What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete cracks from hot tub?  (Read 6042 times)

bradleyabell

Concrete cracks from hot tub?
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »
Hi everyone. Last summer I had a brand new 16x24’ patio poured specifically to have a large patio and to have plenty of room even with an 8x8’ hot tub. I just went outside (in Michigan) and noticed a crack that goes around in a half circle close to where my tub is.

1. Should this happen, especially with brand new concrete?
2. I was given a “one year warrantee” so I’m assuming since the concrete contractor knew I was putting a tub there, that he would be responsible to unhook the electrical in the tub and to move it to repour concrete next spring?  If not could I take legal action?
3. Has anyone else ran into this type of issue and what was your outcome?

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete cracks from hot tub?
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »

bud16415

Re: Concrete cracks from hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
It would in part depend on how the written warrantee is written. All concrete cracks and he should have cut lines in it into at least 4 pieces so the cracks would follow the cuts. How thick was the pour? Was mesh or rebar put into the pour? How much soil was removed below the pour and what material was added back in? Was the new material compacted?

I would defiantly contact him right away and if there is no snow on the ground he may come out and see it right away and tell you what he will and wont do. I doubt he will agree to move the tub or do electrical work, but you can ask. What you can get out of him is mostly what he is willing to do to keep his business name intact. Legal action is the very last thing on your list. Millions of people have been upset in similar ways about concrete pours and most contracts allow for closed cracks of some type.

Keep us posted.

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:45:35 am »
It would in part depend on how the written warrantee is written. All concrete cracks and he should have cut lines in it into at least 4 pieces so the cracks would follow the cuts. How thick was the pour? Was mesh or rebar put into the pour? How much soil was removed below the pour and what material was added back in? Was the new material compacted?

I would defiantly contact him right away and if there is no snow on the ground he may come out and see it right away and tell you what he will and wont do. I doubt he will agree to move the tub or do electrical work, but you can ask. What you can get out of him is mostly what he is willing to do to keep his business name intact. Legal action is the very last thing on your list. Millions of people have been upset in similar ways about concrete pours and most contracts allow for closed cracks of some type.

Keep us posted.

Yes there are actually 6 squares cut out of the pour due to the lines they created.  I believe the pour was 4" thick.  Yes there was mesh in the concrete mix.  Not sure how much soil was removed but it was leveled and then they brought in sand to put on top of the soil and compacted that before the pour.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:38 am »
I guess I would have to see the crack to determine what I would personally do or if I would even be concerned about it. Normally with the mesh and the mix ratios and the base hairline cracks can still happen and will stay tightly closed. If there is shifting and gaps that’s a far worse crack and needs to be dealt with.

Things like the cure time and were there a sealer applied or was it covered or kept damp as it cured can affect the strength. Another thing some contractors don’t do is pull the mesh up after it is poured to get it centered in the slab. Some walk around on top of it and it ends up lying on the bottom of the slab.

Saw cutting the lines is to help it crack along a line but don’t mean it always will.

Could the tub have helped cause it? Maybe if you got a freeze and the tub kept the ground warmer the slab would lift unequal. Maybe the best way would be to put a divider in the pour to make the slab under the tub its own pour.

That might be something for others in cold climate to think about when doing a deck and pad together. doing it that way you could also stain the deck area if you wanted or make the slab under the tub thicker if you wanted. 

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:22:18 am »
1. Should this happen, especially with brand new concrete?
No, but stuff happens. 
2. I was given a “one year warrantee” so I’m assuming since the concrete contractor knew I was putting a tub there, that he would be responsible to unhook the electrical in the tub and to move it to repour concrete next spring?  If not could I take legal action?
I seriously doubt the concrete contractor is responsible for removing the tub or unhooking the electrical.  For instance, in the event that we need to replace a hot tub due to something catastrophic, our manufacturers will not pay for the crane that put the spa in a hard to reach area.  It's ultimately the customer that has to pay for that (... rare, it just stinks when it does happen.)

Legal action is generally the last resort, and often ends up costing you more (both in $$ and time, not to mention stress) for a concrete job.  Or a hot tub job... almost anything that is only going to be a few thousand dollars to actually get remedied.  Also, if the contractor gets a sniff that you are thinking that route, I can't imagine you getting the best customer service in the world  ;)

3. Has anyone else ran into this type of issue and what was your outcome?
I did actually.  I had a patio paver laid for my hot tub about 3 years ago.  For my grass, I had a sprinkler system ran underneath it.  Late last summer... it broke, and I had a geyser erupt from underneath the patio.  Luckily, we could fix it without moving my personal hot tub, but it cost me $400 to fix.  Landscaper and I have a good relationship, and like I said, stuff happens. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:21 am »
in cold weather climates ground shifts, concrete cracks...doesn't matter how the slab was poured.  Depending on the crack though it may be able to be repaired to match, is it stamped and colored concrete? You should be able to work through a repair with your concrete guy, but honestly I cannot see him tearing up a big area and re-pouring it, I would be absolutely stunned if his warranty covered that, and if it did you paid for it up front because anyone offering a "Full 100% replacement warranty" on poured concrete is either charging for that potential up front or will be out of business soon

bradleyabell

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:50:23 pm »
This is just regular plain concrete, not stamped or colored or anything.  Not sure how to post a picture of it on here...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:26:22 pm »
Is the crack wider on the top then down below? Or vise versa? v ^ Sink or heave?
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:58:51 am »
Is the crack wider on the top then down below? Or vise versa? v ^ Sink or heave?

Hard to tell...It looks like a hairline crack but it goes from one side to the other...Entire crack is probably 6 foot long.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:17 pm »

Hard to tell...It looks like a hairline crack but it goes from one side to the other...Entire crack is probably 6 foot long.

Report it to your concrete guy but don't worry about it until it gets worse, if it does. It won't effect the performance or warranty of your tub.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42