What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals Question  (Read 3448 times)

Starman

Chemicals Question
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:21:43 pm »
The hot tub I ordered has both UV and OZone. The dealer indicates 1/2 tsp of Chlorine after each use for each 2 people is adequate and that it only needs Spa Marvel and no shocking.

Let me know what you think experts?

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals Question
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:21:43 pm »

mpkelley20

Re: Chemicals Question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:06:43 pm »
I'm weary of anything other than traditional sanitizers like chlorine/bromine.  I know that ozonators and UV can deal with some things but, frankly, if one wants to destroy all hazardous material, bleach (chlorine) is always used.  At least that is what I always see on TV shows.  LOL!

The suggestion of adding chlorine after each use is pretty common.  The idea is that the chlorine will sanitize whatever contaminates you brought into the tub (along with the UV and ozonator).  By the time you take your next soak, the chlorine will have been used up and you will be in mostly chemical free water. 

I don't know anything about Spa Marvel other than it is marketed as a non chlorine alternative.  Again, to me, that means it doesn't work as well.  I could be wrong.

Anyway, yes, the adding chlorine after each soak along with the UV and ozonator should be fine but you probably want to get some stabilizer in the water to help maintain the chlorine breakdown a bit.  Using dichlor for a while will get the stabilizer levels up and then you can switch to a non-stabilized source of chlorine like household bleach.  You should monitor the stabilizer level because if that gets too high, it makes the chlorine less effective.  You may also need some PH and Alkalinity adjusters such as soda ash (baking soda) and sodium borate (Borax). 

I would look to shock it from time to time, especially after heavy use.  Bleach/dichlor can be used.

It is not hard to maintain your chemicals.  There are a number of ways to do it than can cost very little to very expensive.  I maintain an inground pool using the above chlorine method but haven't quite adopted that yet with my tub as I have the spa frog system which has ben working well.  I will probably make the switch after my first tub drain.

Don't forget a good test kit.  Google Taylor test kits. 

mpkelley20

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:09:13 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 05:00:04 pm »
In water chemistry- there are 3 things that are most important:  pH, alkalinity, and a sanitizer.  Everything else is ancillary, and to varying degrees.

Those 3 things are of equal importance:  Mismanagement of pH and alkalinity causes metals to corrode (jets, heating elements) and that is likely not under warranty.  It also reduces the effectiveness of your sanitizer.  Your saniziter keeps your water clear and free of algae/bacteria.

Ozone (You said both UV and Ozone but I have to assume you have a UV-based ozonator, as compared to a CD ozonator) generally only kills up to 20% bacteria.  So you still need a sanitizer.  Plus- Most UV ozonators give out after a year or so, unbeknownst to the user.

Stay way from blanket statements when it comes to sanitizers, when referring to dosage.  That is lazy explaining.  Think of it like this: How often do you need to buy groceries? 

How loaded is that question?  You cannot answer w/o knowing how many you are cooking for, how many days, and how many meals/day. 

ONLY if you use the spa the exactly the same each time can you say unequivocally that you use "X" and that is all that is needed to be known.  The amount of sanitizer is based on how many people are in the spa, how long its used each usage, and how many times a day/days a week.  If there is variation to usage habits, you may need more or less sanitizer to be added.

Best bet is to test your spa 2-3 times a week and adjust your sanitizer as necessary.  I sell Chlorine, Bromine, Nature II and @ease by King Technology (Spa Frog).  They all work well if you know what you're doing.  They all have pros and cons.  I'll leave it to others to promote a sanitizer as I can work with any of them.

Keep pH, alkalinity and sanitizer levels in line at all times.  If you need something to control metals, foam, etc. buy it if that is a problem.  But if it isn't a problem yet it may never be a problem so why buy something?  Non-chlorine shock may be necessary if you have heavy usage.  Metal removers may be needed if you have very hard water.  The point is:  Keep the important things monitored and if other things require additional chemicals, cross that bridge when you get to it.

Hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

[Edit:  Clarification]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:03:35 pm by The Wizard of Spas »

Starman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »
Thank for all of your responses it is a CD Ozonator BTW.

Because it has both Ozone and UV They have sort of  of a formula which will or will not be born out by usage add 1/2 Tsp chlorine  per every 2  persons to the spa after each usage and use spa marvel about once a month(I have not yet seen the instruction for that product yet) that's it, he said it does not need any MSP shock etc.
 testing will either bear this lout or not I guess

mpkelley20

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »
I'm sticking to what I previously stated as did wizard of spas. That spa marvel stuff is expensive and absolutely not needed. It's probably sold by your spa store so it's a way for them to make money. I have a neighbor that has a shelf full of useless products for his pool because he was told he needed them. After he read a few things about water chemistry, he's dropped down to chlorine and baking sofa. A lot cheaper!

So skip the marvel stuff. Get some dichlor, alkalinity up (baking soda) and some ph control. And again, get a good test kit. Skip the strips and go for a quality drop tester from Taylor. As wizard said, test a few times a week and you will learn the chemistry based on your usage.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42