What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Hot Tub Owner (Coleman Lazy Spa)  (Read 3863 times)

jcn92

First Time Hot Tub Owner (Coleman Lazy Spa)
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:24 pm »
I have purchased a Coleman Lazy Spa, an inflatable hot tub, and am completely overwhelmed at trying to learn about how to maintain it. I have purchased a few items to help me maintain it, but am not sure if I'm using these items correctly. The items I've purchased are the following; Leisure Time A Spa Bright and Clear, Quart, Litmus pH Test Strips, Universal Application (pH 1-14), 2 Packs of 100 Strips, and Clorox Pool&Spa 60001CLX Small Pool 1-Inch Chlorinating Floater Tablets, 1.5-Pound.

I have a lot of general questions, so I'll just list them below and hopefully somebody can help me learn about this. I would appreciate it greatly.

• What temperature should I keep the spa at when I'm not using it?
  • Is it okay for the water if I leave the heat off for extended periods of time?
  • How important it is to check alkalinity in addition to pH?
  • How often should I add chemicals to the spa?
  • How often should I refill the chlorine dispenser with chlorine?
  • When adding chemicals what chemicals should I add? Is the Leisure Time Spa Bright and Clear I purchased adequate?
  • The hot tub has a filter setting. How often should I run the filter setting on the hot tub?
  • Should I invest in a more sophisticated water testing kit like a Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection?
  • If I notice algae on the underside of the lid of the spa and the slippery feeling on the inside of the spa is it best to just drain the spa rather than try and get the water to clear up?
  • What are the basic tasks I should do weekly to make sure that my spa operates well?

If you have any tips or other comments that you think would be helpful I would be grateful.

Hot Tub Forum

First Time Hot Tub Owner (Coleman Lazy Spa)
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:24 pm »

mpkelley20

Re: First Time Hot Tub Owner (Coleman Lazy Spa)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:13:17 pm »
I had an earlier version of the Lay Z spa that I used for two seasons.  It is why I decided to go with a tub I could use year round based on how much use it got during warmer months.  Great little tub for someone not wanting a permanent fixture!

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

Up to you but that tub doesn't heat overly fast so I would keep it within a couple of degrees of where you want it to be.  If this runs on a 120v then the heater does not heat when jets are on.  So, imo, I would keep it at the temp you want the water to be when you are in it.

• Is it okay for the water if I leave the heat off for extended periods of time?
Yes this is OK as long as you are still filtering it and maintaining chemicals

Very important.  Alkalinity buffer changes in PH so you want that to be in line so your PH remains more stable.  Get you AL in line before PH

whenever it needs it.  Routine water testing is required. I would add chlorine after you use it for a while  Plenty of write-ups on here about maintaining your chemicals

get rid of it.  My guess is you bought 1" Tri-Chlor tablets.  Don't use those.  You want to use either Dichlor or bleach (yes I said bleach) and add it when needed.  Dichlor is granuals, not tablets.  Only tablets I know of are tri0chlor which is not the best for hot tubs.

• When adding chemicals what chemicals should I add? Is the Leisure Time Spa Bright and Clear I purchased adequate?
You only need 3 chemicals to effective maintain your water.  Chlorine (either dichlor granuals or household bleach).  Baking soda to adjust alkalinity and PH.  Borax laundry booster to increase PH (without impacting alkalinity)

• The hot tub has a filter setting. How often should I run the filter setting on the hot tub?
I would run it for 4 to 6 hours a day.  You need to maintain water movement and that might also be the primary way the water gets heated. 

• Should I invest in a more sophisticated water testing kit like a Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection?
Generally I would say yes to getting a quality set like Taylor or TFT but you can probably get away with a set of test strips.

• If I notice algae on the underside of the lid of the spa and the slippery feeling on the inside of the spa is it best to just drain the spa rather than try and get the water to clear up?
You can either drain it and clean or you can shock it with additional chlorine which will kill the algae.  Make sure you wipe it regardless of if you drain it or shock it.  Got to keep water moving.

• What are the basic tasks I should do weekly to make sure that my spa operates well?

Test you water frequently (daily if you can).  Clean filters.  Add chemicals when needed.  Have fun using it

jcn92

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:12:15 pm »
Thanks! I appreciate this so much.

jcn92

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:06:26 pm »
I had an earlier version of the Lay Z spa that I used for two seasons.  It is why I decided to go with a tub I could use year round based on how much use it got during warmer months.  Great little tub for someone not wanting a permanent fixture!

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

Up to you but that tub doesn't heat overly fast so I would keep it within a couple of degrees of where you want it to be.  If this runs on a 120v then the heater does not heat when jets are on.  So, imo, I would keep it at the temp you want the water to be when you are in it.

