What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Seeking opinions on used vs. new, as well as specific tubs  (Read 5719 times)

Defence21

Seeking opinions on used vs. new, as well as specific tubs
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »
Hello.  I'm new here and am hoping you all might be able to help me as I research and eventually purchase my first hot tub.  A little back story.  My wife and I are putting an addition on our western PA home, with a construction completion expected by January 1.  We know we want a hot tub, so we're having our contractor pour a concrete pad for placement, and we'll also have him run the necessary wiring.

Now, at this point, we have two options: buy new or buy used.  Being that we're on a budget (our mortgage will be more than doubling with our addition), we want to stay under $4,000 for the hot tub.  Buying used, obviously, we could get a higher end tub, but we won't necessarily know how well it was taken care of.  Buying new, we won't necessarily get as many features, but we'll at least know we're getting a new product.

So, here are my options:

- Used (4 yrs old): $3,250 Hydropool Serenity, 6 seat.  Acquaintances of ours are selling it so they can have some spending money to do things they want with their kids.  They say it costs about $10  a month to run, but that seems low.

- Used (10 yrs old): $3,300 Sundance Altamar, 6-7 seat.  Found it on Craigslist (https://pennstate.craigslist.org/for/6214773895.html).  Link has details and photos.  Owner said he has replaced the cover with a better insulated version and says it costs $50 per month to run.

- New (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KYB5W80/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2F8EKVU54MX2K&colid=28XKXEUJZ0LX1): American Spas AM-630LS 5-Person 30-Jet Lounger Spa with Backlit LED Waterfall.  Gets really good reviews on Amazon.

- New (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01KWSXIGM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IKNGQHWS6002I&colid=28XKXEUJZ0LX1): Home and Garden 6 Person 32 Jet Spa with Stainless Jets and Ozone Included.  No reviews on Amazon, but a Google search shows significant positive reviews from the same product purchased at Lowes and Home Depot.

- New (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003FNU7YS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ZRKTSVRYQ0LJ&colid=28XKXEUJZ0LX1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div: Home and Garden Spas 6-Person 40-Jet Hot Tub with MP3 Auxiliary Output.  Not quite as positive reviews, but the auxiliary output and speakers included are a nice enhancement.

Can anyone offer input on these and/or provided other options that might work for me?  Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Seeking opinions on used vs. new, as well as specific tubs
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Seeking opinions on used vs. new, as well as specific tubs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  As an Erie native, may I ask where in Western PA?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Defence21

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:11:18 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  As an Erie native, may I ask where in Western PA?
Thank you.  I live just outside of Johnstown in Richland Twp.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:56:12 pm »
I would want to know what your mechanical abilities are. Once you buy your hot tub someone is going to need to maintain it. It's going to have probably 3x pumps and a spaghetti of hoses underneath. Things will leak and fail, that's just how it goes with something mechanical. If you have a high degree of mechanical/electrical skills, willingness, persistence, and time, you can maintain it yourself. If not you're going to have to pay someone to fix it. Paying someone to fix/maintain a hot tub is what prompts a lot of people to sell their hot tubs as they can become maintenance intensive (expensive). The further you get away from a new hot tub, the greater the liklihood (and increased frequency) that things will need servicing. So, you need to ask yourself if you are prepared to work on a used hot tub. Something that's 10 years old, you should be able to find for anywhere from free to $500 if it runs fine, based on what I've seen here ....and I've looked at several used hot tubs off C/L.

If, however, you have no idea how to use a multimeter, don't like using tools, or don't want to goof with fixing a H/T, then I would avoid buying a used hot tub altogether (unless it is only 1-3 years old) and just buy a new ....but previous years' model or some close-out which gives you some savings over full retail.

If you have great mechanical/electrical skills then, yeah, you can get phenomenal deals on a used hot tub. There are people around here that'll basically give their hot tubs away once they get done with them. I looked at a couple which I could hear run for like $500 and felt great about them. Nice guys just not using them much anymore looking for a new home for their tub. And some for $100-500 that needed pump work, and couldn't hear run that were larger question marks in terms of what would be needed to get them going again. These can be great deals, but usually you're going to have an older style tub, but if you don't mind that, it could be a great deal. If you need to have the latest and greatest then you might not be satisfied with it. Depends on what you like. In my case, I had a guy call me back who was trying to sell his H/T for like $500 (and couldn't get rid of it) and told me it was mine for free if I got it out of there. It was a contemporary styled hot tub with a ton of features so it was great. Needed a pump though (which I bought a fairly new replacement off C/L for $75), and a new cover ($450). It's had some small leaks that I got ironed out. So, in effect you're trading your time for a 'good' deal.

