What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mps question  (Read 2574 times)

bradleyabell

Mps question
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:53 pm »
Hi everyone. I’m using bromine in my tub with a bromine floater with tablets. I normally keep a good level of bromine once the tub. It was getting low so I just shocked it with 4 tablespoons of MPS. I Tested the water 10 min after doing so and it’s reading out 0 bromine. Any idea what’s going on?

Hot Tub Forum

Mps question
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:53 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Mps question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:07:25 pm »
 Did you test the bromine level right before shocking?   Shock shouldn't affect the sanitizer level, least I don't think it should.  I keep my sanitizer at a very low almost non existent level, and shock once a week.   

You might crush up a tablet or two and throw it in the filter well to bounce it back up.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:10:51 pm »
Add some sodium bromide to activate the bromine

bradleyabell

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:58:57 pm »
Did you test the bromine level right before shocking?   Shock shouldn't affect the sanitizer level, least I don't think it should.  I keep my sanitizer at a very low almost non existent level, and shock once a week.   

You might crush up a tablet or two and throw it in the filter well to bounce it back up.

I always thought the purpose of shocking was to raise the active sanitizer level??

I ended up adding a tablespoon or two of dichlor and that shot it right up.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:08:00 pm »

I always thought the purpose of shocking was to raise the active sanitizer level??

I ended up adding a tablespoon or two of dichlor and that shot it right up.

I would imagine, should be fine!   As for shocking, and guessing you know?  It is not a sanitizer.  But if you are using a liquid bromide solution like enhance or some such things, then yes it will "activate" the bromine. Using tablet form is no different than using a chlorine tablet system.  So at that point all MPS is doing is oxidizing organic material and off gassing chloramines and bromines. 

bradleyabell

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:30:31 am »
Isn't the MPS supposed to activate the bromine in the tub?  I've never had this issue before until I just drained the water last month.  This past weekend I put in 3 tablespoons of MPS and it did nothing to the bromine level.  Normally it spikes it anytime I add MPS.  Any suggestions??

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:30:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42