What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Facelift for concrete  (Read 3788 times)

TALKCalgary.com

Facelift for concrete
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:32:50 pm »
This is a bit off topic perhaps but, has anyone got any ideas on how I can make a plain concrete patio look more presentable? I did try staining it a few years back, but the stain peeled. Now with our new spa due to be delivered anytime, I want to try and make it look good.

Hot Tub Forum

Facelift for concrete
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:32:50 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Facelift for concrete
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 09:47:54 pm »
We too looked at different things to do with our new concrete pad to dress it up a bit...  I think there is some kind of Beauty Tone product at Home Hardware (assuming you are in Canada from your handle...) that is a two step application - it looked really nice.  The size of our pad - it would have cost a ton, and we would have had to rent a trailer to get the amount we would need all back to North Carolina!!  (We are from Ontario, so were just home on vacation...)

We ended up using a stain on ours from Lowes - it's OK, but not what we really wanted.  The paint guys didn't mix what we asked for, so it's much lighter than we were hoping for - still looks OK, just not what was in our minds eye.

We also recently saw this cool concrete process on Debbi Travis' Facelift... it was also a two step process.  They applied a base colour to the concrete, let it dry, and then taped out a random pattern that loosely resembled flagstone.  Added some kind of texture mix to mix up the tone and feel to the space, and then that was stained a different but complimentary shade... it looked amazing.  It didn't look like a "could do in a Saturday afternoon job" - but when done... cooeee, it was nice!

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 09:50:34 pm »
We actually put a finish on our new concrete pad before our spa was delivered.  We're in the US and put down American Traditions Skid-Not.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=83071-000000004-581

I'm assuming from your name that you're in Calgary... You might want to look at something like TechStone Granite... you can get it at Home Hardware.

http://www.techstone.ca/do_it_e.html

We're actually from Canada and were up in the Toronto area a few weeks ago.  We considered bringing some of this down to use.  The problem is that you need quite a bit of it and our van was already very full of stuff from our trip up.

The stuff we used worked out well as it's not slippery at all when wet.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 09:53:06 pm by bulmer4nc »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:51:40 pm »
Too much... Myself and my wife both posted at the same time from two different computers...   Figures.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 09:52:11 pm »
This is what happens when there are too many PC's in one house with internet access... I am going for a soak now, to get away from this machine!!

Jodi

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 01:37:39 am »
This is what happens when there are too many PC's in one house with internet access... I am going for a soak now, to get away from this machine!!

Jodi

Stereo, I just love it.  Keep up the posting you two!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 02:21:00 am »
Hi...

a great way to change the whole look of Grey concrete is to acid stain it.....I have some pictures I could send you if like.....it is really a great look that is so easy to do....and for not much dollars....I just did a floor that had I bid it out...it would have been about 15 grand....but doing it yourself will cost you less than a 1000.00 if you would like some information send me a message.... :D

usuallytrue

• Sundance owner
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:46:51 am »
I was in the same position with an old concrete patio (20x20 ft)..I ended up covering it with slate tiles. It took three weekends of labor (could've used the tub at the end of every day ;) ) but I'm glad I did it because it really does look better not to mention it helped pass the time waiting for the tub :)  I have pics if you want to see them.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 10:33:47 pm »
Wow, nice solution Usuallytrue!  Slate tiles to cover an old slab.  What did you use to bond the tiles to the slab?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 07:58:43 am »
I'd be interested in seeing the pics.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 07:58:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42