What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: coolzone  (Read 17137 times)

Blane

coolzone
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:28 pm »
Hello Spa People!
Looking at a hotsprings Envoy. They want to sell me the "coolzone" attachment to turn it into a 'pool' for hot summer days.
The wife wants it, I don't. However...
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this device? It is supposed to cool the water down to about 60 degrees and heat it back up for 'hot tub' use in a short time period - hard to believe.
I looked at the installation guide but it was incomplete - yeah I know a licensed HVAC tech is needed. But I also need to know how they intend to connect this gadget to the spa - I misplaced my universal refrigerant certification some years ago so I can no longer purchase it myself. How obtrusive will it be? Must it be 'bolted down'? ETC.  I live where it was around ten degrees for a week a couple weeks ago. So it can get very cold for a long time in winter here. Will this unit survive being 'frozen' without affecting the tub itself? I've searched for reviews on this but nothing turns up but sales pitches all over the interwebs. :)

I'd appreciate any input on this unit.

Also, my Marquis needed work but it's over. Unfortunately the Marquis dealer here did a number on my spa so unfortunately I will not be getting another Marquis cause they are the only ones in the area - I wouldn't trust this guy to change the oil in my car actually... another story. Anyway, it is currently sitting on an "EZ Pad" and has been for almost 17 years. I'd still be using the Marquis if I actually trusted these people to work on it. But it's time... Do you think I can just take the old spa away and set the new one on the old ez pad? I don't want to get into major work. This spa is already WAY over our budget. But she wants a new spa... so... ::)

Hot Tub Forum

coolzone
« on: February 14, 2018, 10:17:28 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: coolzone
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:08 am »
If the old one sat on the pad I can't see why the new one can't as long as the pad is in good condition.

Sorry to hear about the dealer issues, your story is exactly why we tell prospective spa buyers to weigh their comfort level with the dealer and whether they'll be there for you after the sale when deciding what brand to purchase.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 11:03:10 am »
 Coolzone sounds like a heat pump system for a spa.    How much is it?    That said, dropping a spa down in the Summer is easy depending on where you live.  Heating it back up to use doesn't take that long specially in the Summer.  Honestly sounds like a even more expensive problem that could arise down the road.   

Astropin

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:30:38 am »
Not to mention that 60 degree water would be FREEZING anytime of year. 85 degree water feels cool. Wouldn't take long to cool your tub to 85 and then back again.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:50:55 am »
Not to mention that 60 degree water would be FREEZING anytime of year. 85 degree water feels cool. Wouldn't take long to cool your tub to 85 and then back again.

The 60º statement is just showing what it can do, no one is really going to advocate jumping in at that temp. This is clearly something for people who live in places like Vegas, Phoenix, etc. where really hot temps can cause the spas to over heat and will allow you to use them to cool down. During the summer your tub won't be able to go down to 85º in many places.

Where do you live?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Blane

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:25:23 pm »
Live in eastern PA. I've turned the heat off in summer ( and bags of ice one time), but those 90 degree days in the sun don't let it cool too much. That said, I don't see any reason to get this attachment, but she is already "sold" on it. I may need more ammo to talk her out of it - it's "her" money. But still, it would be "my" headache taking care of everything.

Price is $1600, plus whatever it takes to connect this thing and charge it. My thoughts are that it's a frivolous waste of money up here. Not to mention that it is just one (many) more thing to go wrong.

As for the place I purchased my first one, I got it on a whim way back when. The company is reputable and been in business for a long time. But their "repair man" I think is a hack. Actually I know it. I did most of the work on it myself, like change out the top controllers, heater. But I got lazy and had them replace a pump/motor - mistake.

I see that Caldera (?) also promotes the 'coolzone', so it is compatible with a few. I just don't see it being worth it in the north east. She wants a "POOL" for the summer time. Not a chance. So this would be the compromise.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »
Blane, I’m also in SE pa. Just go talk to Don at Clearwater Spas. ( right over the line in De) He sold Marquis ( not any longer) and now sells Hot Springs and Caldera. He’s honest and he has always given me the best service. If that’s a product worth the money, he will tell you. Typically when I try to cool my tub in the summer, I just turn down the temp and turn on the air. Drawing in that  cooler night air seems to do the job! And then there’s always the hose... I did a dip in 59 degree water to try to patch my pool...there is no need to cool the water that low unless you’re a football player doing ice baths!! 😬
Support your dealer so they can support you!

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:10:46 pm »
Hot Spring and Caldera are both owned by Watkins Wellness and are the only spas that can use coolzone.  I sell both brands and have never seen or sold coolzone, and probably never will.  The $1600 price you are being quoted is a good price, but unless you absolutely need to be able to cool your hot tub, I don't see the value.  I would either put the money towards ACE or save it.

bradleyabell

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:23:05 am »
Hot Spring and Caldera are both owned by Watkins Wellness and are the only spas that can use coolzone.  I sell both brands and have never seen or sold coolzone, and probably never will.  The $1600 price you are being quoted is a good price, but unless you absolutely need to be able to cool your hot tub, I don't see the value.  I would either put the money towards ACE or save it.

Agree with this and others...Seems like a big waste of money.  I live in Michigan and plan to keep my tub in the low/mid 80's during the summer.  You can do this fairly easily by just turning your temp down on your tub.

Blane

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:06:55 am »
Thanks for the input. I agree that this extra attachment is not needed to 'cool' the hot tub. And yes, we were able to keep it in the 80's when desired now that I think about it.  And yes, I realize 60 degrees for "athletes" as advertised on their sight is nothing but a selling point for those uninformed persons who think they can kick back for a couple hours in 60 degree water... I didn't see anything about hypothermia warnings in the literature.

It seems as though she definitely wants "this" tub - is 9500 for a 2017 model a fair price? I'm sure I will be able to talk her out of the 'coolzone'. It's way more tub than I wanted. I wanted a small plug in, then when she saw these... like a kid in a candy store unfortunately. All sense of logic and reasoning followed Elvis right out of the building.

castletonia

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 10:49:22 am »
Really good price regardless if it is a Envoy or Envoy NXT? 

Blane

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 11:54:14 am »
Thanks all. Talked to "someone" and it was determined to be an unnecessary expense > "coolzone". AND, it can be an add on at a later date if she wants to burn a couple grand for naught...

Going to get the NXT model - for the life of me I don't know why. Oh, that's right, "Happy wife, happy life." Yeah that's it.

On to building an "enclosure". Pricing redwood next on list. Electrical survey is scheduled already. I'll need to dig up the underground I installed for the last one, relocate it, then reset the patio. work-work-work-work-work...

Lots of work to do now. Hot tub for sale - FREE! Come and get it.

castletonia

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:16 pm »
I think smart move regarding coolzone.  Congrats on the killer deal.  $9500 for an Envoy NXT is crazy low.  There was no change from 2017-2018.

Blane

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »
Ah, it was not an NXT, but had the wireless controller...
Did wet test. Didn't like ENVOY because the "captain's seat" was just not comfortable, very constrictive and wasted space - according to me. Went with ARIA model. No coolzone, no 'ACE' system. Expect to have it operational late April or Early May if the weather cooperates. The layout of the ARIA is more 'user friendly' for me.

castletonia

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 04:26:24 pm »
That's interesting to hear.  My wife loves the captain chair and while she likes the Moto-Massage, dislikes the contour of the lounger.  That's why wet testing is so important.  I had a customer today who thought the Envoy was for him but after testing, he ended up with a Caldera Cantabria.  I do agree with you though that the Aria is a great layout. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 04:26:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42