Yes this is OK as long as you are still filtering it and maintaining chemicals

Very important.  Alkalinity buffer changes in PH so you want that to be in line so your PH remains more stable.  Get you AL in line before PH

whenever it needs it.  Routine water testing is required. I would add chlorine after you use it for a while  Plenty of write-ups on here about maintaining your chemicals

get rid of it.  My guess is you bought 1" Tri-Chlor tablets.  Don't use those.  You want to use either Dichlor or bleach (yes I said bleach) and add it when needed.  Dichlor is granuals, not tablets.  Only tablets I know of are tri0chlor which is not the best for hot tubs.

You only need 3 chemicals to effective maintain your water.  Chlorine (either dichlor granuals or household bleach).  Baking soda to adjust alkalinity and PH.  Borax laundry booster to increase PH (without impacting alkalinity)

I would run it for 4 to 6 hours a day.  You need to maintain water movement and that might also be the primary way the water gets heated. 

Generally I would say yes to getting a quality set like Taylor or TFT but you can probably get away with a set of test strips.

You can either drain it and clean or you can shock it with additional chlorine which will kill the algae.  Make sure you wipe it regardless of if you drain it or shock it.  Got to keep water moving.

Test you water frequently (daily if you can).  Clean filters.  Add chemicals when needed.  Have fun using it

Hey thanks again for answering my previous questions. I think I'm going to go with bromine tablets and a bromine booster because that seems to be the simplest route.

I'm wondering if you or anyone reading this could help me understand what chemicals I need to buy. I have purchased a new and better test kit, but reading online am overwhelmed at the number of different types of chemicals. This link http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/spa-hot-tub-chemicals-for-dummies/ lists balancers, clarifiers, shocks, cleaners, and sanitizers among the different types of chemicals. My questions are

• Are bromine tablets and booster what I would use to control the PH, alkalinity, and calcium hardness?
  • Are any of those types of chemicals I listed above from the link necessary in addition to bromine tablets and booster?
  • When you say add baking soda and borax laundry booster, how often do you add them and in what amounts? How do you use those products to fluctuate the PH

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:08:18 pm by jcn92 »

mpkelley20

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:07:09 am »
With the bromine tabs, you need to add a starter boost to activate the bromide.  After that, it is simply adding some shock every once in a while.  You can use bleach, dichlor or MPS (non chlorine shock).  It's all sold on Amaxon or your local pool place.

As for PH and Alkalinity, borime does not regulate those so you will need additional chemicals. As I stated in my previous post, baking soda for raising Alkalinity and PH together or Boarax for raising PH without affecting AL.  AL acts as a buffer for your PH.  It helps keep your PH from fluctuating as much due to other things in the water like aeration or chemicals.  FDor a hot tub, the recommended levels are somewhere between 50-100 for your AL.  Once you get that in line you can see where your PH is and adjust if needed.  7.4 is a good PH level.

All of these tests can be done with test strips.  I would test the water every other day at a minimum.  As long as your AL in in line, your shouldn't need to adjust anything else too often.  But keeping a small box of baking soda and Borax on hand is pretty cheap to do and we are only talking tablespoon levels for adjusting.

Don't forget to change your water every so often.  With permanent tubs, it is every 3 months.  With the Lay Z Spa I would say maybe more often.  The filter/pump on that is very finicky.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »
With the bromine tabs, you need to add a starter boost to activate the bromide.  After that, it is simply adding some shock every once in a while.  You can use bleach, dichlor or MPS (non chlorine shock).  It's all sold on Amaxon or your local pool place.

As for PH and Alkalinity, borime does not regulate those so you will need additional chemicals. As I stated in my previous post, baking soda for raising Alkalinity and PH together or Boarax for raising PH without affecting AL.  AL acts as a buffer for your PH.  It helps keep your PH from fluctuating as much due to other things in the water like aeration or chemicals.  FDor a hot tub, the recommended levels are somewhere between 50-100 for your AL.  Once you get that in line you can see where your PH is and adjust if needed.  7.4 is a good PH level.

All of these tests can be done with test strips.  I would test the water every other day at a minimum.  As long as your AL in in line, your shouldn't need to adjust anything else too often.  But keeping a small box of baking soda and Borax on hand is pretty cheap to do and we are only talking tablespoon levels for adjusting.

Don't forget to change your water every so often.  With permanent tubs, it is every 3 months.  With the Lay Z Spa I would say maybe more often.  The filter/pump on that is very finicky.

If your PH needs to be lowered granular acid is the tool for that.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42