What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric Cost to Maintain Tub  (Read 16116 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Electric Cost to Maintain Tub
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 01:24:27 pm »
Zztop said:
"Coleman's (MAXX) steel frame is an excellent idea.  Much better than other manufacturers using steel."

Zz,
I know it's an election year and there is much mudslinging about but........

Name the manufacturers to which you refer and explain yourself instead of just spewing comments like that.

Sheesh, the politicians already make it murky enough......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 01:24:27 pm »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 02:41:45 pm »
Good lord, spahappy!

I know that hot air is a hallmark of the thermopane design, but I didn't know it was also a characteristic of the people who support it!

Just some gentle kidding on seeing, like, 7 posts in a row. 8)

-Ed
Iuote]

Well I'm a woman who talks for a living, sorry about getting so gabby. I'll try to ration my posts over a longer time span,( if I can )
I used to say my mouth is how I made my living, but that just was never taken the right way!
Spahappy

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 03:11:31 pm »
For as long as you've been in this business you should remember that Coleman started making their spas right from the start with thermolock insulation. This was well over a decade before MAAX purchased the spa division from Coleman.
True. I sold them back in the 80's right after they purchased California Cooperage and put the Coleman name on them.

Since you stated yourself that the cost to run per month is roughly the same, why the jabs at Coleman?
I must apologize that you took it that way. I din't mean to jab at anybody. If you will kindly reread my first post, which is the second post in this thread, you will see that I told the shopper to stick with a major name brand (Coleman IS a name-brand).

Didn't you just say that a spa is all about family time and how it will make you sleep better and feel better and improve your life and just pick the color and buy it.
I said it, and I meant it.

Don't we all agree the wet test is the most important step in purchasing a spa?
Yes! I couldn't have said it better - I agree 100%

I've never said a negative thing about Hotsprings, no matter how I feel about them, or any other brand by the way!!! Not even Haven!
Thanks. As I said, I was not taking a jab at Coleman - the stuff about the coolers was meant in fun - I sometimes forget how sensitive people are about this topic.  The coolers work, and the spas work. I really believe that any good insulation system will work - Coleman puts enough foam on the back of thier tubs to just about qualify as full foam, and yet they still add more to the cabinet. The two systems work great in tandem: the hot air adds to the foam. It works.

I feel for new spa shoppers like Constance. How they must veiw the salesmen and saleswomen in this business. It's no wonder she's fed up with spa shopping.

Hang in there Constance! Do yourself a favor and wet test any spa you're interested in. When you find the right one, and your sitting in it in your yard, this will all be a distant memory.

Spahappy

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2004, 06:36:05 pm »
WOW GUYS!!!  I didn't mean to create such a fuss!!  I am just a confused first-time spa shopper!!  One salemans says the cost to operate a thermopane spa like his Phoenix is the same costs as any full foam.  Another saleman sells Sweetwater, Jacuzzi, Sundance and I forget the brand with the thermopane, says it cost twice as much to heat the thermopane.  And the other salesman with the Tigerriver, Hot Springs and Dynasty says the thermopane costs about $10 or more per month extra for the thermopane.
I just needed some input, and thanks to all of you!!  It's been interesting!!  Your postings made me search for a Coleman dealer.  I found one in Lima, Ohio about 30 miles away.  I plan on checking them out.  I'm going to start wet-testing hopfully this week.  My concern is on the Phoenix spa.  The price for the amount of jets makes it look like a great value.  It runs about $800 to $1200 cheaper than other brand with similar features and size.  The dealership has an excellent repretation in the community, but they do not have any tubs filled to wet test.  The salesman said it is not necessary.  My hairdresser has one that I may be able to test.  I've gathered that the Phoenix brand is not popular with many people on this site.  
Concern 2:  What about the dried critters in the thermopane tubs???  I live in the country, and am concerned about animals getting into the bottom as the tub will set on my deck.  Aren't these things sealed so that animals can't get into them???  Could they chew into the bottoms of the tubs?
Concern 3:  Is it best to have a 24 hr circulation pump or have the tub run for a time a few times a day?  One salesman said that the 24 hr pumps are not usually covered under the warrentee and are expensive--$200 to replace and so wear out quickly.

I greatly appreciate all of your input!!!
Connie ::)   ???    8)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2004, 07:09:02 pm »
Hi Connie,

With these salesman, all you need to do is ask for proof and not salesmanship. If they have proof to back up  their statements then great. If not, they're talking out of their a$$es. Demand it if they start "dissing" another brand or designs.

All major brands are very close in operating costs regardless of insulation design. There might be a $3-5 month difference but I'm guessing if you have $6-10,000 in disposable income for a new hot tub, that doesn't play much of a factor.

You are getting way off track with your priorities IMO.

You can decide the order these should be in but these are the main factors...

Comfort for the whole family
Therapy - specific to YOUR needs
Low maintenance
Energy efficiency (under a buck a day to operate)
Dealer reputation & service history
Value

Steve

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004, 07:14:17 pm »
WOW GUYS!!!  I didn't mean to create such a fuss!!  I am just a confused first-time spa shopper!!  
Don't worry, everyone needs a hobby!!
One salemans says

Good name for a rock band, but the fact remains that most brand-name tubs end up running about the same. Now - if you get a tub with huge jet pumps and run them a lot, you'll pay a few bucks per month more. The only real energy hogs are the home-center cheapies that have virtually NO insulation.
The dealership has an excellent repretation in the community, but they do not have any tubs filled to wet test.  The salesman said it is not necessary.

