What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trex Deck  (Read 7013 times)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Trex Deck
« on: July 29, 2004, 01:17:02 am »
Anyone have Trex Deck under their spa?
I'm at the point of deciding wood or trex for the decking. Trex sounds like a great choice - was it for you?
e

Hot Tub Forum

Trex Deck
« on: July 29, 2004, 01:17:02 am »

UnderTheStars

Re: Trex Deck
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:23:15 am »
It's durability makes it an attractive option.  I've not used it but I know it has a lot more flex than wood framing of comparable size.  (pick up one end of a Trex decking board at your DIY center, give it a shake and you'll see what I mean.)

If considering it I'd be very careful with the load/span tables.   Hiring a structural engineer to sign off on the design would be a must-have IMO.  I wouldn't go near parking a 5000 lb. load on a Trex deck without proper design help.  About 24 hours ago there was a thread discussing proper bracing for a wood deck.  There I recommended local code office to help with design.  With Trex - no way, hire out the design.

I'd also listen/follow closely the engineer and manufacturer's specs on fastener type and location.  Trex is a maleable or "soft" plastic.  Seems to me if you suspend too much vertical load on a single fastener the fastener hole would elongate over time and allow movement in that joint.  I'm thinking specifically where the horizontal joist is lag or carriage bolted to a plastic vertical post.

I think Trex looks like a great route.  But don't let someone versed in wood framing tell you what support/framing to use with Trex.  Hire an engineer - it's not that expensive.  Your new hottub is a SERIOUS amount of weight that IS expensive!  Keep us updated if you take the Trex journey!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 05:50:51 am by UnderTheStars »

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 06:09:42 am »
Update - I got curious and went to Trex website (FAQ.)  First thing I learned: ". . .it is not intended for use as a load bearing post, joist or any other primary load-bearing member."  So you use conventional wood framing and Trex for the decking surface/railings.

They also address joist size/span for decking but also say:  "Special applications/loading conditions will require engineering analysis and/or reduced spans."  A hottub would constitute "special load conditions."

The above comes from WWW.trex.com  The FAQ are in a drop-down menu under "product information" at the top of their main page.  Hope this helps, keep us posted!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:15:28 am by UnderTheStars »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 08:59:10 am »
Had the funds been available, I would have opted for Trex on my deck.  Currently, we have PT 2x6's as decking over 2x10's on 8" centers under the tub all supported by 3-2x12's resting on 8x8 pilings.  I'm sure the Trex could be substituted for the 2x6 decking without compromise, in my case.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

empolgation

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 10:05:44 am »
Thanks for the info. The consideration is for decking surface only.  The design was engineered for 200+psi but that was in considertion of a wood surface. I'm looking to contact a "trex authorized contractor" to get more info.
e

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 10:22:51 am »
I think there is a class action lawsuit against trex because their boards can, indeed, split and rot.  At least, I think it is trex.

I would do some research on that before making a decision.  In MD that stuff is $30 for a 2x4x18!

-Ed

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:02:23 am »
Seems to be a suit alright. Bummer. Looks like you can simply seal the stuff and be free from the rotting and failing - but that sort of defeats the 'no maintenance' concept.

Go Vinyl or go home....

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:27:27 am »
Look in to Eon decking. I just spent $20,000 on a deck and new spa. It is awsome. go to eonoutdoor.com there is a information forum and a photo gallery of about 60 photo's. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards.  The look of Trex -vs- Eon is day and night.
Eoe is simply beautiful. And when people see it the first thing they say is WOW.

rodger

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:09:34 pm »
There are two forums you need to research. I was thinking about composite decking, but changed my mind. One product: Ipe, one source: http://www.eastteak.com/, one name: George. Face fasten the boards with Trimstar stainless screws, put Anchor seal on all cut ends, don't bother plugging. Put a sealer on the wood if you want to keep the original color, let weather naturally for a pleasant silver-gray. Just research the forums below and decide for yourself. You'll be amazed at how inexpensive Ipe is.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/porch/

and the best one:

http://www.homeressources.com/forum/list.php?f=7

Best forum members are Joe Woods, Kevin Shumard, Mike Stanislaw, John Hyatt. and a fellow named Clemens

Rodger

empolgation

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 01:52:42 pm »
wow great info - thank you.

I've learned enough about Trex to rule it out. Am now researching eON. Any other wood alternatives to recommend?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 02:08:50 pm by empolgation »
e

rodger

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 10:37:25 pm »
I considered Eon too. It's on sale this week at Menards for something less that $2 I think.. It's an all plastic product, that I was iniitally impressed with. However, we live in N. MN and experience tremendous temperature swings. I was concerned with the expansion characteristics and brittleness when cold of composite or all plastic. There is one non-wood product that deserves consideration. It's called Correct Deck and has pretty good tech specs. It didn't have the expansion behavior like some of the others. Check it out at http://www.correctdeck.com

For Eon and other stuff check

http://www.austinwholesaledecking.com/eon/gallery.htm

KevinH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 10:58:39 pm »
Check out ipe wood (do a search on google).

It's a Brazilian hardwood that holds up. A friend of mine has built several decks with it.

It's extreamely heavy and dense. The wood is beautiful. Not much more expensive than redwood decking.

The only drawback is you have to order it and you will go through several diamond saw blades cutting it. It's about 2-4 times heaver that normal wood.

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 11:03:31 pm »
Ahhhh Trex......that's so like 5 years ago! The composite market is filled with many superior products! I went with TimberTech for my 1600 Sq. foot deck and it looks awesome! The railing system for timberTech is one of the best I've seen! I'm not a fan of the generic white vinyl rails. Look at the Ornamental Railing system they have! It's sturdy and doesn't shake like many of the vinyl ones. The decking was great to work with and came in 20 foot lengths. No more looking to see which one is straight, they're all perfect! Trex was too plain for me. No wood grain look. There are several other types of composites I'd check out as well if I wee you. Evergrain makes a nice one as well. As far as structure goes, as loog as the support system underneath is solid, you can use composites. You're just  going to have to use smaller spans on the joist.  Good Luck!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 03:03:59 pm »
Sure does look nice!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

empolgation

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 02:30:47 pm »
Decision has been made. I went with EverGrain and it will be the first composite that I've used.

My reasons for choosing EverGrain:
- it looked the best to me of all composites I saw
- I liked how it looked after it went through its fading
- it was the least hot on the feet of the composites I walked on
- it was one of the least bending (I can carry a 16' plank without dragging an end on the ground)
- it appeared to be one of the harder composites before and after weathering (via the "fingernail scratch test")
- I've found no negative feedback specific to EverGrain
- BOCA/SBCCI and ICBO approved

I didn't go all plastic because:
- there's not much available in my area
- it looked too plastic to me
- it was really hot on the feet

Ipe wasn't an option for me because of availablity, cost, additional labor for instalation and I didn't want to support its harvest practices (I've seen some when I lived in Brazil)

Thanks all for your input!
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 02:30:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42