What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help in selecting best spa for the money  (Read 9360 times)

Eau Claire buyer

Help in selecting best spa for the money
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
Hello, I am 6'4 250 lbs and want an outdoor spa that is efficient in WI winters.  I have enjoyed Sundance, and hot spring in the past, but also have purchased a cheap spa online that was a headache.
I have seen that buyers in the past weeks have been able to purchase a Marquis Euphoria for $9000 including  stairs, cover, lifter and chemicals, but the best price I have found in my area was $10,195 for a new 2016. 
I like the idea of a super reliable spa with strong pressure massage.  I got a high quote today for a Sundance  Cameo, or optima for the same price at $11,113.   I spoke to a bullfrog dealer in St Paul MN today, to see if I could match the outstanding offer of a R* for $7394, and he told me he would be $2000 higher.
Any advice on how to find a great value is appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Help in selecting best spa for the money
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Help in selecting best spa for the money
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:55:48 pm »
Even at $10,200 that's a really good buy on that euphoria. If that's more then you are looking to spend check out the vector 94 from Marquis. It is my best selling Marquis tub and my customers love them. The bullfrog price that the other poster in here got is ridiculously low as in so low most dealers would lose money doing that deal

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:47:35 pm »
Eau Claire, Thanks for calling up and chatting with me today, sorry we can't come together on an R8 but of course the offer still stands if you'd like to swing in I'd be more than happy to educate you on some of our options and/or wet test a few spas if you'd like.  If you are more comfortable doing business in your area I understand that as well and would wish you good luck on your search!

-Eric

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 05:18:14 pm »
$10,200 is a great price on the Euphoria, most places they would sell for $12-13K+

$9000 is way low, perhaps they purchased a used Euphoria or a blemished model of some sort.

Like hottubguy said, the V94 is a great model and is probably Marquis #1 selling model this year.  Good luck in your search!

You might also talk to castletonia on this forum, I believe he sells Marquis in Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:20:22 pm by MarKee »

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »
Thanks for suggesting me Markee :D.  Unfortunately I'm about 3 hours away from Eau Claire Buyer.  He has a great dealer in Swimrite Pools & Spas who I'm sure can help him out.  As Markee and Hottubguy suggested, check out the V94.  Its a great spa with a really unique therapy design and should be possible for $9k.  Otherwise, if you don't need a spa that big and want to stay in the Signature series, then look at a 2-Pump Promise.  It will really only fit 4 adults but it does have two deep seats and if you can get a Euphoria for $10k then you should be able to get into the Promise for $9k.

Eau Claire buyer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:40:55 pm »
Thank you for the great ideas. I just wet tested in a hotspring Vanguard, and was quoted $10,500 delivered with steps, lifter and starter chems.   I wet tested a marquis epic with microsilk, and I loved the 2 powerful jets that moved water.
The price on that one was more than I wanted to consider, but what a great spa. 
I really can see the difference in the dealers,  I appreciate you professionals offering your wisdom to me.  I went to two different low grade spa dealers yesterday, and was tempted to buy a $5500 spa that looked great empty.  I know I would have regretted that for years.

Eau Claire buyer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:29:07 pm »
I was called by an energetic Sundance Dealer from St Paul who is offering a great package on a Sundance Optima for $10,399 with an extreme MN cover, hydraulic lift, chemicals, and stairs.  What is a better tub for the money, the Optima,  or the Hotsprings Vanguard?  They are both about the same price.
Thanks for any guidance.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »
So you are at 10200 for euphoria, 10500 for vanguard or 10400 for a optima. Which one feels the best to you?  All 3 great tubs. I would let the wet test and dealer determine which one I got. How far is St. Paul from you?  Check on trip charges for warranty work especially if the other dealers are close to you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 12:22:05 am »
I was called by an energetic Sundance Dealer from St Paul who is offering a great package on a Sundance Optima for $10,399 with an extreme MN cover, hydraulic lift, chemicals, and stairs.  What is a better tub for the money, the Optima,  or the Hotsprings Vanguard?  They are both about the same price.
Thanks for any guidance.

There is no best choice between the two, its all about which is better for you. In your original post you stated you are 6'4" and 250 lbs so you're a big guy but you didn't mention anything about wet testing which is important for everyone but especially so if you are not an "average" sized person. I assume both dealers seem like they'll be good to deal with and you already said the prices were about the same so I'd suggest you set up a time to wet test both of them (preferably on the same afternoon) because there's a good chance one will feel like the better fit and if they're still the same I'd just say go with your guy, or let the family vote.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:26:19 am »
Did you ask about the Epic without MicroSilk?  It should be fairly close in price to the Euphoria.

