What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot tub rookie need help choosing  (Read 16899 times)

ray

hot tub rookie need help choosing
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
hello everyone... need help in choosing my first hot tub... wet tested the hotsprings grandee and jacuzzi j495... preferred jacuzzi over hotsprings... about to wet test sundance aspen... would like to know your thoughts on sundance vs jacuzzi vs caldera cantabria... is there a pecking order as far as quality?  thanks for all your help.

ray

Hot Tub Forum

hot tub rookie need help choosing
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: hot tub rookie need help choosing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 03:49:46 pm »
for those 3 specific models its pretty much 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other...make sure you wet test and see which model suits your families needs the best as far as jetting, comfort, etc. Also even though they are all very close in size, features, warranty, etc. each dealer sets pricing so that will be a factor as well...other than that those models are pretty much a "copycat" of each other, there all built in Mexico and will have similar/same build quality and similar/same components "underneath the hood"

DKRanger22

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:38:45 pm »
I strongly considered both the Cantabria and the Grandee during my recent search.  I also briefly explored the Aspen, which seemed like a very nice tub with excellent fit/finish.   I wanted a big tub from a reputable manufacturer, but didn't want to pay the premium that these behemoths cost.  I ended up in a Bullfrog R8 (8-person) for thousands less than any of the other options that I was considering and don't feel as if I have sacrificed much (if anything) in terms of quality or performance.  I am yet to receive it, but based on my wet-test experience, I'm going to be very happy with it.  If price is a factor for you, I'd recommend giving Bullfrog a look, as their 8-person offerings - while slightly smaller than all of the ones you are considering except the Grandee - should be significantly less expensive.  If you're set on the models that you've mentioned, then I think the best advice you will get on this forum is to wet test them all and see which one feels the best.  They're all quality tubs from good manufacturers, so the minor differences in features really come down to personal preference.   If they all feel good to you, then it comes down to which dealer you think will provide the best service and also, which one offers the best price.

One comment:  the Cantabria is the only tub of the 4 mentioned with a lounger.  Not sure if that is important to you or not, but a wet test will be critical to ensure that you fit in it comfortably. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:44:43 pm by DKRanger22 »

ray

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:12 pm »
thank you both... i've wet tested the grandee and j495... will be wet testing the cantabria and aspen tomorrow... at first i like the lounger but then not everybody will fit in it... so that's not really a factor... as for bullfrog... i will check where the nearest dealer is... will let you guys know.  wish me luck... :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:47:31 pm »
 All four of those are great choices no matter where they are made. The more you can wet test the more you will know. Every brand has a different feel and only a couple are right for you. Quality manufacturers means the most. All those are. Marquis or D1 around? Also great choices.
Retired

DKRanger22

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:45 pm »
thank you both... i've wet tested the grandee and j495... will be wet testing the cantabria and aspen tomorrow... at first i like the lounger but then not everybody will fit in it... so that's not really a factor... as for bullfrog... i will check where the nearest dealer is... will let you guys know.  wish me luck... :)

Of the two, which one are you leaning towards?  Also, what did you think of the Grandee and the Moto-massage feature?   I enjoyed the Moto-massage of the Grandee very much, but found the Jetpacks of the Bullfrog R8 to be every bit as good if not better.   I really liked the Grandee, but couldn't justify the massive price differential.  The R8 is essentially the same exact size as the Grandee. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:04:42 pm »

Of the two, which one are you leaning towards?  Also, what did you think of the Grandee and the Moto-massage feature?   I enjoyed the Moto-massage of the Grandee very much, but found the Jetpacks of the Bullfrog R8 to be every bit as good if not better.   I really liked the Grandee, but couldn't justify the massive price differential.  The R8 is essentially the same exact size as the Grandee.

You got that tub for damn near wholesale. Twin cities would probably agree that that tub should've been closer to 10k with the options you got

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »
So many different brands to choose from. You can't go wrong with sun dance, jacuzzi, caldera, hot springs, marquis, d-1 or a few others.  Bullfrog is coming on strong and I'm not saying they don't belong in the same level as the others I just don't know enough about the newer ones.  I've only ever worked on older ones and only saw the newer ones at a couple of shows. They look nice. Wet testing is important and finding the tub and the deal that works best for you

DKRanger22

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:37 pm »
You got that tub for damn near wholesale. Twin cities would probably agree that that tub should've been closer to 10k with the options you got

No dispute, but even at $10k, that's still thousands cheaper than any of the tubs that the original poster is considering.   My guess is that any of the other four tubs in his consideration set will go from $12-$14K, and I don't believe that the Bullfrog sacrifices much if anything to these tubs (albeit a few inches in size to the Cantabria, Aspen and 495... Virtually the same size as the Grandee).   I considered 3 of the 4 tubs very carefully, tested 2 of the 3, and felt that the jets of the Bullfrog were either equal to or better than the others.   I concede that my deal was definitely an anomaly, but even so, the Bullfrog still presents a great value proposition even at normal retail price. 

