What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help with choosing a hot tub!  (Read 3959 times)

bender338

Please help with choosing a hot tub!
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:38:27 pm »
Hello,

This forum has a lot of great info and experienced members. Can you please provide your opinion on which hot tub I should purchase. Today I went to hot tub place and the sales women offered me 2 models. I will be placing the tub on a concrete patio. Mostly will be used by me, Male 6"4 and sometimes my wife 5"9. Any feedback is appreciated. I like thew lounge chair, but since I'm 6"4', the back of the HotSpring moving jet frame was digging into my skin. Not sure if that will change when the tub will have water.

1) Vanguard HotSpring Hot Tub with cover, install, ACE Salt Water Sanitization System, sub panel for $13,142.94 (cash price) tax included.
2) Flair Limelight Hot Tub with same accessories for $10,600(cash price) tax included

They are HotSpring dealer and can order any tub I want. Problem is, I don't know what I want. Please guide me at some models I should be looking at, considering I'm 6"4.

Also, are these price high? Im In Philadelphia PA.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Please help with choosing a hot tub!
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:38:27 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Please help with choosing a hot tub!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:47 am »
 High prices I think you are in line around the country with HS.  I would imagine there are plenty of other dealers around the area?  Since you are looking at top end?   Check out Bullfrog, Sundance and Jacuzzi brand. As well as Marquis and Beach Comber or Artesian.   All very nice spas that fit a wide array of people and budgets. 

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:09:37 am »
Sitting in a tub without water will tell you very little except if maybe you will fit. Therapeutic tubs are designed to hold you in place against the water jet pressure and without water will feel like the seating is too deep and angled too much. If a seat or a tub feels good empty it is more of a social seating and if you put on strong jets you will fight to stay on the seat.

We live on the other end of the state and get some very cold winters and you can get equally as low of temps, and being tall and your wife average you need a deep tub with an assortment of seating depth to suit you both in the cold months. Quite often people are off a degree or so on what temp they like and it is quite often one person is deeper in the water and overheating sooner.

We are 6’0” and 5’11” and thought we wanted a 7 foot tub 6 person with a lounge. We ended up with an 8 foot tub and a couple inches deeper and that extra length we are now very glad we have even when it is just the two of us in it. To me a 6 person tub is really a 4 person tub with a couple seats that don’t get used a lot except where you step in and to cool down at a slightly higher height.

Some people like us love the recliner seat and others say they would never get one again. It sounds good when you think about it but it is the seat you really want to wet test. I sit in ours a lot with the jets on the lowest setting or no jets at all.

Here are a few things most people never think about. Picture the tub on your deck and what way it will be orientated. Where the steps will be and what seat you will step down onto when you enter and exit. You want that to be the flattest and least used seat so people don’t have to shift around when someone gets in or our plus safety. Picture the view from the main seats looking out. Looking out at stars is much better than looking at the back wall of the house. Think about what direction you want the cover lifter to move and not block your view and it is much better if the lifter doesn’t attach to the service panel end. Think about where the controls will be and where the filter well is. In the winter you will be getting and out of the filter area to service things and it is nice if you only have to open the cover half way to do that and that it is in a location where you don’t have to stand in a bush or a pile of snow to get at.

Few more thought is snow and rain. We put ours in late in the summer and enjoyed it star gazing for a month and then it seemed every night I wanted to go in and there was a cold drizzle and then leaves floating in nonstop. I tried to picture winter and snow and knew we needed a roof. I built a pergola style and covered it. I miss the open sky but it was something that allowed us to use it twice as much. In the winter I have some tarp like side curtains I made that go on hooks and they block the artic winds and come off in a couple seconds when we want to view the snow on a calm night. I keep them up all winter than nothing will keep you in the house more than looking out and seeing a foot of frozen snow on the cover.
I know it is romantic to picture the tub out in the yard in a garden, but the closer it is to the door the more you will use it. Ours is one step out the door. Less to shovel and less cold on the bare feet.

My last tip I did is have a water supply right there close to the tub and a short hose less than 10’ long that you don’t have to crawl in the bushes to get to. I added winter proof spigot about 5 foot high and tied into the water under the kitchen sink inside, both hot and cold. It is normally set to cold but for cleaning the filter or getting ice off the deck or steps or the cover hot works great. I also use hot if I’m going to top off the water and plan on going right in no reason to chill the water. In the summer if you have kids around the cold hose is handy for getting grass off their feet before getting in.