You are looking at some good brands but here are some advantages in my opinion of the Marquis over the HotSpring or Sundance:

-Stronger DuraWood cabinet material on Marquis that doesn't fade after years of being in the weather (similar material to Trex decking)
-ABS plastic DuraBase on Marquis (the Vanguard is a wood bottom w/ exposed foam underneath, Sundance used to be the same type of wood bottom, not sure if that has changed recently)
-Both pumps 2 speed in the Marquis, Sundance both pumps single speed, HotSpring one pump single speed and one 2 pump speed
-Nicer fit-and-finish underneath the hood on the Marquis, no screw driver needed to get in to the access panel.  Open up the access panel on the Marquis and do the same on the other brands, you'll be surprised.
-Higher jet count on the Marquis
-Inline SpaFrog cartridge system for easy maintenance on the Marquis
-Heavy-duty DuraCover will come standard on the Marquis, no need to upgrade it
-Marquis made in USA, Vanguard made in USA, Sundance made in Mexico

Eau Claire buyer

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 09:09:20 am »
I was taught of "The shop keepers law"   It implies that it is un ethical to waste a merchants time, unless you are confidant you are going to purchase from them.  I feel bad going into numerous spa dealers knowing that I am only going to buy one spa.
The Hot spring dealer i saw yesterday, was telling me that Marquis is inferior construction as they don't use treated wood under the panels,  He also showed me a 5 year old Marquis just out of warranty that was having problems that he took on trade.  It had mold, and He went on about how Marquis was a good spa until the warranty runs out.    In fairness, he knew I just came from a positive experience with the Marquis store, and was leaning that way.
I am leaning toward the Sundance optima, for perceived value.  The dealer is about 70 miles away from my house, do you think they will honor warranty work?
The Sundance dealer is giving me until Saturday to take his offer.

DKRanger22

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:58:02 am »
You are spending several thousands of dollars on this purchase.  That's what the dealers are there for - to help you make an informed purchase decision.   You asking for a wet soak is not costing them anything - the salesman is getting paid the same if you come in for a wet soak and don't end up buying or if the store is completely empty.  I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.  Nor would I buy a $8-$10k hot tub without a soak. 

Lastly, don't put too much stock in the "price is only good through Sunday" routine.   That's a pressure tactic, and if the dealer really wants to make the sale, he'll happily take your money on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday... Etc.   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:03:49 am by DKRanger22 »

mpkelley20

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 10:06:31 am »

Lastly, don't put too much stock in the "price is only good through Sunday" routine.   That's a pressure tactic, and if the dealer really wants to make the sale, he'll happily take your money on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday... Etc.

Hahahaha!!  I went through this with the Sundance and Hot Springs dealer.  "Price is only good through...".  Once I told him I was going with a Marquis (a far superior spa for my needs and wants), his prices suddenly dropped.  Nothing pisses me off more than a sales person who plays the old fashioned car pricing game.  Those days are over. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 11:24:34 am »
Thanks for any guidance.

you might wanna soak in a Bullfrog...R7 has much more value in my opinion...Vanguard is nice but it's a 3-4 person tub Max because its missing a corner seat, it also has 2 moto massages so if you get bored with those jets you really don't have any variety

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:31 am »
I was taught of "The shop keepers law"   It implies that it is un ethical to waste a merchants time, unless you are confidant you are going to purchase from them.  I feel bad going into numerous spa dealers knowing that I am only going to buy one spa.
The Hot spring dealer i saw yesterday, was telling me that Marquis is inferior construction as they don't use treated wood under the panels,  He also showed me a 5 year old Marquis just out of warranty that was having problems that he took on trade.  It had mold, and He went on about how Marquis was a good spa until the warranty runs out.    In fairness, he knew I just came from a positive experience with the Marquis store, and was leaning that way.
I am leaning toward the Sundance optima, for perceived value.  The dealer is about 70 miles away from my house, do you think they will honor warranty work?
The Sundance dealer is giving me until Saturday to take his offer.

Did the Hot Springs dealer give you any reasons why you should buy his spa or only reasons why not to buy the other one?  I'm a Marquis and Watkins dealer (Caldera which is very similar to Hot Springs in a lot of way).  Build quality on the Signature line of the Marquis tubs is a lot different ways superior.  From the full bottom ABS pan, the cabinet quality, the power on the jetting and the multiple seat levels I would give Marquis the advantage.  Lighting and the controller is more sophisticated on the Hot Spring.  Both are great tubs.  One thing I've learned is never bash the competition especially when they are a equal or superior product to what you sell.  Give them reasons why they might enjoy your product more. 

The only way to know about warranty work is to check with the Sundance dealer.  I'm sure they will honor the warranty.  If they sell it they must warranty it in almost all cases.  The only thing I would check with them on is trip charges under warranty.  Have you wet tested the Optima yet?  I wouldn't put much stock into the only by Saturday unless it's a corporate rebate offered through the manufacturer.  Caldera just had one and I've never used the you must buy by a certain date more in my life but it was a real rebate that had a official end date.  Try them all and pick the DEALER and the tub that works best for you. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42