What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calspa problem  (Read 8988 times)

JacuzziJack

Re: Calspa problem
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
Not sure exactly but a couple thoughts:

1) Still air in the pump (there should be a hose connection or an air bleed screw at the bottom of the pump you could try bleeding out

2) Broken or loose pump impeller?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »

Garretthes

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 09:36:27 pm »
I looseened both lines going to the pump and water poured out. Didn't here any air.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 09:49:56 am »
 It's almost gotta be like Jacuzzi Jack suggested, a broken impeller.   Doubt an airlock, as you said it was working then it just quit.   

At this point close the slice valves and remove one of the fittings and see if the impeller is still attached. 

JacuzziJack

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 12:59:38 pm »
The impellers are made of a fiber-plastic. Rust can build up where the motor shaft fits into the impeller, expand and crack the impeller shaft. It's not uncommon to see cracks where the impeller fits to the shaft. In your case it might be a lot harder to get to the pumps with the deck being where it is. Once removed, unscrew the pump halves, secure the back of the motor with a screwdriver and twist the impeller and see if it slips.

There are a lot of videos on pump repairing. Here's one (below link). Given the age of your pumps, it wouldn't be a bad idea if there's something you see wrong, that you consider putting in a new impeller/seal. Who knows how long before it starts to leak anyway? Then you'll probably never have to touch it. Usually ya have to break the impellers off anyway to replace the seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtPCjL7C-BA

Couple other things before you dig into the pump:
- Is there a way to check if something may have clogged the lines feeding that area of the tub? Is there a way to back flush using a hose into one of the jets to see if water flows out the other end (do it with pumps off).
- Are you sure that's the right diverter valve for the area with no water? (Just asking...)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:01:51 pm by JacuzziJack »

Garretthes

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 03:42:08 pm »
 :) :)
Thanks for the good info! That video was great and it is the same pump I have. My tub has been leaking for a while and I wonder if it is the o ring with the impeller. I will have to remove some of the deck to get down there and do this right. I did try back feeding down the diverter valve and water came out of the jets that aren't working. When I did this I noticed some trash that looked like tissue came out of the jets. How would that get in there?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 07:33:31 am »
I wonder if the impeller broke from the shaft?
Retired

Garretthes

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 12:59:03 pm »
OK so I took the pump out of the calspa and opened it up. Here are the pics. It doesn't look good. I think the shaft rusted through completely.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 01:34:02 pm »
I would say this is good news. Now you have identified the problem and can fix it.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 02:59:15 pm »
 Good lord was there a salt system on the spa that or someone wasn't keeping their PH/ALK in range.    :o

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 07:30:08 pm »
Good lord was there a salt system on the spa that or someone wasn't keeping their PH/ALK in range.    :o

Or is it 20 years old?
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56:59 pm »
 Was wondering a bit of the same.  I mean that is really corroded, never seen that before in a shaft/impeller.  Guessing you have over the years?

Garretthes

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »
We bought the house 14 months ago and I have kept the chemicals up to date since then. I have no idea what was done for the previous 10 years.

Garretthes

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 08:26:58 pm »
So I guess I have to replace the pump? Probably not a shaft repair option

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 07:07:05 am »
Yes, I have seen plenty just like that.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix anything. Replace is your best option. Pump and motor. Is the tub in good shape? What year is it?
Retired

Garretthes

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:38 am »
It's in good condition but it is over 11 years old. What else might need replacing?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42