What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calling all long-term Hot Spring spa owners  (Read 6932 times)

Cora5

Calling all long-term Hot Spring spa owners
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:16 am »
Hi all,

I recently attended a home show when I saw the Hot Spring highlife collection and fell in love with the Envoy NXT. These are beautiful spas. I am considering purchasing the Envoy NXT. I want to be sure that I'm making the right decision. I know that these are pricey, I don't have a problem with the up front cost for this. What I do have a problem with if this can turn into a maintenance nightmare.

1. Let me know your experience with maintenance issues.
2. Did you have any major issues with you spa after the warranty expired.
3. Would you purchase a Hot Spring spa again?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hot Tub Forum

Calling all long-term Hot Spring spa owners
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:16 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Calling all long-term Hot Spring spa owners
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:20:27 pm »
Hi all,

I recently attended a home show when I saw the Hot Spring highlife collection and fell in love with the Envoy NXT. These are beautiful spas. I am considering purchasing the Envoy NXT. I want to be sure that I'm making the right decision. I know that these are pricey, I don't have a problem with the up front cost for this. What I do have a problem with if this can turn into a maintenance nightmare.

1. Let me know your experience with maintenance issues.
2. Did you have any major issues with you spa after the warranty expired.
3. Would you purchase a Hot Spring spa again?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

I have not worked on one for a few years but there is a dealer here. That says a lot. Up here if you don't make a good product people won't buy it. And the winters are brutal. But the ones I have worked on, owned and disposed of over the last 20 years or so have all been long lasting with very little maintenance over the life expectancy 15-20 years. The oldest tub I ever disposed of was a HS. Good examples of longevity in a hot tubs. Very energy efficient. There's plenty I don't like about the brand but they are proven solid. Have you sat in it wet? Or even dry? Have you compared it to any others?
Retired

Cora5

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:04:44 pm »
I plan to do a wet test before purchasing. I haven't sat in it dry or wet.  I never thought of owning a hot tub ever. All the ones that I've seen are ugly. I know that I should try other brands before making a decision, but so far I haven't seen one that catches my eye like this brand.

I plan to get the wireless speakers and Ace system with the spa.  Let me know if you know of another brand that is comparable to the hot spring highlife collection.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »
As a long time competitor of a hot spring dealer I can tell you they make a great, long lasting spa. I don't mind losing out on deals to them as much as some of my other competitors because I know at the end of the day they make a great tub. I would add that the dealer is just as important as the tub. The only other tub that aesthetically looks similar would be the Caldera Utopia series. They are also made by Watkins. So if you are looking for something to compare the envoy too that would be a tub worth looking at. The particular Caldera to look at would be the Geneva. Happy shopping

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:16:17 pm »
I'm a dealer (disclaimer) and an owner of a Hot Spring Envoy w/ ACE.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  I assume you didn't seem me at the show, because I haven't gone to one in over a year, so nothing to lose on my part!  I sell Hot Spring, Caldera, Bullfrog, and Freeflow.  I've only owned HSS in my own backyard.  I just like them.

Had my new Envoy for about 2 years now with ACE, and it's been perfect.  No issues to report of.  I had an older 2004 Prodigy at one point, and never had an issue with that one, just the routine maintenance of replacing my filters.  Then I had a Vanguard before I went with the Envoy, but only had that for 3 years.  (I go through hot tubs faster then most.)

PM me if you like, and I can help answer any questions you may have via phone.  So much easier then typing.  That goes for any of the brands above.  Like Hot Tub guy said though, the Utopia series from Caldera is also visually stunning.

jjrichard

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 08:05:38 am »
AH! I'm new to hot tubs and have looked at bullfrog, master spa and hot spring. My head is spinning. I want to stay under 8K but looking for a lounger, and some great jets for my neck and back issues. HELP! Scared to pull the trigger and get a bad deal and unhappy with my purchase.

Thanks!

Cora5

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »
I'm a dealer (disclaimer) and an owner of a Hot Spring Envoy w/ ACE.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  I assume you didn't seem me at the show, because I haven't gone to one in over a year, so nothing to lose on my part!  I sell Hot Spring, Caldera, Bullfrog, and Freeflow.  I've only owned HSS in my own backyard.  I just like them.

Had my new Envoy for about 2 years now with ACE, and it's been perfect.  No issues to report of.  I had an older 2004 Prodigy at one point, and never had an issue with that one, just the routine maintenance of replacing my filters.  Then I had a Vanguard before I went with the Envoy, but only had that for 3 years.  (I go through hot tubs faster then most.)

PM me if you like, and I can help answer any questions you may have via phone.  So much easier then typing.  That goes for any of the brands above.  Like Hot Tub guy said though, the Utopia series from Caldera is also visually stunning.

Tell me about your experience with the Ace system.  I have read about complaints the Ace system where it didn't last past the two year mark and had to be replaced. This is a $700 dollar part that will have to be replaced by a hot tub professional. I see that Watkins only warrant this for one year. Which worries me as being problematic.

I do realize that it won't last for the lifetime of the spa. I gather from your post that the Hot Spring spas are reliable.  I just have this sinking feeling that hot tubs can be high maintenance and turn into a black hole that you're throwing your money into to maintain.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:44:35 pm »
Tell me about your experience with the Ace system.  I have read about complaints the Ace system where it didn't last past the two year mark and had to be replaced. This is a $700 dollar part that will have to be replaced by a hot tub professional. I see that Watkins only warrant this for one year. Which worries me as being problematic.

