What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Optima question re foot well return filters  (Read 3629 times)

cparlf

New Optima question re foot well return filters
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:33:31 pm »
Boy, a lot of new Optima owners out here.  A fast Q, there are three silver drain or return ports in the footwell.  There are white silk like filtering covers on them.  The manual says these should be kept on, mine seem to have a mind of their own and come off.  They are a bear to put back on, and then come right off again.  Dealer said to remove them, no worries.  Any optima owners care to share experience with these?

Hot Tub Forum

New Optima question re foot well return filters
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:33:31 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: New Optima question re foot well return filter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:48:18 pm »
I'm giong to let the several spa techs say for sure, but most spas don't have these. The intakes on mine are a metal grate that will keep out small pebbles and anything bigger.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 01:13:54 pm »
We've only had our Optima a week and have not had a problem keeping them on.  I do know that this is the only filtration for pump 2.  The circ pump goes through the micro filter and pump 1 goes through the pleated filter.  Our delivery guys suggested that if they do tend to come off to remove the screw that holds the plastic grate on and then put the white filter back on and put the screw through it when putting the plastic grate back in place.  He said that would help keep them on if they are falling off.  No idea if that's a good idea or not but it's something to try at least.  I'd say that's its probably a good idea to have them on though as this is the only thing that prevents stuff from getting into pump 2.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 01:28:36 pm »
I replace mine once per year.  I usually don't have much trouble with them unless my 15 year old boys and all their friends jump in and out...then they kick them off.  They can be a pain to get back on, but the new "socks" this year are much easier to use and stay on better.  If you don't mind the look, the sweetwater socks are larger, so they are very easy to put on and they stay in place just as well.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 01:50:50 pm »
Ours tend to get "kicked" off when the spa is full of a lot of people.  I do replace them when they come off, once you've done it a few times, they get easier.  I do wish they'd stay on better, though.  
I'm thinking that their primary function is to keep sand out of pump #2.  My opinions is if the manual says to use them, then use them.  
Brewman
Brewman

cparlf

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 03:33:49 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  This forum is a great thing.  I will re-apply them tonight, and once the kids leave back for college, perhaps they will stay on better.  And as you say Brewman, practice makes perfect so I guess they will get easier.

Kind of a pain though, makes me wonder why the engineers did it this way.  Then again, most tubs probably have their little surprises.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 04:58:22 pm »
Not sure if it's practice, or if the socks stretch as they age.  But I wonder why this way, too.
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 05:30:07 pm »
The older ones would stretch with age and did not have much elasticity.  The new ones have lots of spring.

bethshar

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 05:53:41 pm »
Just got my Optima and the first thing my salesman told me to do was to throw out those covers.

Tubber

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 07:10:03 pm »
Just got my Optima and the first thing my salesman told me to do was to throw out those covers.

I'd recomend using them myself, they are your first line of defense against dirt. The new one available at your dealer will stay on much better then the originals that are shipped with the tub.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 07:51:12 pm »
The manufacturer isn't going to install them if they aren't serving a purpose. I'd leave them on and if you're having trouble getting them on or keeping them on call your dealer and ask them if there isn't some type of helpful hint.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 07:54:35 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 08:15:17 am »
The filters keep sand from getting behind the jets and in the diverter valve.  Once you get sand in the diverter valve, it will start to scrape against the walls of the diverter.  Over time, the diverter will stop moving all together.  Replacing the diverter gate is not a warranty situation, so it is a good idea to keep the filters on.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 08:15:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42