What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS or Dichlor after each use?  (Read 12541 times)

Calisoldier83

MPS or Dichlor after each use?
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to keep my chlorine levels balanced. My hot tub came with MPS and Dichlor. This weekend I added 3 tablespoons of Dichlor after my strips weren't registering chlorine. I added it and it seemed to get me back on the chart.

I've only had the tub since last Friday, and when the tub arrived it stated to add a tablespoon of Dichlor after each use.

My salesman recommends adding MPS before or after each use instead of Dichlor. Then, shocking with Chlorine once a week (2 tablespoons).

I do have a Silver Ion cartridge and I think that's supposed to do the sanitizing in this case.

I have a family of 5 that all got in yesterday. I just did the MPS as recommended, however, the reading was a light purple this morning, so I added a tsp, which didn't seem to help because I did another reading tonight and chlorine was non-existent. So I added 2 and 1/2 tablespoons of Dichlor right now.

Any help would be great. I have the Taylor K-2006 which got delivered today so that should help me with getting my chemical balance in check.

Should I be using Diclore after each use instead of the MPS, or both, or some other combo?

I'm thinking if all 5 of us. 3 children (12, 4, and 1 years old) and 2 adults that the Dichlor will be mandatory after use. Otherwise if it's just the adults we can try with the MPS regime as suggested. I'm wondering if you all have similar situation. this is 450 gal tub.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:17:35 am by Calisoldier83 »

Hot Tub Forum

MPS or Dichlor after each use?
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:37:33 pm »

MarKee

Re: MPS or Dichlor after each use?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:01:08 am »
It can be done either way, I prefer using dichlor after each use, or better would be a floating system such as the @Ease SmartChlor/Mineral system.  Shocking after each use can work but you always want to leave the cover off for 20-30 minutes after shocking, this may become a chore if you want to get out and close up the hot tub.  You also want to leave the cover off for a little bit when adding dichlor, but not quite as important as when you shock it in my opinion.  If you can use a floating system such as the @Ease it will make it so you won't have to sit around and wait t close the cover after adding chemicals.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:34:38 am »
I've been blindly following the same regiment for 13 years now and it seems to work, my tub stays clean and I get 3-4 months of heavy use out of my tub.  I only use the MPS once a week. I was always told it adds the total dissolved solids in your tub much quicker than dichlor.   TSD has always been my guide on when to change the water as my water can look clear when the jets aren't running up to 6 months.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Water Boy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:09:05 am »
The Nature two directions read that you can do it either way. What I have always personally done is MPS after each use, and add chlorine to the water about every 5-7 days. I use the spa daily, so MPS goes in daily, and then chlorine almost weekly. I have found that the older in my water cycle (about 3 months), the chlorine doesn't hold as long, and I have to up the chlorine dosage the last month or so. That is the system I set my customers up with as well, and it seems to work great here.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Water Boy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:52:19 am »
It can be done either way, I prefer using dichlor after each use, or better would be a floating system such as the @Ease SmartChlor/Mineral system.  Shocking after each use can work but you always want to leave the cover off for 20-30 minutes after shocking, this may become a chore if you want to get out and close up the hot tub.  You also want to leave the cover off for a little bit when adding dichlor, but not quite as important as when you shock it in my opinion.  If you can use a floating system such as the @Ease it will make it so you won't have to sit around and wait t close the cover after adding chemicals.
Sorry for my ignorance on the system Markee, but wouldnt it be harded on the inside of the cover after adding dichlor than it would be after adding MPS. Diclor, granular chlorine vs a non chlorine shock? I have always been told to leave the cover off for a good 20 minutes after adding diclor, but not so much when adding MPS???

Spiderman

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:02 pm »
We only use dichlor.  You have to experiment with it to see how much you should be adding after each use.  Depending on the size of your tub and number of people using the tub, you'll probably add 1-2 TBS after each use if used daily.  Check it the next day prior to use and see where your levels are at and then add or subtract the amount you add next time.  Shock once per week using 2 times the amount of daily dichlor. 

We have been doing this for 10 years now with no issues.  The nice thing about this is that you add the dichlor after you get out, then it sanitizes the tub and by re-entry the next day, most of it has been used so you're not sitting in a big bath of chlorine soup.  I know manufacturers will recommend at least 3ppm before entry, but we don't enjoy sitting in chlorine. 

I've also realized that hot tub water is like leftovers in the fridge.  Do the smell test.  I can tell if my water isn't getting enough chlorine just by smelling it. 
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:12:45 pm »
The only thing I'd add to this is what is your goal?  The main point of Nature 2 is to use a less-harsh chemical to sanitize.  In my own words, N2 is a "passive" sanitizer, keeping the water clean when you are not in it.  When you introduce the human element into it, the "active" sanitizer helps compensate.

Dichlor is fine, but it will have more of a "chemical-y" smell vs, MPS which will also be softer on the skin.

To me- That is the major factor in which way you go.

Furthermore- If you go Dichlor, you really don't need the N2 cartridge.  It doesn't hurt, but I just don't see the need for the extra expense.

