What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Spa Owner - Chemicals Needed?  (Read 4332 times)

bradleyabell

New Spa Owner - Chemicals Needed?
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:20:26 am »
I just purchased the Bullfrog X8L and am going to be running the spa frog floating system with the bromine/mineral cartridges.  I wanted to ask on here what other chemicals I will require.  It looks like there is a BUNCH of stuff out there, but not sure exactly what all I will need.  Not sure if there is a master list somewhere with a guide or what, but any help is greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

New Spa Owner - Chemicals Needed?
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:20:26 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: New Spa Owner - Chemicals Needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:38:01 am »
I just purchased the Bullfrog X8L and am going to be running the spa frog floating system with the bromine/mineral cartridges.  I wanted to ask on here what other chemicals I will require.  It looks like there is a BUNCH of stuff out there, but not sure exactly what all I will need.  Not sure if there is a master list somewhere with a guide or what, but any help is greatly appreciated!

What you need is to test and tell us what the PH and ALK readings of your source water are. Then we can tell you what you need to balance your water.
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:16:19 am »

What you need is to test and tell us what the PH and ALK readings of your source water are. Then we can tell you what you need to balance your water.

The hot tub is coming in a few weeks...I just want to be prepared and have everything I will need in the future already at my house so I can be ready for any situation that may arise with the water.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:25:15 am »

pH, alkalinity and sanitzier are the only "needs."  Everything else is ancillary to that. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:59:36 am »
What you should do is talk to the dealer you just spent 7 grand with.      Not that were not here to help you though   ;) And the wizard is spot on.   

meriflower

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:54:32 am »
Does your dealer offer water testing?  You can take a sample of your water and they can run a test.  The test will tell you what your PH/alkalinity/calcium levels are at.  Here's what I would recommend: 

PH/Alk Up and PH/Alk Down (I have both but use down more as my water is very high in PH)
Stain and Scale Control
Sanitizer start up packet
Non-chlorine Shock
Test strips

Sometimes dealers provide those when you purchase a spa, mine did, I received a "care package" when the spa was delivered.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »

The hot tub is coming in a few weeks...I just want to be prepared and have everything I will need in the future already at my house so I can be ready for any situation that may arise with the water.

The water doesn't have to come from the tub for you to test it. It needs to come from the spigot your going to fill your tub from.
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »

The water doesn't have to come from the tub for you to test it. It needs to come from the spigot your going to fill your tub from.

Just tested my hose water and my alkaline is 290 and PH is 7.9.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »

Not bad, what sanitizer method are you going to choose? This will greatly effect your adjustments to water balance. Bromine more than chlorine will drive down both your PH and you ALK, which is what you need.
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:56 am »

Not bad, what sanitizer method are you going to choose? This will greatly effect your adjustments to water balance. Bromine more than chlorine will drive down both your PH and you ALK, which is what you need.

I am going to be using the spa frog floating system (bromine+minerals).

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:28:29 am »
Dose with sodium bisulfate or muriatic acid to lower total alkalinity.  Higher alk/pH ranges can also cause a metal deposit (that "sandpaper" feeling on the shell) which is copper and or iron, common in source waters with higher pH/alk readings.  Thus, you may need a sequestering agent. . .

bradleyabell

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:40:43 pm »
Dose with sodium bisulfate or muriatic acid to lower total alkalinity.  Higher alk/pH ranges can also cause a metal deposit (that "sandpaper" feeling on the shell) which is copper and or iron, common in source waters with higher pH/alk readings.  Thus, you may need a sequestering agent. . .

Thanks for the info...What type of sequestering agent should I buy?

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 03:53:12 pm »
Most dealers have some sort of metal reducing agent that will meet your needs if that is the case.  This is not a rare product :)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »
 First get the spa, fill it, let it heat up and see where your parameters are after a day. The spa frog probably has a start up sequence to do before using.          Then start working on what needs to be done to balance your water.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:23:20 pm »
First get the spa, fill it, let it heat up and see where your parameters are after a day. The spa frog probably has a start up sequence to do before using.          Then start working on what needs to be done to balance your water. 

Good advice, don't panic your tub will be fine. Get it heated and start sanitizing, of course use it. Then see where it ends up. Wiz is right you will likely need some acid to lower ALK/PH. But go slow.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:23:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42