What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub cover  (Read 3632 times)

DHeigs13

Hot tub cover
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »
This is the first time I have been on this website and it appears as though there are a lot of really well-informed people on here that can answer my question.  I have been looking for a hot tub cover and after reading article after article, review after review, complaint after complaint on the internet, I have no clue who makes a good hot tub cover.  Every time I think I find one that appears to be a good one, I read complaints saying how bad the cover is and how they cannot get help from the manufacturer.  With that in mind, I am looking for the experts' help.  I live in Syracuse NY where we get boatloads of snow, I like to use the hot tub in the winter, and I want a cover that will last.  What would your recommendation be for brand, style, etc.?  What should I expect to pay for a good hot tub cover?  As many details you can provide for your selection would be greatly appreciated.   

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub cover
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »

bud16415

Re: Hot tub cover
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 07:00:14 am »
I can’t help with the brand to buy as I’m still using the one that came from the manufacture of my tub. I do live in Erie Pa and understand a boat load of snow. We live 30 miles south of town and get a good 200” each winter. We installed our tub last year and loved the open sky above till fall. between leaves and rain and knowing the snow was coming I built a pergola above it and covered it with a tin roof. It made a huge difference over winter with the snow and snow weight.

We miss the stars but I’m very glad we covered it. the view out the sides is still great. 

DHeigs13

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:59:27 am »
I guess I am not necessarily looking for brand but where is a reliable place to get a good hot tub cover.  I have seen stuff on spadepot.com, hottubworks.com, ebay, amazon, Costco.  I have no idea who makes a good one and who does not.  I have read a lot of feedback about R-Value and how that number can get tweaked. Perhaps I should rephrase my question to the following:
If you lived in a location where you get over 200 inches of snow a year, what qualities would you value more?  Would it be the thickness of the cover (4", 5" 6")? Would you want it tapered?  What density of foam would be appropriate? What outside material would be best and what thickness?  I have seen places that are offering Sunbrella material.  Can anybody tell me whether that is good or not.   I am assuming I want to have it double-wrapped, heat sealed, and double stitched.  Is there anything else I am missing?
Thank you

Sam

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:54:28 pm »
Yes, thicker will insulate better and be stronger.  Heavier foam density is good as well, though has less effect on efficiency than thickness.  I personally recommend going to a reputable dealer in your area.  You are supporting a local business and you will have somewhere to go if there is a problem or issue.  Internet companies can be less invested in helping you after the sale.  I like having a place where I can go face to face should the need arise.

As for Sunbrella, it certainly looks nicer.  I haven't had enough in the field to make a full assessment yet.

Double wrap is a no brainer.  hinge seal as well.  If you stick with vinyl, look for 30 oz which I believe is the heaviest, or close to it.

All this said, if your hot tub is old I would probably just recommend putting the cheapest thing on there, or at least not bother with all of the upgrades.

DHeigs13

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:47:14 pm »
I am not even sure I am all that concerned about efficiency as much as I am concerned about getting something that will last.  My concern about going local is that the current cover I have is from the same place I bought the hot tub for and the cover has only lasted about 5 years over which the last one I have been doing things to make it work.  I tried to resolve things with them and have had limited success.  Needless to say, my faith that they would be able to do something for me should something happen to this one is limited.  I guess if I go to a different supplier.  I have read a few things on here about Sunstar and I found they have a local supplier.  Are they good?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 02:44:59 pm »
I live in Syracuse NY where we get boatloads of snow, I like to use the hot tub in the winter, and I want a cover that will last. 

BTW, as a native Upstate NYer who fleed the blizzards I feel for you living in Syracuse in the wintertime (bud16415 isn't much better off in Erie either)!

https://blog.niche.com/portfolio_item/snowiest-cities-in-america/

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sam

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:03:25 pm »
Sunstar makes a good cover.  They are the OEM for a lot of big brands.  Add the double wrap and treat that thing with 303 protectant a few times per year and it should last a long time, barring hail damage or something like that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:03:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42