I could go on if you would like? How about the extremely thin steel used in the frame with very little support? They say that it is automotive grade, if that’s so shouldn't they paint it to keep it from rusting (like it has on almost every TV carriage in the STS’s)? Lets talk about the rubber base that gets torn from the metal corners leaving the cabinet exposed to rodents or, the fragile cabinets that you have to be careful not to hit with anything or they will break, we found it was easier to just remove them for delivery. I don't know when you got your spa but they have made some very cheap changes.

I like the power and massage from a Master and the stereo sounds great when it is working (we had failure on 80% of those too!) but IMO the quality of the materials and workmanship will not hold up over time.

I would guess that you sell Master as most customers aren’t quite as versed on the nomenclature of trademark names on each item on their spa nor do they use the trade mark spelling on things like EcoPur so I understand your need to defend your brand but be a little more realistic in your pricing and lifespan of consumables, there is enough buffoonery in Masters sales pitch already without pulling the wool over the eyes of the customers for how they will take care of the product.

I can elaborate much more if you would like just let me know......

windsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 01:34:22 pm »
Yeah, Stuart, please, please elaborate more since you seem to know everything there is about Master Spas.  I would certainly be entertained to read more of your drivel and watch your reputation continue to erode on this board.  Certainly you've got a spur under your saddle concerning Master Spas as your commentary is loaded with attitude and opinion but void of facts.  I do not need to defend Master Spas to the likes of you or anyone else who chooses to troll with inane criticism.  Leave it to say that I find your judgment rather shallow and transparent--a reflection, if you will.  I'll be more than happy to share my opinions and facts regarding my spa to anyone who is seeking opinions/facts in a sincere manner.

As for your claim that I am somehow associated with Master Spas in any way other than being an informed consumer, please search for all my posts in this and Doc's forums dating back about 1.5 years and tell me what you see.  Congratulations--your hole has gotten deeper.

Nice try.

Chris_H

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 01:47:24 pm »
Stuart,

Since you seem to know a lot about Master Spas can you elaborate on my horsepower issue that was raised?  I’m still trying to figure out how they get 19.5 HP on a 50Amp service.  Could they be lying to me about the true HP on their spa?  Could the HP be part of the “buffoonery sales pitch?”

Your hole isn’t that deep in my book.  You have another 2 feet to go.  I have a shovel if you want it.

Chris H

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 01:47:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42