What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: concrete slab size  (Read 3150 times)

cparlf

concrete slab size
« on: July 27, 2004, 10:05:28 am »
My tub is on order, and the concrete contractor is ready to work the magic this weekend.  A final question about this recently well discussed topic: We are trying to decide how big to make the slab.  Realizing there is one primary entrance point to the tub, I know I need space on that side for the steps.  My wife thinks it would be nice to have a 2 foot lip around the two sides, and three across the front for the steps and a little extra.  Room to move about, dry off, work the cover etc.  

A recent post stated why stop short on a few dollars when considering the magnitude of the purchase, and I agree.  Within reason.  

Does anyone with a spa dedicated concrete slab wish they went bigger or smaller with the slab, and why?  Thanks to all.  This is a great forum.

Hot Tub Forum

concrete slab size
« on: July 27, 2004, 10:05:28 am »

UnderTheStars

Re: concrete slab size
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 11:44:44 am »
IMO, depends totally on your yard and what you want to do landscape-wise.  In my case I have a small backyard w/lots of existing flower gardens.  We wanted a "minimal" slab and settled on 10" beyond the tub on the sides and back.  In front there is enough slab for the steps plus an extra 5".

Something I did that really helped visualize and decide what we wanted:  Use four 18" stakes to mark the proposed corners of your slab.   (rebar, bamboo plant stakes, whatever you have.)  Use four 48" stakes to mark the size of the tub (pound these in roughly to the height of the tub.)  Now tie some builders line from stake to stake to "outline the top edge of the slab and top edge of the tub.  (Lowe's etc. sell bright flourescent string - it's by the rope & chain.)

This helped us a lot!  You can glance out the window or step out the back door and really "see" the tub and slab.  Live with it for a day or two and you'll quickly visualize what you want.  Good luck with it!  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 11:46:11 am by UnderTheStars »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 11:55:26 am »
Double check the building codes in your area to see at what size you need to have the slab inspected. In my area a slab under 100 square feet did not need to be inspected, but a slab over that did require inspections and permits.

Granted, it is hard to ge in trouble for dropping a slab, but it does, sometimes, happen.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 11:55:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42