If you look at a hot tub that hasn't been used in a couple years (which is typically the case), then be aware that you may well be looking at something that 'could' have freeze damage you may need to repair (in the hoses you can't see), but all the parts and technical knowhow is all out there to fix them.  It's not a guarantee that it'll be damaged, but if it is and you can buy it for $100 or free, and you don't mind digging into it, then so what? If you or a neighbor have a skid loader you can just hoist it up on blocks pull off the exterior cladding and see what it needs. Find and repair any leak/s (if there are any) ....pull out all the pumps even if they're good and install new seals and impellers ...which is about an afternoon's worth of work and then you've got a really nice hot tub for a couple hundred bucks that should give you great service. Plus, at that point, you'll have learned a lot about your hot tub in the process and when it comes to maintaining it, you will be well on the way to being able to handle problems yourself since you have gained a lot of familiarity during the repair process (thereby saving you a lot on future service calls). The best thing in this case would be to find one which is as new as possible so it has contemporary styling. If you go on Youtube there are tons of videos on servicing hot tubs, repairing leaks, moving them and so on. They're pretty simple. All the parts can be bought on the internet or even locally most likely. Bear in mind that on a used hot tub, it's probably going to need a new cover somewhat soon so figure $450 for a decent one.

Does this help?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:08:23 pm by JacuzziJack »

Defence21

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »
I would want to know what your mechanical abilities are. Once you buy your hot tub someone is going to need to maintain it. It's going to have probably 3x pumps and a spaghetti of hoses underneath. Things will leak and fail, that's just how it goes with something mechanical. If you have a high degree of mechanical/electrical skills, willingness, persistence, and time, you can maintain it yourself. If not you're going to have to pay someone to fix it. Paying someone to fix/maintain a hot tub is what prompts a lot of people to sell their hot tubs as they can become maintenance intensive (expensive). The further you get away from a new hot tub, the greater the liklihood (and increased frequency) that things will need servicing. So, you need to ask yourself if you are prepared to work on a used hot tub. Something that's 10 years old, you should be able to find for anywhere from free to $500 if it runs fine, based on what I've seen here ....and I've looked at several used hot tubs off C/L.

Does this help?
Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined.  I love working with my hands with regard to any/all things landscaping, but when it comes to anything mechanical, i have zero knowledge.  So, with that said, I'll have to hire someone to do any repairs that would be necessary over time.

Your response was extremely helpful in that I now think I'll shift my focus to new.  Do you have any opinions on any of the specific tubs I linked to in my original post?  What about Belize spas offered at SpaDepot.com or this (https://www.wayfair.com/Futura-Spas-6-Person-88-Jet-Spa-with-Lounger-and-Stainless-Jets-FUTR1001.html?source=hotdeals) Futura spa sold by Wayfair?

Thanks so much for the help!

JacuzziJack

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:21 pm »
Almost all the hot tubs use pumps and controls made by the same mfgr (e.g. Balboa controls) with a few exceptions. I would look at who your local stores are in the area, how long they've been in business and what their reputations are. Then start working with them for deals. Obviously they need to make money to stay in business, but are there close-outs, or last yr's models ...do they have any repo's or anything like that where you can find some savings? Everyone who walks in their door is looking for a 'good deal', but try to allow them to work with you to find what fits your needs and budget. Do you need to have ALL the bells and whistles? Try out as many hot tubs as you can. They should let you sit in some to evaluate them. Try to find a good vendor you can have a good relationship with.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:43:30 pm by JacuzziJack »

Defence21

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 07:25:43 pm »
Almost all the hot tubs use pumps and controls made by the same mfgr (e.g. Balboa controls) with a few exceptions. I would look at who your local stores are in the area, how long they've been in business and what their reputations are. Then start working with them for deals. Obviously they need to make money to stay in business, but are there close-outs, or last yr's models ...do they have any repo's or anything like that where you can find some savings? Everyone who walks in their door is looking for a 'good deal', but try to allow them to work with you to find what fits your needs and budget. Do you need to have ALL the bells and whistles? Try out as many hot tubs as you can. They should let you sit in some to evaluate them. Try to find a good vendor you can have a good relationship with.
Thanks again for the replies!  I've checked in with two local retailers, but wasn't impressed with either.  The first didn't have answers to a lot of my questions, while the second, which has a negative regional reputation, came across as arrogant and unwilling to give me any time.  Both have "low end" models starting at $5,000, which is more than I can spend.  This is why I shifted my focus to online retailers.

meriflower

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »
I have no experience with the spas you mentioned but I have read many times the spas you can purchase online are mediocre at best.  Since you are not handy on fixing them before you purchase read up on the warranty and find out how easy or hard it is to service.  Who will be servicing it?  If you live in a cold climate and the spa stops running how long will it take to get a tech out?  Another question for delivery will they just deliver it to curbside and you move it to where you want and hook it up?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:57:50 pm by meriflower »

Aero_Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:07 am »
I would say, keep looking for a used tub. Like mentioned before, try to stay within the 1-3 year range for age. Good deals are out there to be had.
Look at the deal I found. https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,21572.0.html
If your slab is outside & construction is not due to be finished until January, then you might not really be in a rush to make a deal now (if you can't find one).
So you might have until next Spring, which gives you plenty of time to keep searching for a good / used deal.

