What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Hot Tub Wiring / Not Turning On  (Read 2606 times)

Pcarrier0927@aol.com

Used Hot Tub Wiring / Not Turning On
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »
Good Evening!
I appreciate you taking the time to read this post.
Me and my wife just purchased our first home. I thought it would be a good idea to buy a hottub for us!
I wired up a 220 with a spa disconnect from the main breaker in the house.
When I was wiring up the Jacuzzi from the spa disconnect I hooked everything up and tried to test the voltage. (I followed balboa's instructions on how to test for volatage.) I ended up getting sparks when I tested for voltage and never tried that again.
Keep in mind I saw the Jacuzzi work in person when I picked it up.
As of now the Jacuzzi is not turning on what so ever. The display does not come on at all. I replaced the fuses inside the panel and still got nothing.
At this point I am totally lost and was hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction before I have to call the professionals and spend the big bucks.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Hot Tub Forum

Used Hot Tub Wiring / Not Turning On
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Used Hot Tub Wiring / Not Turning On
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:49:07 am »
Good Evening!
I appreciate you taking the time to read this post.
Me and my wife just purchased our first home. I thought it would be a good idea to buy a hottub for us!
I wired up a 220 with a spa disconnect from the main breaker in the house.
When I was wiring up the Jacuzzi from the spa disconnect I hooked everything up and tried to test the voltage. (I followed balboa's instructions on how to test for volatage.) I ended up getting sparks when I tested for voltage and never tried that again.
Keep in mind I saw the Jacuzzi work in person when I picked it up.
As of now the Jacuzzi is not turning on what so ever. The display does not come on at all. I replaced the fuses inside the panel and still got nothing.
At this point I am totally lost and was hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction before I have to call the professionals and spend the big bucks.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Can you post a photo of the wiring inside the disconnect?
Retired

Pcarrier0927@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:22:22 am »
I am trying to figure out how to attach a pictures to this thread.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:10 am »
More information is needed. What directions from balboa did you follow? Can you link the information?

Testing voltage should never result in sparks, and running 220v feed to a GFCI subpanel and installing a breaker into your main panel and wiring it to the subpanel shouldn’t be attempted unless you have a fairly good level of skills with home wiring. As you saw sparks when you attempted to check voltage tells me you shorted something to cause said sparks. There is a lot of electronics in a modern hot tub and they are sensitive to stray voltages jumping around with things sparking.

You should have 220v coming out of your main panel where you connected the wires to the new circuit breaker you installed. It should be rated for the current draw of the tub something like 50a. the wiring to the tub has to be sized based on the current and the length of the run. Something like 6 or 8 gage copper. Where it runs thru the house code has one set of rules on the type of wire and where it exists the house another. There is also code requirements on where the GFCI sub panel can be located relative to the tub and the size of wire and the type of conduit it has to be run thru getting to the tub. Lastly the tub has to be connected to the power in the proper way at the correct connections.

None of this work is to be done with the power energized. With the exception of carefully checking voltage with a proper meter set to the correct settings.

If when you took the reading your test probe contacted something else a source of ground etc at the same time as the hot connection that’s when you get a spark. If that stray voltage found its way onto a circuit card it could have easily fried it. when the spark happened did the breaker trip or did the GFCI trip. If they did you did reset them????

We can try and help and verify you have things connected to the proper points with a photo of the connections. Make sure all the above is done correctly for the safety of you and your family.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 01:00:49 pm »
Not to be picky, but Jacuzzi does not use Balboa.  If you have Balboa, you don't have Jacuzzi.  If you have Jacuzzi,  you don't have Balboa.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »
Many people around here use Jacuzzi as a generic word for hot tub or spa. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:00:18 pm »
Many people around here use Jacuzzi as a generic word for hot tub or spa.

Pretty sure after 20+ years in the spa industry, Dan knows that.   ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:00:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42