What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which spa to buy  (Read 6947 times)

hbcpa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Which spa to buy
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:30:34 am »
My wife and I have been looking for a spa and have narrowed our choice to the jacuzzi j365 and a sunset spa. Sunset makes the shell and the dealer adds the jets and equipment. A spa is a compromise between a pool, she wants and a spa I want. We have wet tested both and they are comparable. The main difference is that we can sink the sunset and put some water features around it. has anyone heard aboouot sunset and am I making a misstake by putting it in the ground. We live in Florida so there is no danger of freezing. Both spas are around $6300 this is before any fancy water features.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Which spa to buy
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:30:34 am »

spaguyohio

Re: Which spa to buy
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 09:20:05 am »
Ok, so youre putting 6300.00 worth of stuff in the ground, and if theres something wrong, how the heck is a tech going to get at it ? Sinking in a deck is one thing, as most people have access underneath for a tech to work on the spa, but in the ground? Maybe its just me, but I would re-think that installation.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 01:38:21 pm »
If you want it that custom, go for it. Just remember to post some photos here for us. In your area, as you know, almost every house has an inground pool. This is the same thing on a smaller scale. You'll have a remote site equipment pack heater, controller, filter, that will be above ground for service needs. I wouldn't be too concerned about the plumbing underground. In the same vien as a full foam spa, the ground is going to support that plumbing just fine. Sounds like a great project. Send pics when its done!
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

hbcpa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:23:01 pm »
I appreciate your advice. Any thoughts on the Jacuzzi vs. the Sunset. Sunset just sells the shells and the dealer configures to your specs. Not exactly sure what equipment he uses but he waranties the equipment for 5 years

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 08:27:10 am »
Did you post this same question over on the Haven website?  There is a remakably simiar post over there to this one.  If it's true that you did post over there, be advised that the owner of that business, (Who's now declared himself the number one internet spa company or some similar drivel) will say bad things about every other spa brand to steer you to his merchandise, which is really just Phoenix spas with his brand sticker slapped on.  Be very careful about following any advice given over there.  
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 10:44:29 am »
Here is one we sunk. Sank? Had sinked?.....

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 11:21:59 am »
Sinkded.
Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:38:01 pm »
There are going to be a couple of differences between the Jacuzzi Spa and the Sunset. The Jacuzzi will have recessed jets that you will not feel when you sit with your body next to them. The sunset is being plumbed by the installer and probably all jets will be mounted on the shell and slightly raised. It could maybe be a little uncomfortable when you are resting your body next to them. As in the photo Chaz posted, very nice by the way, you will need to have access to the spa in the event service is needed. A little more thought going into the deck building will be needed. The Jacuzzi will be self contained with all equipment inside the skirt and very quiet. The Sunset will need remote site equipment, that if placed too close to a bedroom window could be bothersome.

I appreciate your advice. Any thoughts on the Jacuzzi vs. the Sunset. Sunset just sells the shells and the dealer configures to your specs. Not exactly sure what equipment he uses but he waranties the equipment for 5 years

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 01:42:48 am »
on Aug 3rd, 2004, 9:20am, spaguyohio wrote; "Ok, so youre putting 6300.00 worth of stuff in the ground, and if theres something wrong, how the heck is a tech going to get at it ?"

The same way you service spas with full foam insulation. With great difficulty:-)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 05:03:12 am »
All these years and all the techs I have talked to, not a one has said servicing a FF tub is very difficult. Matter of fact the only people that say it is difficult are those that own non FF and have been convinced its difficult by someone who sells non FF, Weird, wacky, wild, salesmen stuff!!

Good job non FF salesman.
Retired

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 12:16:54 pm »
All these years and all the techs I have talked to, not a one has said servicing a FF tub is very difficult. Matter of fact the only people that say it is difficult are those that own non FF and have been convinced its difficult by someone who sells non FF, Weird, wacky, wild, salesmen stuff!!

Now now... It's not our fault that all of those non-FF repairmen get more practice...

-Ed

oceanboyzz

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 05:20:23 pm »
every spa dealer told me or
suggested that i dont put it in the ground
if you want one in the ground
contact a pool company
and have them concrete one
everyone i know in calif or fla
has a concrete type spa in the ground

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 09:28:56 pm »
every spa dealer told me or
suggested that i dont put it in the ground
Except this one, and I suspect several others who may chime in.

Put it in a vault, but by all means set it down if you want to: all the way or part way. You get a modern tub loaded with features that can't be done on a traditional in-ground spa, lower operating costs, generally lower installation costs, and in general, a better spa experience. Hot all the time, quieter, good insulation, no external equipment, much more comfortable than a cement/plaster tub, and you can wet test one of these before you dig.

Go to just about any of the major name-brand tub maker's web sites to see some installation ideas.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:29:44 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Roborph

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 09:51:49 pm »
 I'd never buy a tub I couldn't wet test. Can you wet test the Sunset????

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:24:49 pm »

No, I am not a hot tub salesman. Just someone looking to buy their first spa. From what I have learned on this forum, both Full Foam and non FF spas have good and bad points. But - there is no way in your wildest drug induced hallucinations that you can say that servicing a full foam tub is as easy as one which uses an open architecture.

One thing I will say, is that of the tubs we have looked at full foam provided much better sound insulation. For me, the fact that non full foam may be more prone to leaking is a non issue. If it leaks so what? I can see the leak and fix it. If I was to get a minor leak in a FF tub it could be months before I was aware of it. By which time the damage would have been done.

Having said all that, the tub we are looking at buying is a Beachcomber 750. But that is based on how it feels not how it's built. I would make a bet with anyone though, that the days of full foam and wooden frames are coming to an end. But until then, I will be happy to soak in my Beachcomber full foam tub. :D

Steve K

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:24:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42