What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How much boric acid and calcium should I add at one time?  (Read 3086 times)

Calisoldier83

How much boric acid and calcium should I add at one time?
« on: December 23, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »
I'm on a fresh fill. Whenever I added boric acid or calcium hardness in the past, I added it all at once. After that the water always gets grainy, the best words I can think of. My tub calls for 18oz (around 2 cups worth) of boric acid and 7oz of calcium chloride dehydrate.

Any advice? I believe it's recommended to space out the dosage to avoid this issue. How are you supposed to add these properly?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:34:12 pm by Calisoldier83 »

Hot Tub Forum

How much boric acid and calcium should I add at one time?
« on: December 23, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »

bud16415

Re: How much boric acid and calcium should I add at one time?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:22:41 pm »
How did you determine you need to add these to your tub after each fill? Did you have your water tested at your dealer and this is their recommendation? Are you on a well?   

Calisoldier83

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:26:46 pm »
How did you determine you need to add these to your tub after each fill? Did you have your water tested at your dealer and this is their recommendation? Are you on a well?

My dealer knows nothing about water chemistry. I use the taylor kit for measuring my water. I have city tap water. My CH is 60ppm and adding borates is standard 50ppm @ 450 gal. I use pool calculator for measuring.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:46 pm »
Adding together would cause the water to cloud. I would wait a couple hours in between

Calisoldier83

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »
Adding together would cause the water to cloud. I would wait a couple hours in between

I understand that. My question is, do you add that much borates (or calcium) all at once or do you spread it into multiple doses?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 09:50:05 pm »

I understand that. My question is, do you add that much borates (or calcium) all at once or do you spread it into multiple doses?

Don’t do much with borates in a hot tub so not sure the answer to that. Calcium split into 2 doses waiting Hal hour to a hour between

Calisoldier83

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:40:59 pm »

Don’t do much with borates in a hot tub so not sure the answer to that. Calcium split into 2 doses waiting Hal hour to a hour between

Thanks I did borates all at once because I didn't want to mess around with pH slipping. I'm splitting up the calcium now as you mentioned and premixed it pretty good. The borates don't really mix in the bucket for some reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:40:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42