What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Indoor Portable Hot Tub?  (Read 4306 times)

svitko

Indoor Portable Hot Tub?
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:49 pm »
Hi,

I received a Coleman Saluspa as a gift, live in Ohio.  I didn't want to wait till spring to try it out, so set it up in my garage/mancave.  My garage size is 2 car, heated, refinished with drywall which is painted with basic flat latex and has outdoor carpet.  Basic temp of my garage this time of year is around 55 degrees with 30% humidity.  I only use the spa for about 30 minutes at a time, when I run the spa the garage temp jumps to around 65 degrees with 65% humidity and the walls get a little condensation.  After using the spa I covered it back up and after about a hour the temp / humidity goes back to normal and condensation goes away.

Is this safe?  I have read about dry rot and other problems that can occur, but not sure if this would be the case using it like I am.  Will probably move it outdoors come spring.  Any input appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Indoor Portable Hot Tub?
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:49 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Indoor Portable Hot Tub?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:03:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum. What part of Ohio are you from?   This is not my expertise, but maybe you can find an exhaust van and ventilate? 

If you are moving it outside, you might be ok as it has been so dry lately anyway.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:13:42 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Beck0101

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:33:12 am »
I wash my vehicles in my garage with hot water and heat pretty regularly in the winter.  Though I do not get condensation on the walls I do get it on the windows.  I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture.  Running a fan during/after use to keep the air moving might make sense, however.

svitko

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:27 pm »
Medina, Ohio.  I have been looking for an easy install vent system with little luck.  Most are 220V and not sure if it's worth doing the electrical for the install.  I would like to keep it indoors, but not if it will cause problems.  Maybe I will look for a powerful portable fan like Beck suggested.  Thanks, Steve

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 03:04:14 pm »
Hello from about 100 miles down I-71.  Have you measured how hot that hottub goes? Is there an indicator that shows the temp?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

svitko

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 03:23:34 pm »
Have it set on highest, 104 degrees

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 05:08:10 pm »
https://www.zoro.com/dayton-exhaust-fan-12-115v-120-hp-1625-rpm-1hla2/i/G2102204/

I would wire it to a rheostat to control speed. And maybe a humidistat.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:13:04 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

Beck0101

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:40:24 am »
My two cents - an exhaust fan with that kind of output will make the potential problem worse.  Any fan exhausting outside is going to create a draw of air from someplace else.  That someplace else is likely around your garage door or other exterior source.  You'll be pulling much colder air into the garage which will likely increase the condensation problem.

Keeping the garage warmer will reduce the condensation.  Moving the tub outside is likely the only "real" solution if you feel this is a problem, however.

svitko

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:57:09 am »
Wondering if a ceiling mounted heater / blower would do the trick?

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 12:12:38 pm »
If it were mine in a garage space that had some heat in it and I wanted to keep it in there at least part of the year and usage was not excessive and the rest of the time it was covered. I would just repaint the garage with a gloss paint suitable for a bathroom and let a little condensation happen and just evaporate between uses and not worry about it. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 02:31:04 pm »
If it were mine in a garage space that had some heat in it and I wanted to keep it in there at least part of the year and usage was not excessive and the rest of the time it was covered. I would just repaint the garage with a gloss paint suitable for a bathroom and let a little condensation happen and just evaporate between uses and not worry about it.

Bingo
Retired

svitko

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:47:24 pm »
Thanks everyone, going to go with the gloss paint and maybe install a ceiling fan to circulate. 

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 07:29:30 pm »
Thanks everyone, going to go with the gloss paint and maybe install a ceiling fan to circulate. 

Steve

That sounds fine but you'd need more (humidistat) if its to be there long term but this should be ok for temporary usage. Te key word here is "usage" more than "time" because the more that cover is open the more the clock ticks on the need for a permanent solution and some people really use it a lot the first year or two.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 07:29:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42