What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Paver Slope  (Read 4514 times)

grasshopper

Paver Slope
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:07:54 pm »
My pavers and spa were all done today.  I noticed a slope in the spa (w/o water).  I checked the paver and I have a 1.5" slope over 5' 6".
My spa is 8x8.  Will this be a big deal?

Hot Tub Forum

Paver Slope
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:07:54 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Paver Slope
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:04 am »
 Could be, what side is the filter intake on the high side or low side?

grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:22:59 am »
high side

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:35 am »
high side

Is it too late to rotate that to put the filter on the low side if that is possible?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:02:09 am »
no but that would make the sitting /control panels awkward spot - short story

Beck0101

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:56:08 am »
The Bullfrog manual suggests not more than 1/2" slope over 8'0".  1.5" sounds excessive, even for drainage.  Did you pay to have the pavers installed?  If so I'd ask them to adjust/correct.

You're definitely going to notice that much slope when in the tub.  You'll have a wildly uneven scum line!

I imagine the real concern would potentially be the weight of the water and weather or not the tub can support the loads properly at an angle.  I imagine the difference in loading on the side of the tub will be marginal but you can bet the manufacturer will challenge any warranty claims you might have in the future if you have any stress cracking or other structural issues (assuming this is a new tub).

If it's too late to correct the paver I'd look into full-length shims.  You've invested this much time and money, you might as well do it correctly.

grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 02:00:42 pm »
Yes we paid for pavers to be installed by the spa company.  They tried to come out to today and level spa by adding thinner pavers under spa.  They did it all the way across the bottom of spa, BUT at the end of the low end the pavers do not touch that side. Meaning i can pull the pavers out with my hands, so approximately 1/2" - 3/4" gap between bottom and end leveling pavers.  I've been told to fill spa and the pan of Bullfrog A8 will conform. 

39lasalle

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 02:14:58 pm »
I would definitely not fill with water unless i had that statement in writing and i still dont think i would fill it. I also dont think the pan "works" that way.  Also, i thought i read in the manual or online about the pan and where to lift.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:25:53 pm by 39lasalle »

Beck0101

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
I can't believe they told you to fill it with significant gaps underneath in places.  Like the prior poster said - get it in writing.  I'd also take lots and lots and lots of pictures.  And shoot, while you're at it you may want to call Bullfrog directly.  If/when you have an issue with your tub it's going to likely fall on the dealer and not Bullfrog if their advising you to install it in this manner.  I'd be shocked if you didn't break something immediately upon filling with gaps approaching 3/4" underneath.

Wow...what a bummer of a way to kick off new tub ownership.

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 10:47:37 am »
Can you explain the exact procedure the installers used in setting the paving blocks. For example was the area lawn where they set the tub. Did they remove 6 inches of soil and put I a base of compacted material? Did they build up any sort of wooden frame around the base to contain the pavers as it sounds like the area was not level? Did they bring in a machine to tamp the fill or use a handheld manual plate tamper? How did they run the power to the tub? Underground? How deep? In conduit?

Do not fill the tub? Talk directly to the owner of the pool store or the top guy at that location? Invite him or her out to view the install. If you don’t get help from them contact the maker of the tub. If all else fails you will have to DIY or hire a competent company to come out and build the base and set the tub. There is nothing wrong with the tub that you know of it is all in the install. Don’t except anything but perfect. 

Very sorry to hear of your troubles.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 02:52:56 pm »
Have them make it a solid throughout, level surface within an inch.  I went through this exact scenario 2 days ago, my crew texted me a picture of a "temporary base" that was comprised of 5 patio stones, I immediately told them to leave the spa on the trailer and head back even though I assumed the customer may get a little upset by delaying his delivery (which it turns out in this case he wasn't at all, simply had to call his GC who was working on the house and is going to have him build a solid temporary pad for him). Point is the poster above is correct, consult your dealer, show pics if need be. Don't risk a cracked shell along with a voided warranty...good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 02:52:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42