For whom? Him? Tell him it's a 'must' for you.
My hairdresser has one that I may be able to test.
This can be a great way to get a nice test soak. And a rinse.

Concern 2:  What about the dried critters in the thermopane tubs???  I live in the country, and am concerned about animals getting into the bottom as the tub will set on my deck.  Aren't these things sealed so that animals can't get into them???  Could they chew into the bottoms of the tubs?

Some tubs are better sealed than others. Check with the dealer - and ask to see the bottom of a spa. HotSpring has a very hard shell sealing the bottom of the tubs, other brands have plastic sheeting, even fiberglass.
Concern 3:  Is it best to have a 24 hr circulation pump or have the tub run for a time a few times a day?  

There are good spas that have circ pumps, and good spas that don't. I like them because they are silent, keep the water in motion all over, most also filter as an added benefit, and often they are set up with ozone systems which can then put ozone into the tub on a 24 hour basis. Very nice.
they One salesman said that the 24 hr pumps are not usually covered under the warrentee and are expensive--$200 to replace and so wear out quickly.
That is an error. Go to a HotSpring dealership and get a full and complete copy of the warranty. Or download it off the 'net. The circ pump is covered fully for five years, parts and labor. Most of the major brand-name tubs are the same.
I greatly appreciate all of your input!!!
Connie ::)   ???    8)

No charge.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 07:21:24 pm »
...but they do not have any tubs filled to wet test.  The salesman said it is not necessary.
In general I agree with Salesmen who say this...

Right he is! - it is not necessary... simply because I wouldn't be interested in a dealer that tells me it's not necessary to wet test a spa.  Unless I want to use it as a planter box. How could it not be necessary if you want to know what you are buying. What? you want to try on those shoes before you buy and can't return them...
???

I would say thanks for the info and head on down to the dealers that think wet testing is necessary.
e

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 09:58:21 am »
Connie
Don't worry about the critters getting in a Coleman spa! I'll try and post a picture of our solid ABS pan bottom which  bolts to our galvalume steel frame.

Coleman seals their cabinet to keep the equipment heat in, therefor you'll see, there isn't an area for mice snakes wasps ants or any other vermon the gain access to, and move in.

Take care and let me know if you have any questions on Coleman spas. Good luck on your wet test!!!

Spahappy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 11:56:48 am by spahappy »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 10:24:12 am »
Well I'm a woman who talks for a living,

It seems like they all do!!  ::)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

txwillie

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 05:42:37 pm »
Are there any concerns with thermopane designs keeping heat inside the cabinets and cooking motors, etc. in a hot summer climate like Dallas?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2004, 08:46:16 am »
Are there any concerns with thermopane designs keeping heat inside the cabinets and cooking motors, etc. in a hot summer climate like Dallas?

I would think that the thermopane design may be more suited to helping keep motors cooler in hot climates.  My LSX has 6 vents in the cabinets to help disperse heat plus the motors' (3 therapy, 1 circ) locations are spaced around the tub.  I'm not sure about the full foam tubs but I think most have an equipment bay for all pumps that could warm up significantly in warmer climates (full foamers, please correct, if wrong.)  Anyway, with Master Spas I had the choice of FF or TP.  I felt TP would suit my Florida environment better.  But I wouldn't let the FF/TP controversy drive my decision--either should be fine.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 10:39:40 am »
Our full foam spa has an equipment bay, but it is on the outside of the foam.
I don't believe that I have excess heat buildup in the cabinet due to the way it's foamed, but I live in the Minneapolis burbs, so we really don't have the hot issue, we have to worry about really cold winters instead!

I do not want to create another spa insulation holy war, but....
If a thermopane spa has vents in the cabinet to let out heat, what would happen in the winter?  Wouldn't you want to keep that heat in?  Just curious.

Brewman
Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 12:42:52 pm »
Wanna bet? Jacuzzi and Sundance (I can't speak to hotspring) have on their circuit board a "summer mode." Because the heat within your component bay is SO hot, the circulation pump automaticaly shuts down. They claim that this is so that the circ pump doesn't transfer heat into the water making it hard to keep the temp down. Well if that little 1/20th HP motor can create enough heat to over heat the water, imagine how hot it is in the equipment area! :o

Our full foam spa has an equipment bay, but it is on the outside of the foam.
I don't believe that I have excess heat buildup in the cabinet due to the way it's foamed, but I live in the Minneapolis burbs, so we really don't have the hot issue, we have to worry about really cold winters instead!

I do not want to create another spa insulation holy war, but....
If a thermopane spa has vents in the cabinet to let out heat, what would happen in the winter?  Wouldn't you want to keep that heat in?  Just curious.

Brewman

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 12:50:26 pm »
Good point.  Now you went and got me curious.    I think I'll do a temperature check expriment this weekend, and see exactly how warm it gets in there.

Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 01:03:08 pm »

But I wouldn't let the FF/TP controversy drive my decision--either should be fine.

As much as that argument comes up on this and other boards, that may be the best statement to make.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 01:03:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42