I do realize that it won't last for the lifetime of the spa. I gather from your post that the Hot Spring spas are reliable.  I just have this sinking feeling that hot tubs can be high maintenance and turn into a black hole that you're throwing your money into to maintain.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Happy to!

First, is ACE for everyone?  No.  Watkins wants us to take the ozone out when we install ACE.  I don't do that.  I still have the Silver Ion (Nature 2) cartridge installed, ozone, and ACE.  I keep my ACE setting at 3-4 all the time (It can go to 10.)  ACE cells fail due to the setting (time it's actually on) to high, or high calcium.  I find it more automated, and I hardly do anything to keep my water clear and smelling great.  Great example is the following:  I left for a week to go to a conference.  My wife used the hot tub every day while I was gone, and she does absolutely nothing to my hot tub, except use it.  If I was on a traditional water care system, no doubt that I would come back to not pristine water.  Also, because it requires so little hardness and use sodium chlorine, the water actually does feel silky soft.  Also, I replace my water every 11-12 months because of the salt system.

Now the negatives?  Cost.  That's it.  If you leave your output on level 10 or keep boosting, you can have your ACE cell die within about a year and a half.  It has a finite life of roughly 14,000 hours.  Output level 10 is 23 hours a day --> 23 hours a day for a year is 8,395 hours.  People just leave it high because they don't know any better.  (this is why Watkins only warrants it a year, because it can die due to no faults just through normal use in a year and a half.)

Even if you replace it every 3 years, which is what I am anticipating (hopefully 4 years) I don't believe ACE is less expensive than any other system out there, other than maybe Silk Balance which is an arm and a leg.  To me it's value, and what is important to you.  I personally love it, and so does my wife.  In fact, she has used this hot tub more than any other one, and I think the only reason why is because she likes the feeling, that is worth it to me.

The other thing is, you can try your spa without the salt system first.  It is ridiculously easy to install for a tech, or even yourself.  To replace the cell (say 2-3-4 years down the road) would require 10 minutes of your time max.  No need for a professional, unless you are super scared of the spiders that may be loving your warm equipment cabinet  ;)

bud16415

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:02:14 pm »
My friend had a conventional tub he switched to a salt chlorine generator system. He bought the Saltron Mini for about $170. had it hooked up and working in ten minutes as he already had a GFIC outlet a few feet from his tub.

It has a built in timer and with just him and his wife it is set to run 2 hours per day. If he has company he hits the override button and adds a couple hours. His water is just as described above silky smooth. He still looks at his other levels and tweaks for PH and such but his sanitation is always perfect. He said the same thing he can get a year out of his water if he wanted to but he dumps it every 6 months. He has had his about 4 years now.

My plan is to still switch to salt and I will get the same aftermarket unit. The anode is the only part that’s likely to wear out and it can be replaced.

The only thing you have to do with these is when you open the tub you take the anode out and put it in a holder next to the unit and before you close it you toss it in the tub. Fairly simple. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
AH! I'm new to hot tubs and have looked at bullfrog, master spa and hot spring. My head is spinning. I want to stay under 8K but looking for a lounger, and some great jets for my neck and back issues. HELP! Scared to pull the trigger and get a bad deal and unhappy with my purchase.

Thanks!

There has to be one in the BF or HS lines that is close to 8 with the feel you like. Master would not be included compared to those others IMO. Look inside all three of those to understand. Take your time. We will help you get a good deal.

Maybe start your own thread?
Retired

Cora5

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 09:42:20 pm »
Question for the dealers here that are familiar with the hot spring spas.  I am considering the blue tooth speakers for the Envoy NXT hot tub. Do you know if the speakers are exposed to water when lowered inside the tub? I know that they are water proof, but I would think the lifespan on these would deteriorate if exposed to water every time they are inside the unit.

Cora5

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 09:42:39 am »
Question for the dealers here that are familiar with the hot spring spas.  I am considering the blue tooth speakers for the Envoy NXT hot tub. Do you know if the speakers are exposed to water when lowered inside the tub? I know that they are water proof, but I would think the lifespan on these would deteriorate if exposed to water every time they are inside the unit.

I posted late in the evening, obviously I wasn't thinking clearly at all.  Never mind.  :o

n.one.one

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 03:52:34 pm »
If you leave your output on level 10 or keep boosting, you can have your ACE cell die within about a year and a half.  It has a finite life of roughly 14,000 hours.  Output level 10 is 23 hours a day --> 23 hours a day for a year is 8,395 hours.
Do you (or does anyone) know what the full range of ACE output settings equate to in hours of use per day? I'd like to calculate what a setting of 6 (or 3 etc.) means in the terms of the approximate life of the ACE cell.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
If you leave your output on level 10 or keep boosting, you can have your ACE cell die within about a year and a half.  It has a finite life of roughly 14,000 hours.  Output level 10 is 23 hours a day --> 23 hours a day for a year is 8,395 hours.
Do you (or does anyone) know what the full range of ACE output settings equate to in hours of use per day? I'd like to calculate what a setting of 6 (or 3 etc.) means in the terms of the approximate life of the ACE cell.

Although that could help 'extend' the life of the cell, you still need to set the ACE system based on bather load to maintain an appropriate amount of sanitizer in the water so if you have kids and/or a high bather load it's a moot point.  The cell is rated for approx. 16-19 months of usage and carries a 1 year warranty so if you can manage 2 years out if I would consider it a success and that is based on printed specifications as well as my experience of selling the ACE from 2009-2014...Good Luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42