Good Luck!

Dave...

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:06:50 am »
We live up in the Erie / Meadville area so we are aware of how cold your winters will be as well. We use our tub all 12 months and seldom say it is too cold to open the tub. –30F had me saying not tonight though.

In these extreme climate IMO it is important to have a high quality tub and a well insulated tub. You will also want your tub installed for the weather it will be seeing so you can enjoy it year round. We went way over our budget once we started looking into whet we needed.

That being said I find a lot of people fall in love with the idea of a tub and after getting it and finding they don’t use it that much or don’t like the maintenance etc. after a couple years give up and sell it. That’s the used tub you want to get. Take the winter and study up on tubs and go around to everyplace you can and wet test tubs. You will be surprised they all don’t suit everyone equally. When you find a used one then or you see you need to up the budget or save up a little longer you will know what you want when it comes along.

We started out saying 6k is the most we will spend. We ended up spending 12k. I’m glad every time I get in it we waited and got what we did.     

JacuzziJack

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:30:48 am »
I guess if your budget is $5k, then a 1-3 yr old hot tub might be a good option for you. I personally wouldn't be afraid to go used. I talked to several H/T owners and everyone I talked to ...who I went and looked at their tub, was honest with what they had ...insofar as they what they knew. Some guys knew every detail and each item that was replaced and what was good and bad about their tub. Everyone also knew exactly what they liked/didn't like about their hot tub ...and the 'BEST' seat in the tub too. Other owners didn't know hardly anything other than it was fun at first, but then it got expensive to fix ...they replaced the same pump twice and when it crapped out the last time they're saying "the heck with it" and really don't know what's wrong with their tub now --it just doesn't work.

If you found a lightly used one you felt pretty confident was problem free, that would be good. You could theoretically take until next spring and bide your time. Make a list of preferences and don't-likes. I'd want a waterfall/LED lights. Some people like loungers. Don't worry about radios. Who cares what make it is ...they all have ups and downs and like I said, most use the same control package/system so maintaining isn't typically an issue. I like Arctic Spa's strategy, but if you're thinking use, just take whatever trips your trigger.

I keep my eye on used H/T's on Craigslist all the time. You notice a lot of trends. This time of year until winter you'll see quite a few listed (people become more willing to 'deal' as you get closer to winter). A lot less activity in the winter as you'd expect, but those that do show up, you find are pretty cheap and you have many fewer competition since nobody wants to move in the snow ...you could potentially find a good deal. You can break used H/T's down to a few different groups as I see it:

• New home owners who don't want the H/T that came with the house and just want it gone. Some people think a used hot tub is gross. It may or may not work or leak. This can be a great deal, but in your case, you should probably find one you can see/hear operate. The new owners may not have enough experience with it to know if there's a leak or any problems though.
  • The Overspenders - People who are loose with their money, spent too much in the first place for a deluxe tub, don't use it like they planned, it's costing them an arm/leg to maintain, and they just want it gone because they need the money for their next toy (truck/snowmobile/harley, etc). This is a group you want to look for. Some may ask way more money than what it's worth initially, but eventually they need the money worse and if it's still around can be bought for a lot less.
  • Time to move on - People who've gotten the use out of their H/T, it's 10 yrs old now, kids are gone, hasn't worked in 2 years (usually $500 and under). These can be great fixer uppers but you'll be getting into an older style (looking) hot tub. Going to need some pump work and almost for sure a new cover. Some of these may have been housed indoors and can still look great despite their age. With a little work they can be a great bargain if an older hot tub style doesn't matter. This is great for the person with mechanical/electrical skills, but not for you.

What you might want to in the meantime is line up someone who can move a used H/T for you if you happen to find the 'right' one next week. If it's a good deal for you, just commit and get it. Newer hot tubs which are in the $3000 range don't tend to move as fast, but it's like anything, it could get sold tomorrow or be available for 3 weeks. But at least have a moving plan in place. The guys around here that do it usually charge between $500-$800 depending on difficulty. Or if you have a couple buddies (one with an 8x8 snowmobile trailer), then start thinking how you would move it yourself. Go watch some youtube videos, it's not too difficult. You and a couple buddies could lift up the end of a H/T, put some cinder blocks under one side, then slide a snowmobile trailer under it and strap it down. Or tip it on end, raise the snowmobile trailer straight up and strap it to the H/T and lower both at the same time. That's about the only way to go. When they have water in the pipes (even when drained) you're talking $1000 lbs and they're rather ungainly to manage, but not too hard if you go about it with a low/flat snowmobile trailer. If you don't have one of those, I'd just pay someone $500 to move it.

