What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mineral Stick  (Read 7878 times)

Thisismyname

Hot Tub Forum

Mineral Stick
« on: March 04, 2018, 06:06:55 pm »

castletonia

Re: Mineral Stick
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:16:19 pm »
Slightly different, but same concept.  Frog is compatible with chlorine and bromine, Nature 2 chlorine only. 

gmdodt

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 11:31:39 am »
What actually is in them and is there a way to refill them?  I know the spa frog is technically not reusable, but I open my bromine ones and put new tabs in them and reuse them.  If I found out what was in the mineral one and could purchase the stuff in bulk, I could also refill the mineral spa frog ones (which are expensive)

bradleyabell

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 01:26:23 pm »
What actually is in them and is there a way to refill them?  I know the spa frog is technically not reusable, but I open my bromine ones and put new tabs in them and reuse them.  If I found out what was in the mineral one and could purchase the stuff in bulk, I could also refill the mineral spa frog ones (which are expensive)

This is just my personal experience, but given how expensive they are, I do not recommend them.  I went out and bought a $5 floater and put my own 1" bromine tabs in it...I stopped using minerals and have not noticed any difference in bromine usage or water quality.

gmdodt

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 04:17:40 pm »

This is just my personal experience, but given how expensive they are, I do not recommend them.  I went out and bought a $5 floater and put my own 1" bromine tabs in it...I stopped using minerals and have not noticed any difference in bromine usage or water quality.

Hmmm.. that's good to  know, thanks.  The though crossed my mind.  I know they say to replace them every 4 months.  I got my tub up and running at the beginning of Nov 17 and the cartridge still has stuff in it (took it out and shook it to confirm).  I'm assuming its suppose to deplete itself, which is when I was going to replace it.  Or does it always have some level of insoluble material in there...?

I also looked at the other mineral sticks, but the price is inline with the frog brand..so there was no real savings

castletonia

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:36 pm »
Cartridges are not refillable.  There will also be minerals in the mineral cartridges even if they are a couple years old.  If you are using the spa frog bromine cartridges, they technically are not reusable either.  If you are opening the cartridge and putting bromine tabs in then I would just get a floater.  Bromine tabs are not what they come with and will dissolve at a different rate.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:59 pm »
What actually is in them and is there a way to refill them? 

Mostly silver ions, not sure where you can get silver ions?
Retired

gmdodt

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:20:51 am »
Cartridges are not refillable.  There will also be minerals in the mineral cartridges even if they are a couple years old.  If you are using the spa frog bromine cartridges, they technically are not reusable either.  If you are opening the cartridge and putting bromine tabs in then I would just get a floater.  Bromine tabs are not what they come with and will dissolve at a different rate.

I understand, however opening them is actually really easy.  I have found that bromine levels have been higher in the tub with the cartridge set at the same setting as I used with the spa frog chemicals (3)....so I just knocked it down to 2 and it seems to be working fine.  Prefer not to have something floating around in tub when there is something built in to handle it.

Thisismyname

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:36:14 am »

I understand, however opening them is actually really easy.  I have found that bromine levels have been higher in the tub with the cartridge set at the same setting as I used with the spa frog chemicals (3)....so I just knocked it down to 2 and it seems to be working fine.  Prefer not to have something floating around in tub when there is something built in to handle it.

I think you are missing the point of the mineral stick.

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 10:59:44 am »
Our tub came with a inline frog system and ozone and we started with bromine. I tried a floater dispenser for a while and also opened the cartridge and added bromine back and adjusted the flow rate and it worked fine and was much cheaper. I figured what difference could there be if the sanitizer level remained the same with it floating in the water or the water trickling thru it. I ran out of the minerals and never thought they did much and stopped using them and noticed no difference.

We had a little problem with bromine and itchiness and I thought I would switch to dichlor. As I use the tub every day and check the water I didn’t see it being any less work adding the dichlor. I now add dichlor after a water change and once the stabilizer reaches a good a number I switch to household bleach (Clorox). The only problem with this system was going away for a week or two. I now buy @ease chlorine compatible canisters good for a month. Open them up dump the @ease into a marked jar and then add just enough in for how long we will be gone. Stick it in the inline feeder and turn the water temp down after giving it a shot of chlorine as normal.

For me it is the cheapest way to keep the tub happy.     

gmdodt

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 10:48:55 pm »
I fear. I may have to switch off bromine due to skin issues...and I say fear just because it seems like more upkeep. I don't use the tub everyday nor want to check it everyday. The @ease thing makes it easier, but just like with bromine ones, I'd prefer to be able to open it up and refill it to cut costs

castletonia

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:37:21 am »
Convenience comes at a cost.  I have good luck with @ease.  I have customers use it in two different ways.  Some will rely almost entirely on the SmartChlor cartridge and as such will have it at a higher setting and have a shorter life.  others will use it more as a backup at a lower setting, supplement with chlorine as needed, and get a longer life out of the cartridge.  Under no circumstance would I ever try to open up the SmartChlor cartridge and refill it.  Di-Chlor will dissolve really quickly and Tri-Chlor tabs will void your warranty.

gmdodt

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 08:24:19 pm »
Which begs to question..what is in it. Only a matter of time before it can be replicated (at least with a refill product).

satenlist

Mineral Stick
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 05:06:27 am »
All I use is one bag of trace mineral at each site. No crazy mixes - just put it in the right place and youll have a hole in the ground.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:04 pm »
Which begs to question..what is in it. Only a matter of time before it can be replicated (at least with a refill product).

The @ease is a form of Di-Chlor but it is a proprietary blend.  DCDMH is what it is called and there is no buying in bulk to game the system.  But the floater is a 2 parter that will last approx. 4 months and the total cost should be close to a Spa Frog/Nature 2 system.

The point of @ease is to have approx. 0.5ppm FREE CHLORINE with a TOTAL CHLORINE at 10-15ppm.

If you're getting a rash, regardless of what santization system you are on, you're not meeting your sanitizer needs (you don't have enough in, so bacteria gets into the pores and causes the rash).   

**EDIT:  For clarification on @ease floating system**
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:24:49 pm by The Wizard of Spas »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42