We bought what suited all the above best for us and we bought a Caldera Geneva. The 2017 model has a few slight changes from ours. But features we liked are the second control panel that can be used inside the tub. The foot massage in the recliner and the wrist massagers in the captain’s seat. We love what they call the euphoria jets. Couple things I believe only Caldera has but I could be wrong that I liked a lot. It has a dual GFCI breaker half for the pumps and half for the heater. If your heater ever goes and they all do at some point the tub goes into survival mode on the other half of the breaker and keeps circulating water very slowly. If it is below zero like it gets here that could mean you have a few days’ supply of hot water to get someone out to repair it before it freezes up. The other thing I liked was the insulation they use is a dense pack stuff they call fiber-cor. If you get a leak the water will leak straight down from the problem to give you a clue. You take off the side and scoop it out make the repair and pack it right back in.

The tub that is right for me might not be right for you. But you should wet test them to know. And don’t hurry the testing take your time and try every diverter and jet setting etc.

Good luck and enjoy. 

TemptingDestiny

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:51:22 pm »
My suggestion is to wet test the Vanguard and the Flair. You aren't looking at different models in the same collection- you are looking at two different collections, entirely. They are not equal. The Vanguard has all open seating, where the Flair has the lounge in it. Jetting is completely different, too. If you have a chance to maybe soak in an Aria or even Envoy- you might feel the lounge feels different with the Moto Massage as well. The Highlife Series has a wider foot well then the Limelight Series- with you being 6'4" and wifey being 5'9", there is a good possibility you may tangle legs in the Limelight series when trying to complete a seating circuit.

Typically I would pair Flair/Aria and Pulse/Vanguard. Similar seating, similiar size, different jetting.

bender338

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:41:15 pm »
High prices I think you are in line around the country with HS.  I would imagine there are plenty of other dealers around the area?  Since you are looking at top end?   Check out Bullfrog, Sundance and Jacuzzi brand. As well as Marquis and Beach Comber or Artesian.   All very nice spas that fit a wide array of people and budgets.

Thank you for your response. I want to spend around 10k. Will look at the models you mentioned. Did not think it was this complicated to purchase a tub.

bender338

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:50:28 pm »
Sitting in a tub without water will tell you very little except if maybe you will fit. Therapeutic tubs are designed to hold you in place against the water jet pressure and without water will feel like the seating is too deep and angled too much. If a seat or a tub feels good empty it is more of a social seating and if you put on strong jets you will fight to stay on the seat.

We live on the other end of the state and get some very cold winters and you can get equally as low of temps, and being tall and your wife average

WOW. Thank you very much for great tips. What do you mean for the cover to be removable? The ones I saw, both had covers that were attached to the tub.

Also, how often do you use your tub after sunset? Trying to understand if I will actually use it or if it will just sit there on the patio.

Do you use the tub when its windy as well?

Again thank you for your comments.

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:08:24 am »

We live on the other end of the state and get some very cold winters and you can get equally as low of temps, and being tall and your wife average

WOW. Thank you very much for great tips. What do you mean for the cover to be removable? The ones I saw, both had covers that were attached to the tub.

Also, how often do you use your tub after sunset? Trying to understand if I will actually use it or if it will just sit there on the patio.

Do you use the tub when its windy as well?

Again thank you for your comments.

The cover I was talking about is the cover where the pumps and heaters are behind. One of the side panels on the outside of the tub. The tub cover goes on top and on smaller tubs you just fold it in half and lift it off. On a bigger tub they get pretty heavy and they attach a cover lifter to the side panels of your tub to help you open and move the top. I don’t like those attachment points being in the panel that covers the pumps and stuff that may need serviced down the road.

We live on the great lakes and it gets artic cold and we use the tub all winter. Maybe even more in the winter than summer. Wind rain snow we are out in all of it. But we have the removable coverings I made to block a lot of the weather. It is not a lot of fun hot tubbing in a cold winter rain.

We use the tub right before bed a lot and night time is great with the tub lights on. I also have my morning coffee in the tub on weekends. So anytime is tub time.

We had friends that had a beautiful tub and never used it and after a couple years sold it. You have to like it to use it and it is a lot easier to like if the experience is easy to have. If you have to spend a hour clearing snow off and around it to use it for 15 minutes then you won’t use it. All the things I mentioned make it easy to maintain and use.

twodogs02

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:13:48 pm »
I think you should first decide on a budget, which it seems you have, and then start wet testing tubs in your budget.  First thing to get confirmation on is the lounge seat.  Many people who are looking to buy their first hot tub (including us) feel they must have a lounge seat because lounging in the bath tub or recliner is so comfortable.

