What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Caldera spa issue.  (Read 9543 times)

Linedog

New Caldera spa issue.
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »
Just had a Caldera spa delivered, a Mekena model. All wiring is correct pumps, lights work but the recirculating pump runs for 30-45 seconds then shuts off for a minute then on again. Because this is shutting off the tub won’t get hot. I have shut down power a few times but still have the same issue. The tub just now went into protection mode advising me to check for a blocked filter. The filters was removed when I got this warning!! Any hints before I call the dealer in 3 days?

Hot Tub Forum

New Caldera spa issue.
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: New Caldera spa issue.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:53:10 pm »
Do you live in a area with freezing temps?  Possible there is a ice buildup in circ pump that is causing this. If not when the circ pump comes on is there water flowing out?  Could be airlocked.

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:20:35 am »
Try unscrewing the cap on the frog in-line  system and removing the cartridge holder.  If there is an airlock, I have found this purged the air almost every time.

Linedog

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 12:25:04 pm »
When it’s on, i can see it pumping water threw the clear lines. My theory is a bad pressure switch or temperature switch. As it pumps for about 30 seconds then shuts off, sits for about 30 then on again. But after an hour or so it stops altogether.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 01:23:45 pm »
Definitely sounds like an air lock. Check the manual for suggestions beyond what was just posted which may just do the trick since I believe Castle has a Caldera background.   
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Linedog

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »
Pulled the frog stick, turned on the jets, water welled up and came out of the frog hole. Put the stick back and no change. According to the manual if the jets pump in good. They pump great, however I forgot to mention I’m getting a flashing “Power” and flashing “Ready” on my control panel. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »
Pulled the frog stick, turned on the jets, water welled up and came out of the frog hole. Put the stick back and no change. According to the manual if the jets pump in good. They pump great, however I forgot to mention I’m getting a flashing “Power” and flashing “Ready” on my control panel.

Any chance of ice buildup in circ pump?  If not sounds like a bad pressure switch.  What’s the water level at?  Another trick to try is to take front and panel off and disconnect tube coming into circ pump to sure you have water running through it

Linedog

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »
Water temp is at 54deg no ice at all. Never has worked since I filled it 3 days ago. I can see water and bubbles expelled from the heater tube that is connected to the circ pump (clear tubing). I agree that it’s a switch issue, just very frustrating with a brand new tub!! I’ve had tubs for the last 20+ years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 07:09:57 pm »
Water temp is at 54deg no ice at all. Never has worked since I filled it 3 days ago. I can see water and bubbles expelled from the heater tube that is connected to the circ pump (clear tubing). I agree that it’s a switch issue, just very frustrating with a brand new tub!! I’ve had tubs for the last 20+ years.

You have both breakers turned on?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 08:36:16 pm »

Your electrician didn’t reverse the 20 amp and 30 amp breakers did he?  I have seen that a couple times before. Hopefully your dealer is around tomorrow to see what’s going on

Linedog

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 09:57:34 am »
Wiring is correct, I have photos but cant post them yet. Calling the dealer today, I’ll keep ya in the loop.

Linedog

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:22 am »
Might get a service tech out tomorrow (Wednesday) we’ll see.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »
Might get a service tech out tomorrow (Wednesday) we’ll see.

Today would’ve been better. Keep us updated as to what it is. Hopefully you aren’t in the freezing weather like I am in the Northeast

Linedog

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 03:36:39 pm »
Service guy just left, replaced the circ pump and the 20 amp breaker in the box that was supplied by Caldera. He said it should be warm tonight, hot tomorrow, yippie!! On a side note we ordered it with the Bluetooth sound system, it didn’t show up in the menu. Called and was told it’s on back order, what they couldn’t tell me when it was delivered??? The tech looks and says oh here it is not plugged in and in the wrong location. Now the Bluetooth works in a soon to be hot tub. My take away, I bought this from the same dealer I have bought 3 other tubs from over the last 20 years. The service has gone downhill tremendously to just above crappy. Now I’m wondering about this tub, anyone have any experience with a Caldera brand?

d00nut

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
I sell Caldera, along with Hot Spring.  Both Watkins, both great.  The manufacturer supports us incredibly well, above every other brand I've had the pleasure of selling.  However, a bad dealer can make a good spa not seem so good.  A great dealer can make a bad spa seem not so bad.   :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42