What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need help with small spa purchase  (Read 4282 times)

DJJ

Need help with small spa purchase
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
My 16 year old Thermospa just died and I am looking to replace it with a smaller spa (2-3 seater). I really need the spa for lower back pain and just some relaxation. I have just begun to do some research and my head is spinning with all the options available. I am looking for a reputable brand and would like to keep my budget within the $5000 range. Any help, ideas or suggestions would bee greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Need help with small spa purchase
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »

Sam

Re: Need help with small spa purchase
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:52:04 pm »
$5k doesn't get you much with the reputable brands.  If you don't need super powerful jets, Artesian's Garden Spas line has some nice stuff in that range.  My only complaint is that the jets are kind of weak.  I've heard good things about Nordic in that range but have very little experience with them personally.  Bullfrog's X5L is an awesome little hot tub that you should be able to get for the mid $5k range if you can stretch a little bit.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:10 pm »
$5k doesn't get you much with the reputable brands.  If you don't need super powerful jets, Artesian's Garden Spas line has some nice stuff in that range.  My only complaint is that the jets are kind of weak.  I've heard good things about Nordic in that range but have very little experience with them personally.  Bullfrog's X5L is an awesome little hot tub that you should be able to get for the mid $5k range if you can stretch a little bit.

Check out a Nordic Stella MS. Good little tub and it should fall in your price point

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:03:42 pm »
 The fact you had a thermo spa for 16 years impresses me!   Give it an honorable burial!   Bullfrog X5L worth a look..  Also some of the other roto-molds available.

DJJ

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:57 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I just returned from my local spa dealer. I was actually looking at the Bullfrog X5L and got a price of $6399 if I finance and $5399 if I pay cash. Does this price seem fair? Also, it seemed like I was getting the stripped down version. They told me it was an extra cost to get one with a circulating pump. Is it reasonable?
Thanks again!

Sam

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
$5395 is definitely a reasonable price and yes, the dedicated filtration pump is extra.  Depending on the cost of it and your budget, it may or may not be worth it.  I personally think having one is a good idea but it's definitely not a deal breaker.  I know you wanted to stay under $5k so it's not really a big deal if you skip it. 

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:50:40 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I just returned from my local spa dealer. I was actually looking at the Bullfrog X5L and got a price of $6399 if I finance and $5399 if I pay cash. Does this price seem fair? Also, it seemed like I was getting the stripped down version. They told me it was an extra cost to get one with a circulating pump. Is it reasonable?
Thanks again!

Circ is not possible with the 5's in Bullfrog.  Possibly an ozone?

DJJ

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 04:56:31 pm »
The sales person did not seem very knowledgeable. Perhaps she was talking about ozone. I will have to double check. If so, is ozone worth it? Any other options I should consider?
Thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »
 I sell it at 5995 with ozone. 

DJJ

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:56:21 pm »
I am thinking of going with the Bullfrog X5L. I'm just a little nervous with the lounger. I have never had one, hear about floating issues and proper fit and I can't wet test this one. I have been in contact with another local spa dealer and he is recommending a Marquis Eseries 322 or Vector Series V65L as comparable to the Bullfrog X5L.  He says he can do $5300 cash on the 322 and $6000 on the V65L. Are these spas comparable and worth a look?
Thanks again!

castletonia

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:03 am »
Marquis makes a good hot tub.  Regarding build quality, other than a cabinet that is like 1/16" of an inch thicker on the v65l, that and the e322 are equal.  The e322 sits deeper and is more of a 2 person spa.  The v65l I think is more comfortable, you can fit 3 comfortably and you have more therapy options.   You will need to find out what options are included with the Marquis' because those two models can basically be ordered a la carte.  The available options are: full foam insulation, in-line sanitation, ozone, twilight or starlight led lighting and mp160 pump upgrade on v65l.  Base dealer price is almost identical so either their v65l has some upgrades or they want to move the 322.  Depending on included options, those are probably good prices.  I sold the v65l at $6499 with in-line sanitation, ozone, and mp160 pump upgrade and 322 at $5999 with inline sanitation and ozone when I sold them.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:04:39 am »
The sales person did not seem very knowledgeable. Perhaps she was talking about ozone. I will have to double check. If so, is ozone worth it? Any other options I should consider?
Thanks

A belated welcome to the forum. I'm also impressed you got 16 years out of your Thermospa.  I got 9 years out of a similar model. As for the ozone,  Both tubs I purchased had Ozone and supposedly the Ozone bulb is only good for 2-3 years.    Having my first tub 9 years and my second one 5 years, I couldn't tell when the bulb died.  The second tub I bought was a model I chose for many reasons, but it just happen to have Ozone.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

DJJ

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:58 am »
What about a Caldera Kauai display model with ozone for $6500? That’s a little outside my price range but is that a good tub and price?

DJJ

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:52 am »
The confusion continues..... I was really looking for a new spa with delivery ASAP. Access once winter arrives will be difficult. My choices now are both Bullfrogs. One is X5L floor model $5399 plus another $250 for the upgraded light package and another $200 for ozone. That brings the total to $5849. My other choice is not a floor model but in stock from a cancelled order. That one is an R5L which already has ozone and 2 Jetoacks. The price for this one is $6299. Is it worth the extra $450 to buy the R5L. They look similar but I am guessing the R5L is better? Any help with this one would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:37:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42