What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Main electrical supply question  (Read 2548 times)

bwspa

Main electrical supply question
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:36 pm »
Once the main wire enters into the spa cabinet, does it need to remain inside NMLT conduit up to the spa control board?  I have a NMLT connector for the outside, but now I realized that I don't have a way to maintain the conduit inside as it won't mate on the other end.  So, I'm either missing a part or something else.  I'm using 6AWG stranded for all four wires.

Hot Tub Forum

Main electrical supply question
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:36 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Main electrical supply question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:50:19 pm »

If no inspection you can get away with it.  Is it right? No, but you can do it.

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:24 am »
I ran seal-tite all the way to the electronics box and terminated it there. Once inside the enclosure the wires can be freely routed. I do not consider the equipment area an electrical enclosure and code enforcement would possible see it as a potential wet area.

bwspa

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:52:21 am »
So how do you bring the seal-Tite inside the cabinet? Do you just feed the cable from the GFCI panel all the way to the spa control pack as a single run?  If so, how do you deal with the gap from the cabinet hole and the seal-tite?  Just add caulk around the gap?

If you use two runs, one leg from GFCI panel-to-cabinet and a second run from inside cabinet-to-spa control pack, how do you make these two runs?

I'm not having inspections, but I still prefer to do things correctly. 

The cabinet has a knockout hope that is 1-3/4", but I have 1" seal-tite, so there's a gap of about a 1/4".  My plan was to use an NMLT elbow to make the outside connection so it would be secure, water tight and keep the conduit pointed down rather than straight out which would require a big sweeping bend before it goes into the dirty, which would be rather ugly and a potential trip/snag issue.

I'm ok with making the electrical connections, but bringing the wire inside in a way that I believe to be the right way eludes me. It seems like there should be a connector that would mate to the inside of the NNLT elbow....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:50:19 am by bwspa »

Conine2965

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 09:43:27 am »
I ran mine all the way to the control box and put a rubber gasket where it wasn't thru cabinet.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:42:31 am »
Seal-tite has connectors that are straight and 90’s even LB’s and they come with a variety of nutted end sizes to fit the knockout hole size.

In my installation I ran mine under my deck and then drilled a hole thru the base of the tub and deck for a close fit with the seal-tite OD. My tub has a ABS base cover and I went right thru it. Made the install so you see nothing and Rodent proof also as I didn’t open any of the entrance points.

If I had chosen to come from above my corners are made to bring a conduit in at an angle.

Every install is a little different and I just did mine what worked best in my case and trying to make it as safe and to code as I could.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:42:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42