What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Adding shock and dichor  (Read 2273 times)

ridge

Adding shock and dichor
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »
Can I add non chorine shock and dichlor at the same time? That way I can use it sooner afterwards. I have used it higher than 5 (8) but it didn't bother me but I am trying to keep it between 3-5. I shocked it once with dichlor once to 12 and it took forever to come down

Hot Tub Forum

Adding shock and dichor
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Adding shock and dichor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:59:53 am »
If chlorine is your main sanitizer, you may want to switch up the routine and add it *after* using the spa.  Test prior to getting in and adjust your dosage as necessary.  This completely eliminates the situation that prompted your question.

Hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:38 am »
If chlorine is your main sanitizer, you may want to switch up the routine and add it *after* using the spa.  Test prior to getting in and adjust your dosage as necessary.  This completely eliminates the situation that prompted your question.

Hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

I agree completely, this is what I have been doing fo r about 10 years now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mpkelley20

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:30 am »
I'm 4 days into converting my tub from bromine (through the spa frog system) to chlorine (dichlor and eventually bleach).  So far, it has been working out great where I go in at night where the chlorine is barely readable on a test and then I add a tsp or so of dichlor after I get out which brings it to around 4-5ppm. By the next night, it is back down to 1-2 range (maybe even a tad lower). 

Time will tell how this will work out as I use it.  I did purge my tub with ahh some before switching over to chlorine.  The tub wasn't actually that bad as I didn't get much biofilm residue that was noticeable.  Nothing like the youtube videos I watched!

The one thing that will not be fun is maintaining chlorine levels over the extreme cold winter when I may not be able to get out to the tub everyday.  I know I can get a chlorine cartridge for my spa frog and/or add something to the filter area (my dealer mentioned something about  a stick that holds dichlor that goes into the filter) so I will need to figure that out.  But it is nice to soak in a tub that has little to no chlorine smell.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42