Lounge seats in a hot tub are a completely different beast - we have the Sundance Cameo (purchased used).  My wife said she really liked the lounge seat when we were wet testing new tubs.  Now that we have it, she's in my preferred corner seat more than I am, so my advise, decide on lounge or no lounge first then narrow the decision down to what you each like.  Lounge seats eat up nearly one half of your tub so be sure you really want one.

Another thing to consider, my wife will not run any of the Cameo seats wide open, she says they hurt but I like full force with no air.  She likes very little water and lots of air.  On some tubs, the diverter valves offer lots of flexibility, others may not be to your liking.  Wet testing is the only way to determine if the pressure is good enough for you, if the seat(s) are deep enough or too deep, if you float out of a seat, if there is enough pump power when all seats are running...etc.

We use our hot tub at night 90% of the time, the colder it is outside the better we enjoy it.  A clear, cold, starry night is perfect hot tub weather!  Windy nights are not bad either.  We get hot in our tub (runs at 102-104) and by raising out of the water and into the wind cools you down quickly for another 20 minute pump cycle.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:24:18 pm by twodogs02 »

bender338

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:48:47 am »
I think you should first decide on a budget, which it seems you have, and then start wet testing tubs in your budget.  First thing to get confirmation on is the lounge seat.  Many people who are looking to buy their first hot tub (including us) feel they must have a lounge seat because lounging in the bath tub or recliner is so comfortable.

Lounge seats in a hot tub are a completely different beast - we have the Sundance Cameo (purchased used).  My wife said she really liked the lounge seat when we were wet testing new tubs.  Now that we have it, she's in my preferred corner seat more than I am, so my advise, decide on lounge or no lounge first then narrow the decision down to what you each like.  Lounge seats eat up nearly one half of your tub so be sure you really want one.

Another thing to consider, my wife will not run any of the Cameo seats wide open, she says they hurt but I like full force with no air.  She likes very little water and lots of air.  On some tubs, the diverter valves offer lots of flexibility, others may not be to your liking.  Wet testing is the only way to determine if the pressure is good enough for you, if the seat(s) are deep enough or too deep, if you float out of a seat, if there is enough pump power when all seats are running...etc.

We use our hot tub at night 90% of the time, the colder it is outside the better we enjoy it.  A clear, cold, starry night is perfect hot tub weather!  Windy nights are not bad either.  We get hot in our tub (runs at 102-104) and by raising out of the water and into the wind cools you down quickly for another 20 minute pump cycle.

Great advice. My price range is 10-12k. I'm 6"4' and the lounge felt small to me, dry testing. I like the HotSpring as they are offering 0% for 40 month. Also, Im thinking of getting enclosed gazebo so I can use it in any weather.

The space is also not an issue, as I will be building a patio for the tub and gazebo. Maybe I should just go with the largest model they have, since I'm tall and it will give me extra room. Most of the time it will be me. My wife does not like it as of now. Hopefully will change when I purchase one. The price I got with salt for Vanguard is $13,142. Not sure if its a good price. Thanks for all your feedback. Cant wait to purchase one!

paulrubin3

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 12:15:31 pm »
Before the 40 months zero interest Hotspring has now, it was $1,000 off the tub and 25% off the ACE system, steps, cover lifter, etc. 40% off would have saved me more money over 40 months but I'd budgeted to buy outright and not chew up my credit score even with the zero percent. Either way, I suspect it's hard to decide everything you need to decide until you're living with the thing for awhile. I've never had a hot tub before so this is going to be a learning experience.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »
Before the 40 months zero interest Hotspring has now, it was $1,000 off the tub and 25% off the ACE system, steps, cover lifter, etc. 40% off would have saved me more money over 40 months but I'd budgeted to buy outright and not chew up my credit score even with the zero percent. Either way, I suspect it's hard to decide everything you need to decide until you're living with the thing for awhile. I've never had a hot tub before so this is going to be a learning experience.

"potentially"....this varies greatly among manufacturers and individual dealers but a lot of times prices are simply raised to account for the extra cost the retailer incurs when running those long term 0% finance offers, VERY common when Jacuzzi & Sundance run their long-term offers...as an example the Sundance dealer here quotes out an optima around 11k...funny thing is once the long-term interest rates come around it goes up to 12k so the consumer thinks they are getting a killer 0% rate at 3,4,5 years but really they are paying for it because it's built into the cost of the tub already

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42