Just something to consider.  Everyone here has given solid advice so you're in good hands.  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38:09 pm »
The only thing I'd add to this is what is your goal?  The main point of Nature 2 is to use a less-harsh chemical to sanitize.  In my own words, N2 is a "passive" sanitizer, keeping the water clean when you are not in it.  When you introduce the human element into it, the "active" sanitizer helps compensate.

Dichlor is fine, but it will have more of a "chemical-y" smell vs, MPS which will also be softer on the skin.

To me- That is the major factor in which way you go.

Furthermore- If you go Dichlor, you really don't need the N2 cartridge.  It doesn't hurt, but I just don't see the need for the extra expense.

Just something to consider.  Everyone here has given solid advice so you're in good hands.  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

That is how I have always viewed it. If you are adding chlorine after each use, then what is the point of using a Nature 2 stick? I always thought it was to get away from chlorine usage.

mpkelley20

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:14 pm »
If done right, and you don't mind daily maintenance, adding dichlor after you use it each day/night will sanitize the tub perfectly.  By the next day when you go in it, the chlorine levels will be so low that you will be soaking in mostly chemical free water.  Repeat the dichlor after you soak and etc....

The one thing you may need to keep in mind is that dichlor is stabilized chlorine and that stabilizer builds up over time.  If you continue to use it, you may need to adjust how much you use as it won't be as effective due to the extra stabilizer.  The workaround is switching to bleach (household basic unscented chlorox) once the stabilizer levels are around 30 to 50ppm.  This will do the same thing as dichlor but it does not add stabilizer.

Yes, it may be "harder" to add a liquid over a powder....but...unless you are the clumsiest person on the planet....

This method is used by hard core pool and spa geeks and does NOT have any impact on your spa as long as your water is properly balanced.  Plus, it is far cheaper than dichlor or MPS.  And I was told by my dealer that it does NOT void your warranty.  At least not on my brand tub.

MarKee

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 01:57:27 am »
Water Boy-dichlor is probably almost as bad on the cover, pillows, etc as shock, so I would recommend leaving the cover off after using it as well.  Most customers I see are using bromine and if they ever complain about pillows going bad or decals on the control panel or other parts of the spa wearing, I always ask "do you leave the cover of when you shock?" and they always say "no one told us that".  I'm convinced MPS shock is harmful if the cover is not left off for 20+ minutes.  If you're shocking after each use you're probably only adding an ounce, so maybe it's not as bad as the 3-4 ounce weekly shock that we would recommend when using bromine.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 07:19:26 pm »
Water Boy-dichlor is probably almost as bad on the cover, pillows, etc as shock, so I would recommend leaving the cover off after using it as well.  Most customers I see are using bromine and if they ever complain about pillows going bad or decals on the control panel or other parts of the spa wearing, I always ask "do you leave the cover of when you shock?" and they always say "no one told us that".  I'm convinced MPS shock is harmful if the cover is not left off for 20+ minutes.  If you're shocking after each use you're probably only adding an ounce, so maybe it's not as bad as the 3-4 ounce weekly shock that we would recommend when using bromine.

I've been switching All my customers that use spa frog to @ease. Been working great with minimal shocking. I even started using it in my own spa. Having much better results then with the bromine frog system

mpkelley20

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 08:04:23 am »

I've been switching All my customers that use spa frog to @ease. Been working great with minimal shocking. I even started using it in my own spa. Having much better results then with the bromine frog system

I haven't tried the cartridge I got from you yet.  Might be travelling end of the month so that will be the first test. 

Also, that Insparation (or however you spell it) scented oil worked far better than the salts.  The smell was very noticeable (pleasant) and I could even smell traces of it the next day.  I'll pick some more up from you next time I am in the store.  Good stuff!

bud16415

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »
Just a couple thought. I do the dichlor switching to chlorox / bleach when the stabilizer gets where I want it, adding it after we get out turn on the clean cycle and go in the house dry off change and close the tub. If it is 20 minutes great. That’s maybe 50 weeks out of the year. If we are going away my Caldera tub has the frog system and I drop in a @ease to cover when we are gone. I wouldn’t mind using it all year except for cost and it doesn’t adjust the amount based on usage. In fact I posted a thread here on I open the cartridge dump out the @ease and if we are going away for a week I put about 1/3 of it in. I know cheapskate lol. but really as soon as we get back I want to go back to testing and dosing. And pulling the cartage it can’t be reused.

Here is what I have found and will apply I think to the OP. You can’t judge your amounts off of anyone else and your amounts with 3 kids and two adults with swimming suits is going to be up and down all the time. We are just the two of us 90% of the time we shower and get in the tub and stay in between 30 -60 minutes. I don’t even need to test most of the time I know exactly what to expect. A couple weeks ago we had a family party and about 6 different people were in and out of the tub a couple times and who knows how rinsed out swimming suits were etc. That night I hit it pretty hard and the next morning it was flat and I hit it again. Usage plays a big part IMO.   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »
Yes, the first time this was mentioned. The more dichlor you use the sooner you SHOULD switch to straight bleach once your cyunaric (spelling) acid level tops out.

Good catch bud16415
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42