What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can someone give me a quick rundown on hot tub pumps?  (Read 3675 times)

JacuzziJack

Can someone give me a quick rundown on hot tub pumps?
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:41:24 am »
I need to come up with a pump/motor assembly on a 2 pump (not incl circ pump) hot tub where the PO removed one of the pumps. He *did* give me the actual pump that was removed (less motor), so I don't know anything about the motor data on the pump that was removed. I did remove the second  pump to check condition. It's a 2006 Cal Spa hot tub. I'd like to get something used or new (inexpensive), where do I start? Do I call the Calspa dealer and find out the specs (and price) and get one off Ebay? Where is a good place to get a reasonably priced pump/motor?

Can someone give me the skinny on HT pumps/motors?   Common sizes ...if a HT has 2x pumps are they usually both the same, just staged on for more flow, or is one generally higher HP than the other? How many types are there on the market (looks like I'm seeing only a couple types on Ebay)? What about interchangability? Mounting bases?

Thanks,

Jack

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:43:29 am by JacuzziJack »

Hot Tub Forum

Can someone give me a quick rundown on hot tub pumps?
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:41:24 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Can someone give me a quick rundown on hot tub pumps?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:30:08 am »
http://www.spadepot.com/Main-Spa-Pumps-C690.aspx

match up the HP, Frame (48 or 56 typically) plumbing size (typically 2" or 2.5") and discharge location (side, center, etc.)...to save yourself some time you may be able to call Cal directly, or a Cal dealer and they might be able to point you in the right direction of what pump was typically used for that particular year/model

JacuzziJack

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:24 am »
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I called several dealers and what I found is not much support: former dealers who don't handle Calspa anymore (even though Calspa's website still lists them), or, dealers who are in the process of dropping their line. Ouch!! Didn't get a response the few times I called Calspa. Hmmm. Well I'll persist.

Can anyone help me 'estimate' what size pump the missing pump might be? It's a 54 jet 7 person hot tub, Calspa Belair with two jet pumps, one pump is two speed (5 hp), the other pump motor that is missing (the pump housing reads 56 frame) is supposed to be a single speed pump.

For those who work on hot tubs regularly, would the pump 2 (single-speed) pump in a situation like this most likely be a 5hp pump?

What's your best guess?

Thanks,

Jack

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:42 am »
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I called several dealers and what I found is not much support: former dealers who don't handle Calspa anymore (even though Calspa's website still lists them), or, dealers who are in the process of dropping their line. Ouch!! Didn't get a response the few times I called Calspa. Hmmm. Well I'll persist.

Can anyone help me 'estimate' what size pump the missing pump might be? It's a 54 jet 7 person hot tub, Calspa Belair with two jet pumps, one pump is two speed (5 hp), the other pump motor that is missing (the pump housing reads 56 frame) is supposed to be a single speed pump.

For those who work on hot tubs regularly, would the pump 2 (single-speed) pump in a situation like this most likely be a 5hp pump?

What's your best guess?

Thanks,

Jack

Yes it could be a 5 BHP but are they measuring BPH or true HP? It makes sense that it is a one speed pump. One pump is used for circulation and filtration (2 speed pump) and the other to feed jets during use. So 56 frame, what size plumbing?
Retired

JacuzziJack

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:36:12 am »
Thanks for the feedback and helping zero in on the pump size, I'm thinking it's probably 5hp too because the #2 broken pump (the wet end that was laying at the bottom of the H/T) is the same physical size and frame (56) as the 2-speed pump (pump 1) that was in there. I didn't measure the impeller but it looks close from what I can see.

Couple other bits of info:
1) There *is* a separate filtration pump (that would be the 3rd pump)
2) I forgot to mention, in addition to the 54 jets, there are 2x waterfalls, not that it matters much, but just saying...
3) Pump inlet/outlet are 2.45 (fundamentally 2.5") ID

Thanks,

castletonia

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:08:49 pm »
The pumps that would have originally came with the hot tub would have either been a 5BHP or a 6BHP.  Pump 1 is a 2-speed and the way the electronics are configured pump 2 will be high speed only, regardless if you put a 2-speed pump in.  I was a Cal dealer from 2005-2009 and when the pumps would fail, we would replace the 6BHP with a 4HP Waterway Executive and the 5BHP with a 3HP Waterway Executive.  Pumps are 56 frame and have a 2" intake and discharge.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 02:58:31 pm »
Thanks, that's great info. Just what I needed.

Can I ask why you would replace with smaller pumps/motors? Were they too large or noisy?

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 04:14:02 pm »
The pumps Cal Spas used were BHP or brake horsepower whereas the ones we replaced them with were continuous horsepower so they really were not a downgrade.  The GE motors Cal used were actually quieter but the Waterway ones were more reliable. 

JacuzziJack

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:48 pm »
Again, thanks for the valuable info. I finally got ahold of a rep and a new 6 BHP single-speed pump/motor from Calspa is $355. That's not too bad as far as what I've seen elsewhere for prices.

Thanks again for the help.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42