What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Having a hard time regulating chem levels  (Read 2882 times)

rhdowns

Having a hard time regulating chem levels
« on: May 07, 2016, 04:27:42 pm »
I bought a floor model Jacuzzi J-495 in Jan 2016. Since then I've had all kinds of issues with it and with the place I bought it from and Jacuzzi tech support (Speaker and subwoofer haven't worked since it was delivered / flow switch failed / poor service and communication).

Aside from that though I have struggled with keeping the chemical levels regulated and I feel like I am adding way more chemicals and spending way more time than I should be getting them right. I bought a set of test strips and a full taylor test kit. I mainly use the test kit because the strips I'm using don't register chlorine unless it has way too much in it.

I clean my filters more than once a week usually with a hose and they look good. It has the uv light which according to the counter has 150 days or so left. I asked the store if they replaced it before delivery and they said no. It was a filled floor model that was kept in their showroom and sold "as new". I replaced all the water in the tub about 3-4 weeks ago when the technician came out to fix the failed flow switch and attempt to fix the speakers.

I check the tub almost daily and since switching the water I'm having even more trouble keeping the chemical levels correct. First I fixed the calcium levels by testing it - 40ppm is what my tap water comes out at and I raised it to 150ppm.

I then daily check the ph and the chlorine with the taylor kit. I usually test alkalinity with the strips but occasionally test it with the taylor kit too. I have leisure time chemicals and usually use Spa Up and Chlorinating Granules. I recently switched to Clorox Pool&Spa chlorinating granules (which seem to give off a much stronger odor).

Lately my PH has been all over the place, my chlorine stays low - without me even using the tub at all. It stays covered on my outdoor porch most of the time this is my typical daily routine:

Remove the entire cover. Test PH with Taylor kit - ph has been low lately so then I usually add .5 to 1oz Spa Up and cycle the water for 20-40 min. I then test it again and make sure the ph is back in the 7.4-7.6 range. Then I test the chlorine and lately it has tested clear with the taylor kit. I then add 1oz of chlorinating granules (I have a 1 ounce scoop and I toss a little all around the tub as the jets run). That has only been raising the chlorine levels to 1.5 ppm or so and so I have been adding more after it cycles 20-40 min. Yesterday I had it up to 10ppm (high I know) I then cycled it open for 45-1hr and covered the spa. Today I checked it and my ph is back low (7.0). My chlorine is at 1.5ppm.

I just cleaned the filters yesterday and the water looks really clear.

What is normal? The tub is big its 540 gallons but it just seems like I am having to do a lot of work for not even using it very often and keeping it covered except when checking levels and correcting.

I will post another thread about all the other issues to get some advice on what I should do with the dealer/jacuzzi and the technician over buying a 15k tub that has been broke since new.

Hot Tub Forum

Having a hard time regulating chem levels
« on: May 07, 2016, 04:27:42 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Having a hard time regulating chem levels
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 06:26:02 pm »
 Quit stressing over the chems.   My guess is the Clorox chlorine you bought might be causing some of the PH problems.   Sometimes those products have fillers in them.    I check mine once a week maybe every other week, chlorine once or twice a week, depending on use.  Shock once a week and defender once a week, clarifier as needed.      You don't need to clean your filters so much, I do mine like every 3 months.    A bad flow switch is not the end of the world it happens.   Stereo is what it is sorry you are having issues with the dealer!

Sam

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »
Yeah, you are worrying too much about the water balance.  Personally, if I tested my ph and it was 7 I would call it good and move on.  7 is neutral so it won't hurt anything.  I also would not worry about calcium hardness at all.  Rather than add chlorine manually all the time, I would use the @ease system by spa frog.  It will self regulate the chlorine level where it needs to be.  Then you just shock it once per month, replace one of the cartridges about once per month and the other every 4 months.  Also like Jim said, you don't need to clean your filters so often.

Hot tub water management does not need to be complicated.  I think that it may just be new and a little overwhelming to you but it doesn't need to be. 

Hydrotherapy Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:48:26 pm »
You may consider adding borates to your water to act as a PH Buffer. If you want to geek out you can read more about borates effect on PH here http://www.crscientific.com/experiment4.html

But otherwise for a medium to large size tub add about 1lb of boric acid granules after balancing your tub and your PH should stop jumping around so much.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »
There are so many factors that come into play during a water test.  You have mentioned some things that may be the reason.  Your logic is solid and Its more likely you've already addressed the culprit but I wanted to hit a few things that were not expressly spoken of. . .

The alkalinity should not be discounted:  Keeping it in range will allow the pH to stay balanced as alkalinity will absorb the things that will potentially want to draw the pH higher or lower.  I prefer to have that in line first usually, then balance the pH.   

Additionally- I have found that usage patterns (how many users, how long is each usage, and how often?) can reduce pH.  If you are using your tub with great frequency or with many bathers or multiple times a day, it may have an effect on your pH.

Your source water (tap water? well water?) could also adjust your pH level.  Thus every time you top off your spa you may be making adjustments.  Test your source water and know that its levels will be constant and will push your spa water in the direction in which they read.

Chlorine is typically high in pH.  But if you're maintaining a lower chlorine level you wont get the pH bump.  Liquid chlorines (bleach, liquid shock, etc) typically has a shelf life and the more it is jostled around, the more gas it gives off and the lesser the potency of the product.

And your testing kit could be contaminated.  The Taylor kit is awesome and I dont knock you for having one.  But what if the liquids have gone bad?   Or- when was the last time you've had the water tested by a professional just to get a second set of eyes and a second opinion on your water? 

I am only pointing these things out as you didn't address them specifically so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.   

As an aside:  Testing every day can also be the issue.  You can test your water three times a day and get three slightly different answers.  There are margins of error, slight variations in water chemistry and user error that can contribute to the variations.  I'd push back to 2-3 times a week so you can see the bigger picture.  And give your spa several hours to adjust between, say, making a pH adjustment and adding chlorine.  Then test several hours after the final adjustment is made.

I hope this helps.  I am sure you probably knew all of this already but I just prefer to make sure all bases are covered and that nobody is missing something easy.  Good luck moving forward.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »
Also- And I cannot believe I forgot this:

I sell a product called pH Hold that I suggest to customers who have the same or similar issues as you do.  I get my products from N. Jonas & Co.  I would have to believe that there are the same/similar products out there from other chemical manufacturers.  Check with your local supplier and see if they have anything similar.

This product will automatically adjust your pH once your alkalinity is balanced upon your fresh fill.  Its a liquid that is added to the water and only really requires one application every fill and substantially cuts back on the pH fluctuations.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:16:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42