What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Did I just destroy my brand new Spa?  (Read 31384 times)

Hottubprosne

Re: Did I just destroy my brand new Spa?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:08 am »
While empty use an automotive buffer and some headlight restore polish start easy. The longer you use the buffer you will actually start to heat the tub up. Start light until you get the hang of it . I have fixed deep gouges and scratches this way if it is on the surface and it will come off this will do it. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:08 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 11:17:50 am »
Drain it down, pick up a spray can of brake cleaner, spray it on a paper towel and wipe the stuff off.  Takes about 15 seconds.  Refill the spa and enjoy.    IT will not hurt your spa/acrylic, and 15 years of me myself using it on various mars and scuffs and stains in spas it works.   If it doesn't work, your pretty much out of luck. Or use the magic eraser, it might take it off..

FL Person

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 11:21:03 am »
Got some guys working out there right now.  I'll drain the spa later today and give it a try after they're gone.  I often use WD40 in the same way you'd use a product like Goo Gone, etc.  It's very good at removing adhesive, black marks and the like.  I've got brake cleaner, WD40 and Goof-Off in the garage.

Update later.

FL Person

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 12:34:19 pm »
a light acid scrub with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser should take it right off

On that note, the only thing I can add to this discussion of my wife brought home some generic versions of the MR Clean Magic Eraser. Those generics are now in the trash.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »
 WD-40 doesn't evaporate like brake cleaner does. 

FL Person

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:50 pm »
I'm absolutely beside myself.  The tub is drained.  I applied brake cleaner both directly to the stain and to a bright white Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  After scrubbing, the eraser looks as it did when it came out of the package.  As far as I can tell, I have not been able to remove a single molecule of this stain.

The dealer is coming here Friday with polishing pads, which I imagine is a process similar to the headlight restoration mentioned earlier.  The dealer also spoke to the chemical company who simply mentioned that the chemicals could turn rust-colored if poured into water with a high iron content (as suggested earlier in this thread).  Other than that, they offered no information or assistance.

FL Person

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 04:04:44 pm »
I'm absolutely beside myself.  The tub is drained.  I applied brake cleaner both directly to the stain and to a bright white Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  After scrubbing, the eraser looks as it did when it came out of the package.  As far as I can tell, I have not been able to remove a single molecule of this stain.

The dealer is coming here Friday with polishing pads, which I imagine is a process similar to the headlight restoration mentioned earlier.  The dealer also spoke to the chemical company who simply mentioned that the chemicals could turn rust-colored if poured into water with a high iron content (as suggested earlier in this thread).  Other than that, they offered no information or assistance.

FL Person

Here's how you remove it, if this doesn't work I'd be shocked.....fill a smaller bowl with 16-18 ounces of good warm/hot water out of the faucet, take your granular pH reducer product, measure out a good 2-3 ounce quantity, pour it into the bowl of warm water, use a spoon to stir it up good and dilute it completely...glove up, soak a mr. clean magic eraser in that solution and scrub that baby off :-)

bud16415

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 05:06:50 pm »
If you think it is iron precipitated out as I mentioned earlier I like the chance of the above ph down mentioned above as working. Worth a try.   

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 05:47:16 pm »
  That a heavy duty stain you got there!    :'(   

FL Person

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 10:38:40 pm »

Here's how you remove it, if this doesn't work I'd be shocked.....fill a smaller bowl with 16-18 ounces of good warm/hot water out of the faucet, take your granular pH reducer product, measure out a good 2-3 ounce quantity, pour it into the bowl of warm water, use a spoon to stir it up good and dilute it completely...glove up, soak a mr. clean magic eraser in that solution and scrub that baby off :-)

I'll try this in the morning.  Thanks.

If you think it is iron precipitated out as I mentioned earlier I like the chance of the above ph down mentioned above as working. Worth a try.

I don't know what to think.  As I wrote earlier, this is my first time owning a spa and I've never owned a pool.  All of this is new to me and my knowledge on the subject has been mostly garnered through this forum.

FL Person

FL Person

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 11:08:49 pm »
Here's how you remove it, if this doesn't work I'd be shocked.....

The notion of a solution was too enticing for me to wait til morning. 

100% ineffective.  Nothing I have tried has altered the appearance of this mark in the slightest way.

Thanks for the suggestion.

FL Person

MarKee

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 04:38:59 am »
I would try "Goof Off" brand name product, it comes in a yellow can.  Not Goo Gone, that isn't nearly close to the strength of Goof Off.  I've always been able to get rust spots off of shells with Goof Off.

FL Person

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 08:09:49 am »
I would try "Goof Off" brand name product, it comes in a yellow can.  Not Goo Gone, that isn't nearly close to the strength of Goof Off.  I've always been able to get rust spots off of shells with Goof Off.

100% ineffective.

I don't believe any longer that this is a stain.  I believe the chemicals have physically damaged the acrylic surface. 

FL Person

Water Boy

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 11:00:14 am »
I doubt this will work, but worth a try. For swimming pools, they make a product called stain out. You pour it into the pool in the area of the stain, and it helps to lift the stain up. Then you follow that up with a metal and scale control to remove the metals so it doesn't re-stain the surface again. Worth a shot maybe.
http://coolpoolstuff.com/regal-stain-out-2-5-lb/
http://discountpoolsonline.com/home-2/cleaners/?&SingleProduct=807

You might also call the Bullfrog headquarters to see what they would suggest. You could email them the picture you have, and see what they say.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

FL Person

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 11:37:15 am »
I doubt this will work, but worth a try....
You might also call the Bullfrog headquarters to see what they would suggest. You could email them the picture you have, and see what they say.

I'm done trying cleaners.  They have proven completely ineffective.  The dealer should be contacting Bullfrog today but at this point, I think the only chance of improving the situation is polishing (effectively, sanding) the affected area.  The only question is how deep has it penetrated?

FL Person

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 11:37:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42