What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot springs vs bullfrog vs jacuzzi vs Maax  (Read 24475 times)

Blueandwhite

Hot springs vs bullfrog vs jacuzzi vs Maax
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:37:38 pm »
Looking to buy a new hot tub. The Maax 481 looked good to us. We like the energy efficiency and lack of foam insulation which seems like it would be difficult to repair if a leak occurred. The decreased plumbing seemed liked a good thing on the bullfrog too.  Any opinions? I saw a lot of back and forth about bullfrog tubs in the forum but not much about the Maax tubs recently. We also looked at a hot springs grandee which looked nice as well. Thanks for any help!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot springs vs bullfrog vs jacuzzi vs Maax
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:37:38 pm »

MuddyIronman

Re: Hot springs vs bullfrog vs jacuzzi vs Maax
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:52:34 am »
I wet tested a few of the HotSprings- Envoy and grandee and loved them!  The moto massage, lounge comfort, jet power, lighting, waterfall, and lcd remote all impressed me.  I also researched Watkins, maker of both HotSpring and Caldera and they are USA made except their HotSpots just like BullFrog.  They also own Endless Pools, Fantasy, and Freeflow.  Very good customer service and warranty. The price of course is the only issue for me bc its well over $10K for many of the high end tubs.  Once I wet test bullfrog this week ill let ya know.  Ill prob go with a purchase of HotSprings Flair in the end.

ive talked to lots of dealers and many say they'd go HotSpring before Jacuzzi, and Jacuzzi before Bullfrog.  Of course just opinions im not knocking any as others will say the complete opposite.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:07:56 am »
Just to clarify, Hot Spot and Limelight collections from Watkins are built in Mexico along with Sundance/Jacuzzi...some people care about that, some don't, everyone has the right to an opinion either way on whether that should be a deciding factor when buying a spa when they are laying down their own cash.

I would def. put a Jacuzzi or Bullfrog at a higher level of spa than a Maax which is more of an "average middle of the road spa" in my opinion whereas Bullfrogs A/R collections and Jacuzzi's 300/400 collections would be considered "premium" spa to me.  With that said the proofs always in the pudding...go wet test some spas in your price range and see what suits you and your family the best!

good luck

Blueandwhite

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:02:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies. We just wet test a Maax 471 and it was great. Quoted a little under 9k with all the extras and delivery and installation. Is this a good deal?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies. We just wet test a Maax 471 and it was great. Quoted a little under 9k with all the extras and delivery and installation. Is this a good deal?

It's a good deal if you like paying premium price for a middle of the road tub.
Retired

Blueandwhite

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 09:39:09 pm »
I have heard some posters calling Maax tubs "middle of the road" as opposed to premium. So maybe a Chevy instead of an Audi? I'm not sure what it means to be middle of the road as a hot tub. Can you give examples of what qualifies it as middling? Is it the build quality, components, reliability? What do I get for choosing a premium tub exactly? Is an R series bullfrog better than the 471? I got quoted 11K for a R8L without a cover, lift or sound system. What does that extra 2K get me? Thanks again for your help. Shopping for a hot tub is more complicated than I expected.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:41:19 am »
I find MAXX lacking on insulation, which equates to energy hungry. Seems the noise level ends up high because of this also. Their equipment area laid out sloppily. The fit and finish of the cabinet and components sloppy.

But maybe the wet test says it is the tub for you.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:43:05 am by Tman122 »
Retired

Blueandwhite

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 11:44:56 am »
Interesting. They make a big deal about their energy efficiency and insulation. They show a chart in which they exceed energy efficiency standards in CAlifornia and compare their bigger spa with other brand spas and it is more efficient. Also they say repair technicians don't have to deal with digging through foam. $8900 seemed a fair price. Am I paying too much?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 12:44:44 pm »
Interesting. They make a big deal about their energy efficiency and insulation. They show a chart in which they exceed energy efficiency standards in CAlifornia and compare their bigger spa with other brand spas and it is more efficient. Also they say repair technicians don't have to deal with digging through foam. $8900 seemed a fair price. Am I paying too much?

I'm not sure those efficiency standards are that tough to meet. Every spa brand makes a big deal out of how well their spa is insulated including those that really are and those that actually aren't.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 01:22:42 pm »

I think you can get more spa for 8900. Be patient, kick some skirts. Maybe sit in a few and absolutely look inside the cabinets.
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 01:36:59 pm »
I find MAXX lacking on insulation, which equates to energy hungry. Seems the noise level ends up high because of this also. Their equipment area laid out sloppily. The fit and finish of the cabinet and components sloppy.

Generally less expensive construction can lead to lower prices. Not to say that a lessor life expectancy is necessarily less value. Parts can be easy to find at good prices and changing out parts isn't that hard. Less insulation means easier to work on, maybe that's important to you? You have 4 good choices in front of you. See which is comfortable on your back side first then start looking at construction.
Retired

Blueandwhite

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 01:59:47 pm »

I'm not sure those efficiency standards are that tough to meet. Every spa brand makes a big deal out of how well their spa is insulated including those that really are and those that actually aren't.

Here's a chart they like to use to say how efficient they are

http://www.allaboutspas.com/How-Much-Does-it-Cost-to-Run-a-Hot-Tub-s/26252.htm

Blueandwhite

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 02:06:23 pm »

Generally less expensive construction can lead to lower prices. Not to say that a lessor life expectancy is necessarily less value. Parts can be easy to find at good prices and changing out parts isn't that hard. Less insulation means easier to work on, maybe that's important to you? You have 4 good choices in front of you. See which is comfortable on your back side first then start looking at construction.

It seems to me that easy to work on means less time being repaired if something goes wrong. Of course, not needing repairs is even better.

In my area I could only wet test the Maax and hot springs envoy. Maax was definitely better in fit and ability to individually control jets. Also the lounge chair was much better since my wife didn't float away. I'd love to wet test the bullfrog or jacuzzi but can't. Is $8900 to much to pay for the Maax? What would be fair? Or are you saying I could get better for the money?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 07:01:50 pm »

All about spas launches a web site stating more efficiency from the spas they sell......hmmmmm
Retired

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 12:05:45 am »

What a bogus chart. Random spas.  Grandee listed twice with different dimensions and cost.
These numbers are for "stand by mode".  This is assuming you do not use the spa.  It is just maintaining heat with the cover on.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 12:05:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42