ray

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:46:45 pm »

i liked the moto massage but for some reason i enjoyed the j495 better... that's why i can't wait to wet test the aspen tomorrow.  it looks pretty similar.  :) I also like the foot dome massage which the grandee did not have.. grandee did have a couple of foot massage jets but they are across the tub so if somebody is sitting on that side it's kinda awkward.  i'll also be testing the cantabria...  thanks again for all your inputs!  this is a big investment and i don't want to mess up.  :)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:53:26 pm »

No dispute, but even at $10k, that's still thousands cheaper than any of the tubs that the original poster is considering.   My guess is that any of the other four tubs in his consideration set will go from $12-$14K, and I don't believe that the Bullfrog sacrifices much if anything to these tubs (albeit a few inches in size to the Cantabria, Aspen and 495... Virtually the same size as the Grandee).   I considered 3 of the 4 tubs very carefully, tested 2 of the 3, and felt that the jets of the Bullfrog were either equal to or better than the others.   I concede that my deal was definitely an anomaly, but even so, the Bullfrog still presents a great value proposition even at normal retail price.

You are right. The r series would compare more to the paradise line from caldera or 300 series from jacuzzi. Either way you got a great deal!  When are you getting it?

DKRanger22

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 11:06:19 pm »
You could even compare it against an A8, which frankly isn't much different from the R8 with the exception of 2 additional jet packs.  I guess I'm a bit biased, but I think my opinion could be helpful to Ray, as I was also considering many of the same, larger tubs as he is.  Bullfrog wasn't even in my original consideration set until it was time to start talking price on the Cantabria, Grandee and Aspen.  When I found that the dealers were by and large unwilling to move on price for these bigger tubs, it became evident to me that I needed to go a different path.   If money were no object, I probably would have found myself in the Aspen.  But price was a factor to me, which led me to Bullfrog.   After learning more about the quality of the product and testing one for myself, I was immediately sold. 

Hoping to complete my pad this weekend and the electrical run the following weekend.   This is a floor model, so as soon as I'm ready, the dealer can have it here anytime!   :)

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 11:12:28 pm »
You could even compare it against an A8, which frankly isn't much different from the R8 with the exception of 2 additional jet packs.  I guess I'm a bit biased, but I think my opinion could be helpful to Ray, as I was also considering many of the same, larger tubs as he is.  Bullfrog wasn't even in my original consideration set until it was time to start talking price on the Cantabria, Grandee and Aspen.  When I found that the dealers were by and large unwilling to move on price for these bigger tubs, it became evident to me that I needed to go a different path.   If money were no object, I probably would have found myself in the Aspen.  But price was a factor to me, which led me to Bullfrog.   After learning more about the quality of the product and testing one for myself, I was immediately sold. 

Hoping to complete my pad this weekend and the electrical run the following weekend.   This is a floor model, so as soon as I'm ready, the dealer can have it here anytime!   :)

You are right. One thing I've learned in this business is comfort is different to everybody. What I might like doesn't mean anything. It's all about how the tub feels to you

DKRanger22

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 11:19:23 pm »

i liked the moto massage but for some reason i enjoyed the j495 better... that's why i can't wait to wet test the aspen tomorrow.  it looks pretty similar.  :) I also like the foot dome massage which the grandee did not have.. grandee did have a couple of foot massage jets but they are across the tub so if somebody is sitting on that side it's kinda awkward.  i'll also be testing the cantabria...  thanks again for all your inputs!  this is a big investment and i don't want to mess up.  :)

If you liked the 495, I think you'll really like the Aspen.   It's a great, big tub with excellent fit/finish and is essentially a sister tub to the 495.   The Cantabria is also big, but has a different feel with the lounger and very defined, reclined seat positions.   The Aspen and 495 have more open layouts without the lounger, and the 4 corner seats are very deep.   The rest of the seats in the Aspen / 495 are more bench-style.  In summary, I think you will find the Aspen / 495 to be very similar, and the Cantabria will offer a bit of a different experience.   

The Bullfrog R8 / A8 also offers a foot dome, and the corner seats are nice and deep.    It's not as deep at 38" depth (compared to 41" in the Aspen / 495), but overall depth can be a bit deceiving depending on where measurements are taken.  At 6'4", I found the R8 plenty deep. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 06:43:52 am »
hello everyone... need help in choosing my first hot tub... wet tested the hotsprings grandee and jacuzzi j495... preferred jacuzzi over hotsprings... about to wet test sundance aspen... would like to know your thoughts on sundance vs jacuzzi vs caldera cantabria... is there a pecking order as far as quality?  thanks for all your help.

ray

Don't use anyone elses opinion of what they think feels good or is a good deal. This is for you not them. As long as the brands you are considering are quality (and they are). Salesman are going to try and sway you.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 06:43:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42