Me and a bunch of guys spend a LONG morning grunting and sliding an 8'x8' H/T into the back of my truck. We had 5 strong and capable guys. It should have been a piece of cake. Things come up you hadn't planned for. The guy I got it from had planned to redo his deck that weekend. He had it all removed, had his work all planned out  ...the new supplies lying there in the yard with most of the wood already cut. Turns out he and his boys (grown strong 23 yr old guys on leave from the military) were SO sore they just sat in the air conditioning and watched TV all weekend (his wife later told me)! Me too, I was sore for a week! We had a good laugh over that! That $500 to have an outfit move the tub sounded pretty cheap by the time I got it to my place (fortunately I had a skid loader to unload it). Still looking back I think I might have been better off paying someone else to do the job.

Hey, let us know what you end up with.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:50:45 am by JacuzziJack »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:52 pm »

Does this help?
Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined.  I love working with my hands with regard to any/all things landscaping, but when it comes to anything mechanical, i have zero knowledge.  So, with that said, I'll have to hire someone to do any repairs that would be necessary over time.

Your response was extremely helpful in that I now think I'll shift my focus to new.  Do you have any opinions on any of the specific tubs I linked to in my original post?  What about Belize spas offered at SpaDepot.com or this (https://www.wayfair.com/Futura-Spas-6-Person-88-Jet-Spa-with-Lounger-and-Stainless-Jets-FUTR1001.html?source=hotdeals) Futura spa sold by Wayfair?

Thanks so much for the help!

In many ways buying a new spa off a website really isn't too much different from buying a used spa, you're pretty much in charge of everything either way.

In your original post you stated your friend has a 4 year old Hydropool for a decent price and if you can see that running then that's not a bad option when you're looking to stay under $4k which is tough to do with a new spa from a dealer. In that case you might want to see if there is a local spa mover that will disconnect and move the spa and maybe they even can recommend an electrician for reconnect.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Defence21

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:15 pm »
I have no experience with the spas you mentioned but I have read many times the spas you can purchase online are mediocre at best.  Since you are not handy on fixing them before you purchase read up on the warranty and find out how easy or hard it is to service.  Who will be servicing it?  If you live in a cold climate and the spa stops running how long will it take to get a tech out?  Another question for delivery will they just deliver it to curbside and you move it to where you want and hook it up?
I have a technician who will work on the spa, but you bring up a really good point about how long it would take him to get there.  I'll keep this in mind!

Defence21

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 06:21:48 pm »
I would say, keep looking for a used tub. Like mentioned before, try to stay within the 1-3 year range for age. Good deals are out there to be had.
Look at the deal I found. https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,21572.0.html
If your slab is outside & construction is not due to be finished until January, then you might not really be in a rush to make a deal now (if you can't find one).
So you might have until next Spring, which gives you plenty of time to keep searching for a good / used deal.

Good Luck!

Dave...
Our friends who are selling their spa are going to let us wet test it in the coming weeks.  From what I gather -- and I fully trust them -- they've maintained it quite well and have quite a bit of knowledge of it.  I think, as of right now, we're leaning toward buying from them, but I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for others.

Defence21

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »
We live up in the Erie / Meadville area so we are aware of how cold your winters will be as well. We use our tub all 12 months and seldom say it is too cold to open the tub. –30F had me saying not tonight though.

In these extreme climate IMO it is important to have a high quality tub and a well insulated tub. You will also want your tub installed for the weather it will be seeing so you can enjoy it year round. We went way over our budget once we started looking into whet we needed.

That being said I find a lot of people fall in love with the idea of a tub and after getting it and finding they don’t use it that much or don’t like the maintenance etc. after a couple years give up and sell it. That’s the used tub you want to get. Take the winter and study up on tubs and go around to everyplace you can and wet test tubs. You will be surprised they all don’t suit everyone equally. When you find a used one then or you see you need to up the budget or save up a little longer you will know what you want when it comes along.

We started out saying 6k is the most we will spend. We ended up spending 12k. I’m glad every time I get in it we waited and got what we did.     
We've got a $4,000 budget -- max.  Going over is not an option for us, since we're also adding a $97,000 addition with a rec. room that will need fully furnished.  Some might ask, "If you can afford the addition, what's an additional $4,000 on your hot tub budget?" but, really, we've already stretched ourselves much thinner with the addition than we had planned, and so we have to be very careful with the hot tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42